Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2013, 03:47 PM

330 posts, read 1,084,833 times

Advertisements

What is available in GA for self employed people? Does the state subsidize anything for self employed?

Im still in NY and we have a program like this that has income thresholds, you can only make so much money to qualify. It still costs me $550/month for family coverage.

So does GA have anything like this? If not what would I be paying for a family plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 04:45 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
I don't know, but sometimes you can find professional groups that buy into health insurance.

I had a good friend who was a phycician and started his own practice. Yep, the irony......a physician without access to decent health insurance. It happens! He looked and looked, and finally found some kind of professional group, I forget what it was, like the southern physicians alliance, or something. It wasn't the AMA, it was some other group. Membership into the group was really cheap and membes were entitled to some group rate insurance they had arranged.

So maybe you can find a group like that you can join that does the same thing. That's all I really know of. I think you can also call the Georgia Insurance Commissioners office if you can't get insured and they will force someone to insure you, but I don't know if they have any influence over the premiums you can be charged.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:45 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
I buy my own directly from insurance companies, but I'm just an individual.... for now it isn't too expensive.

I once knew someone that had an illness that made his insurance rates go sky high... he ended up moving to NY just to get into a self-employed insurance group (for people in that industry), so he could have insurance.

Georgia isn't a state to go out of their way to help. They do a good job regulating that people get what they pay for and aren't pushed off insurance after getting sick (and had been paying for it previously).

They do a poor job of regulating rates from going too high after someone gets an expensive illness.

Hopefully, someone knows something I don't.

One thing is the new national Affordable Care Act starting next year will really start helping people on a large scale, depending on how much you make

Health Reform Subsidy Calculator - Kaiser Health Reform

It will be interesting to see how this works when it actually starts.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:08 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
What is available in GA for self employed people? Does the state subsidize anything for self employed?

Im still in NY and we have a program like this that has income thresholds, you can only make so much money to qualify. It still costs me $550/month for family coverage.

So does GA have anything like this? If not what would I be paying for a family plan?
I am technically self-employed, although I don't own my own business or anything. I'm just a freelance guy who shows up to show sites when called.

I switched to my union insurance this year (better plan, less money), but before that, I had myself and my wife covered through Blue Cross Blue Shield. We had a $2500 deductible plan with a maternity rider, dental, vision, and even a life insurance rider...total cost for both of us was about $818 a month. When our son was born, it shot up to almost $1300 a month, which is what led me to go to my union plan.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:10 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,072 times
Check out places like Costco who has a deal with Aetna to offer coverage in some states.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the replies. I will have to look in to it more. Im in my 40s and dont want to go without when i move down.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:52 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,858,568 times
If you own a small business and run payroll, your payroll company may also offer coverage through their group plan. I use a company called Paychex and they offered this service.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:52 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Last time we checked, the Costco program was not offered in GA. We found coverage through the state insurance board, Blue Cross PPO. For a family of 4 we are paying $995/month, with a family deductible of $5000.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:35 AM

32,022 posts, read 36,782,996 times
We get ours through a private insurance company and we do a $10.000 deductible to keep the premiums down. It's around $1300 a month but we are a little older and have had some health issues.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:42 PM

Ouch! Those numbers hurt! guess im not going to get a deal like I have up here in NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta