Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 11:07 AM

3 posts, read 4,169 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I've been reading through this site for a few weeks now and have found a lot of great information.

I'm a 22y/o white male graduating college this may. I'm not from the ATL area, but Im hoping to have a job lined up in Cobb County. I've been trying to find the best place to live. I've read that Marietta and Smyrna areas are mostly families and aren't ideal for mid-20s. So, I started looking around the Vinings area. I'd like to find an area inside the perimeter just for the fact that that's where it seems most other people my age are. But at the same time, I don't want the most expensive area either.

My salary would be around $40-45,000. No debt, no loans, car paid off.

Is Vinings too expensive?

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 11:40 AM

36 posts, read 106,361 times
If you are planning on renting in Vinings, you should be just fine.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:25 PM

Yeah, I'm planning on renting.

Thanks for the reply Twenty Five!

Anybody else have any advice?

Old 04-07-2013, 01:37 PM

894 posts, read 1,325,245 times
You'll find a nice 1bedroom for 850-900 in vinings.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the advice, pit2atl.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:28 PM

924 posts, read 1,456,105 times
If you expand your search just a bit on the other side of 285 in that area you can get more bang for your buck and still be near everything you want to do in the area. I graduated from college in 2007 with the same situation with a job in Cobb County not being from Atlanta originally and I ended up getting an apartment about a mile northwest of 285 and it was a good decision. You just don't want to move up into the actual city of Marietta but really Cobb County as a whole has more young people than you would expect. Kennesaw State is up over 20,000 students so even up that way has a good amount of younger people.

With that said, Vinings isn't impossible to live in with that salary by any means if that is what you prefer. I would generally recommend there, the side of Smyrna close to Vinings(which a lot of apartment complexes are trying to name them Vinings something these days), or over around the Akers Mill/southern end of Powers Ferry Rd area.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:16 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
22 years old, no debt and you work in Cobb County? If you can handle the commute, live close to midtown. You can always move out the suburbs later... just make sure that you spend at least a summer and a spring in town where you can meet some folks.

If you are coming from a dorm situation, having a roommate won't be too much of an adjustment (which you might need to be able to comfortably swing rent for a house).

I think you'll like it.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:50 AM

421 posts, read 749,660 times
I second midtown. You can afford to live there on that salary with no debt or kids and you will have a much more fun time.

Your commute would be reverse so it would be a smooth drive. I'd look into it.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:34 AM

190 posts, read 318,827 times
Midtown is great, definitely not knocking it, but one thing that Vinings has going for it is an abundance of single women. I'm taken, so I won't comment too much about it, but my gosh, if I were single, that's where I would want to be. I'll admit, if I have to go to the grocery store, I'll make sure I stop by the Publix in Vinings (I hope that doesn't make me a dirty old man?). Plus it's only about a 10 minute drive downtown and maybe 15 to buckhead, so I think it's a great location. Just my two cents.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:54 AM

924 posts, read 1,456,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiime View Post
Midtown is great, definitely not knocking it, but one thing that Vinings has going for it is an abundance of single women. I'm taken, so I won't comment too much about it, but my gosh, if I were single, that's where I would want to be. I'll admit, if I have to go to the grocery store, I'll make sure I stop by the Publix in Vinings (I hope that doesn't make me a dirty old man?). Plus it's only about a 10 minute drive downtown and maybe 15 to buckhead, so I think it's a great location. Just my two cents.
That is definitely a great Publix...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta