Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 09:34 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
Anyway, in regards to the sex shops, strip clubs, etc. as long as they keep the property clean and attractive and keep illegal activity away I do not see a real problem.
I agree.

There's no reason you can't have a nice grocery store, some strip clubs, a coffee shop, a few massage parlors, art galleries, a few restaurants to take the family to, some more gentlemen's clubs, an ice cream shop, an adult toy store, a kids toy store, a wine bar, some more massage parlors, etc., all located side by side in a pleasant city environment.

What community could object to that? I can't think of other examples of that in Atlanta but I'm sure there must be plenty of areas like that in cities around the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 10:43 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
... I'm sure there must be plenty of areas like that in cities around the country.

There are, yes...and around the world as well.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:51 AM

I don't know why more upscale communities don't go that route.

You have to wonder why Ponce City Market isn't going after the massage parlors, strip clubs and adult toy stores. They would be perfect in an urban mixed use context.

And now that I think about it, they'be perfect at Gwinnett Place Mall or some of our other hurting malls. There's tons of room there and they all have great access.

Better yet, they could be the salvation of south downtown.

Last edited by arjay57; 03-30-2013 at 11:01 AM..

Old 03-30-2013, 11:37 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times
Arjay, if they were trying to move to my neighborhood, I would probably try to stop them. But if I moved to a place where they were established, I wouldn't.

That's the whole of my stance.

You live in a big city, you move to a place where there are these established businesses --- it was your decision. (I don't necessarily mean you Arjay) I cannot support a person that wants to come in and set up shop and then make everyone else change in order to conform to their wishes.

Also, if I was on the city council, I would not like to have to be put in a position to defend strip clubs and sex shops. But I would, as I know that a city the size of Atlanta warrants a healthy adult business sector. I'm sure the people pushing for the change in zoning for the street will start employing tactics painting to council members into a corner. "Oh, you don't want to close these existing adult businesses? So you must support strippers and sex toy peddlers! Look at Councilman Soandso! He supports the SEX INDUSTRY! He must be some immoral pervert!"

Old 03-30-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
There are, yes...and around the world as well.
Somebody should pass these examples on to those people in Piedmont Heights, Morningside and Lindridge-Martin Manor. It sounds like they've been blundering along for the last 20 years trying to "clean things up" on Cheshire Bridge when they've already got heaven on earth.

To be honest, this smells suspiciously like a another intown yuppie takeover. Look at the hell they've already rained down in places like Midtown, Poncey-Highland, Inman Park, Buckhead Village, East Lake, O4W, Castleberry Hill, Ponce de Leon, L5P and Kirkwood. You can see them frothing at the mouth right now along the new streetcar route.

Don't these people ever get enough?

Old 03-30-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Arjay, if they were trying to move to my neighborhood, I would probably try to stop them. But if I moved to a place where they were established, I wouldn't.
Tiki, as I said above, the residential communities there long predated the arrival of adult businesses. They just sort of crept in during the years that Cheshire Bridge was in decline as people moved out of the city.

But cities are dynamic, changing places. The fact that a stretch of road may have been neglected doesn't mean that it has to stay that way forever. Look at the rejuvenation of the Ponce corridor. Or of Midtown. Or the Marietta corridor. Or what they are trying to do along Stewart Avenue, MLK, south downtown and Northside Drive.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:

Better yet, they could be the salvation of south downtown.
Hey, thats not such a bad idea. As long as they clean up all the zombie like folks walking around there doing nothing.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Tiki, as I said above, the residential communities there long predated the arrival of adult businesses. They just sort of crept in during the years that Cheshire Bridge was in decline as people moved out of the city.

But cities are dynamic, changing places. The fact that a stretch of road may have been neglected doesn't mean that it has to stay that way forever. Look at the rejuvenation of the Ponce corridor. Or of Midtown. Or the Marietta corridor. Or what they are trying to do along Stewart Avenue, MLK, south downtown and Northside Drive.
Fair enough. But is it the people that have been living there the whole time that want the change, or the newer residents?

The main problem I have with this is that this is not a natural evolution of the neighborhood. Its not like other parts of town where a once slummy part of town suddenly begins to have investment pour into the area and property values rise. In turn pushing out the low rent shady businesses. This, as I understand it, is a group of yuppie type folks (I'm generalizing), moving in and forcing the area to change through regulation. That's not gentrification a la areas like Ponce or Marietta St.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:45 PM

Seriously, South Downtown would be a fantastic place to put the strip clubs, massage parlors, etc. It's got fantastic access from all over the city, including both the Five Points and Garnett MARTA stations. It's close to Georgia State, Atlanta University Center and Georgia Tech. It would also be a boon to the downtown convention trade and would be a wonderful place for fans to stop in before or after a Hawks, Braves or Falcons game. Only a couple of blocks from the new streetcar, too.

Something like this could really get that area bumping and transform South Downtown into the 24 hour party district that many believe this town needs.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Seriously, South Downtown would be a fantastic place to put the strip clubs, massage parlors, etc. It's got fantastic access from all over the city, including both the Five Points and Garnett MARTA stations. It's close to Georgia State, Atlanta University Center and Georgia Tech. It would also be a boon to the downtown convention trade and would be a wonderful place for fans to stop in before or after a Hawks, Braves or Falcons game. Only a couple of blocks from the new streetcar, too.

Something like this could really get that area bumping and transform South Downtown into the 24 hour party district that many believe this town needs.
Agreed. Now all they need to do is clean that part of town up and let the adult businesses pour in!

I really do think that this could be a great idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta