Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 07:20 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,842,507 times

Advertisements

Atlanta itself is relatively new so the desirability hasn't necessarily caught up with it yet. That means that the more desirable to people an area is the more it costs, But Atlanta has just recently became a desirable city so the prices will most likely rise. As previous posters have stated Woodstock is kind of out there, There is no easy way to get into the city without traffic so the prices are probably cheaper out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 11:10 PM

13,710 posts, read 21,729,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Atlanta itself is relatively new so the desirability hasn't necessarily caught up with it yet. That means that the more desirable to people an area is the more it costs, But Atlanta has just recently became a desirable city so the prices will most likely rise. As previous posters have stated Woodstock is kind of out there, There is no easy way to get into the city without traffic so the prices are probably cheaper out there.
OMG this is so stupid ... and so wrong. Atlanta relatively new?! Atlanta not desirable?! ROTFL!

Atlanta has been "desirable" for 40-plus years -- and the low cost of housing is one of the most "desirable" things about it! But even as millions of people have moved to Atlanta over the years, housing prices have remained reasonable because of the low cost of land. The price a builder pays for an individual lot is the single biggest driver in the final cost the buyer is going to pay.

The closer into the city, where lot prices are higher, naturally home prices are going to be higher. The further away from the city (and again, Atlanta's suburbs have no boundaries) the cheaper the land AND the house.

There are exceptions to this of course, one being Fayette County which has very strict land use and zoning codes. Down there, a raw acre of undeveloped land can cost about $100,000 -- meaning a developer has to build $300,000-$400,000 houses on it just to turn a profit. That's why there's no low-end housing in Fayette County. Make sense?

Old 04-04-2013, 11:24 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,935,525 times
What else do you think is at play, though?

For example, I lived in Birmingham, where land has to be cheap, but houses were still more expensive than Atlanta. There has to be more to explain it than just plenty of cheap land.

Is it super easy to get materials here? A surplus of cheap labor? Simple to navigate bulding codes?

It's got to be a combination of things.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:58 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,053,899 times
Atlanta really isn't that desirable....many of the new transplants here really only move here because of job transfer. Atlanta does not have nearly the desirability as cities such as NYC, SF, Miami, and LA...why else is land so cheap? It's because it's not appreciated enough. It's like Houston and Dallas. Nobody really moves to those metros because they are so excited and can't wait to.

Even Chicago is cheap despite being a relatively dense city and it's mainly because...well, it doesn't that much desirability and an overabundance of land.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:06 AM

If you would think for just one second, you would realize that land is much more scarce in these cities because:

NYC is an island and bordered by water
SF is bordered by water and mountains
Miami is bordered by water and the Everglades
LA is bordered by water and mountains

All of these things make land more scarce and therefore more valuable. The only city in the list with sprawl anything close to Atlanta's is LA, and land gets much cheaper when you get into the inland empire, pretty much the only direction that allows for great expansion.

Houston and Dallas (Dallas especially) share Atlanta's ability to expand in every direction almost limitlessly. Houston only has a small coastline nearby to stop it, but the other directions have no natural barriers to development.

Personal desirability doesn't affect land value as much as pure supply and demand. It doesn't matter how desirable an area is, it only depends how many people need to live there versus what is available. I wouldn't call Houston a desirable place to live, but the energy sector has created a huge demand for housing there. You don't have to think Atlanta is desirable, but the number of employers here has created a demand for housing. It makes no difference why people are moving here, the fact that they are moving here is the only requirement to affect land value.

NYC, SF, Miami, and LA don't have high value because they are desirable. They have high value because of the number of people who need to live there (of which desirability may play a small role, but a distant second to job availability) versus how much land/housing is actually available.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:02 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,053,899 times
Oh sheesh, just shut it with the 'it's bounded' excuse. No. London and Paris aren't bounded by ANYTHING other then a river running through the core of the cities, yet they are very expensive to live in. NYC in it's core might be bounded, but it's suburbs certainly are not, yet it's suburbs are still more expensive then Atlanta's are. Same as SF. The city itself is bounded, but it's suburbs reach far and wide. So is it now Atlanta's suburbs vs. the city cores of the cities I mentioned?

I know the desirability to live in each of the cities I mentioned are MUCH higher then Atlanta's. LA because of nice weather and it's reputation....NYC because of the glamour, status, and walkability. Miami because of the beaches, weather and beautiful girls. SF because of it's charm and walkability.

Seattle is bounded by water and mountains, yet it isn't as expensive as those cities? Where's the argument for that? Or how about New Orleans? Another coastal city bounded by water, yet isn't very expensive. I guarantee you if Atlanta had a desirability to that of the cities I mentioned, it would be more expensive to live in, then again, it would also be denser and more built up because of the constant flow of people moving here in the city. But Atlanta CHOOSES to build further and further out.

Desirability plays a role in quantity demanded. Desirability is what makes demand elastic.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:19 AM

Desirability means absolutely nothing unless there are jobs to support the people who desire to live in a place, unless it is so desirable it can draw enough people with other money, like say Hawaii.

It may play a role, yes, but it does not explain why Atlanta is cheaper than places that are nowhere near as desirable.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:33 AM

10,727 posts, read 13,229,224 times
Desirable... Hmm... I think that's really a personal preference thing. I have a great friend in St. Marlo (Duluth / Suwanee). It is a beautiful neighborhood with convenient shopping to just about all the offerings anyone would need. Terrific schools. Nice roads. It's just a ways out from the city. BUT, that family desires St. Marlo. They could afford to live anywhere in Buckhead or Midtown, but they don't desire that. And, quite frankly, it's understandable. They live in a very nice large house with a large yard and swimming pool. Their taxes are a tenth of what I pay in the city proper. I don't know... That's understandably desirable. I think it all depends upon what folks find attractive. Perhaps Atlanta and its environs are cheaper because so many folks do desire something other than living in a dense urban core...

Old 04-05-2013, 05:43 AM

Are you sure they could afford Buckhead or Midtown?

Because I thought from reading this board that anybody who lives in a country club community outside the city limits of Atlanta must be a classless nouveau riche person who most certainly would never be able to live in an established area like Buckhead or Midtown!

Old 04-05-2013, 05:47 AM

10,727 posts, read 13,229,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Are you sure they could afford Buckhead or Midtown?

Because I thought from reading this board that anybody who lives in a country club community outside the city limits of Atlanta must be a classless nouveau riche person who most certainly would never be able to live in an established area like Buckhead or Midtown!
You are so right ATLTJL!!!! I forgot the rules of this board, apparently!!!! Silly me!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta