Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 02:55 PM

501 posts, read 801,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Atlanta is boring. People should stop telling people jobs are plentiful in Atlanta when they're not--unless they want to work service jobs and even those are hard to get.
I agree, before I finished my program the nurses stated the hospitals here are very difficult to get into even for established nurses, they stated Emory, Grady as well some other hospitals whose target market are the insured and affluent are those that you have to know someone to get in.

To the other posters who presume because someone is suggesting the OP seek another city for employment, is not an attempt to cast a negative vibe on this city-however truth is truth. I have been unemployed for going on 2 years and have applied not only in healthcare but service jobs (including fast food) and have had no such luck. I have since decided to expand my job search out of state and currently have a job prospect elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 08:11 AM

8 posts, read 34,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAMC View Post
Hey everyone, I would like to relocate to Atlanta and I really need some advice on finding a job in the Atlanta area. I understand that most people there are educated and having a college degree does not help you stand out any further than anyone else but, I do have a bachelors in healthcare management and I currently work in the healthcare field. I have tried contacting staffing agencies but they only assist with locals unless you're an MD, RN, Nurse practitioner or something like that. I'm trying to stay optimistic with my job search, I apply for government jobs in hopes of landing something. I'm sure people inquire about this all the time. Are there job fairs or networking events happening there? How would I find out about them? Also I'm from KY and really need a change. Just looking for some solid advice. Should I just put my Atlanta dreams behind me? Lol Sometimes, it just seems like an impossible place to get to. Like, if your not already in, there's no getting in. Well any advice is appreciated, I will continue my search for as long as I can. Thanks guys!
It's a good idea to keep applying for government public health/health administration jobs (especially at the federal level). The CDC, and many health care oriented agencies' regional offices are based in Atlanta. But just keep in mind that you may not be viewed as highly competitive, if you do not have a master's in public health or some other health oriented graduate degree and ample years of health care management oriented work experience.

My education and work experience is in Public Health Administration, and I currently work as a Public Health Analyst. Relocating to ATL and working in Health Care Management/Public Health is definitely doable, but you should make sure that you have all of the necessary requisite skills to be viewed as highly competitive, so that you can get the interview, and ultimately be selected for the position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta