Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 06:00 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It's truly a magical and special night in Atlanta. From downtown to Midtown the whole core is simply vibrant. This is what convinces me Atlanta can become the next Chicago of the south. I have more faith in the densification of Atlanta's core than Dallas or Houston. It has the best backbone of the three city. It has the bes tourist districts out of all of them. Also the most annual visitors. I hope in 10 years, Atlanta is a different city in my eyes.
Dallas keeps their sport venues in the suburbs, Dallas will always loose points to me for that. I think Most of Houstons stuff is in their central core of the metro so props to them for that.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
I'm so mad MARTA didn't up the frequency when they KNEW it was going to be a busy day. Especially with all the media scaring people to death about bad traffic...
I never had to wait long between CNN DOME station and Hammy Holmes station, may 10 minutes at the lease both ways, for a weekend run I say it was pretty frequent or at least it seemed so.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Why isn't this a legitimate concern? The city doesn't have money to pave streets, install sidewalks or provide playground equipment.

It seems to me that if a park is being trampled to the extent that there's not a single blade of grass left and it's been turned into a field of brown mud, then whoever set up the event ought to pay for the damage.

There's a high probability that many of the people who did the trampling don't even live in the COA.
What was weird though was ther was no rain Friday afternoon, friday evening or Saturday at all, but it was still muddy Sunday morning, were did all that wetness come from beer? lol There was a lot of beer and a lot of weed smoking going on but I aint mad at that. Plus it was kinda funny seeing people slip and fall in the mud. I saw several funny accidents, I may need to watch were I walk for the next few days because Im sure I have slip and fall karma coming my way lol.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:20 AM

135 posts, read 533,342 times
I was only able to go Friday night, but MMJ was amazing!

Old 04-08-2013, 06:39 AM

402 posts, read 703,863 times
BTW, most people from out of town were confused as to where the bars were. They've heard of a great bar scene in Atlanta, but saw none downtown. Unfortunately, I had to explain to them that downtown sucks 364 days out of the year. Kinda embarrassing.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:01 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosolar View Post
BTW, most people from out of town were confused as to where the bars were. They've heard of a great bar scene in Atlanta, but saw none downtown. Unfortunately, I had to explain to them that downtown sucks 364 days out of the year. Kinda embarrassing.
There are several bars either directly across the street from the park, or within two or three blocks. A lot of people just need their hands to be held.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:02 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post

Or Atlanta's The Underground, which tourists are often told-is a must-see (which there really isn't thing in there worth seeing or doing. Any decent stores it had closed):
Ronald Reagan was president the last time a tourist was told that Underground is a must-see.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:04 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I hope they posted a bond for it as well. It would suck for all the grass to get trampled and not be replaced.
It wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't a bond. There have been a lot of huge events in the park that didn't destroy tthe lawn. The organizers probably figured this would be no different.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:07 AM

687 posts, read 745,008 times
Was so proud to call Atlanta my home town this weekend......Downtown on Saturday night was BUZZING!

All the pimped-up cars on Peachtree Street, people spilling out of every bar, beautiful weather, great music.....awesome, awesome, awesome!!!

Old 04-08-2013, 07:54 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, who is going to pay to replace all that grass?

Or is that just one more thing the taxpayers in the COA need to pick up? Even though we can't even get playground equipment or sidewalks?

If there's not a single blade of grass left in Olympic park and it's a field of brown mud, who's going to be attracted to that?
The COA won't pay for it, because it's not a city park. Centennial Park is part of the GWCC Authority, and they should be the ones who fund the repair, either out of their own pockets (state tax money allocated to them by the general assembly), or from insurance or bond money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta