Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 05:48 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,836,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Maybe it's "all those transplants" ruining the city and providing poor customer service.
Or maybe it's the fact that the OP is expecting a "dining experience" at Waffle House and fast food spots. We've only had good experiences at restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 06:05 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,081,479 times
No, I'm expecting just as any good server does, to come back to the table at least once or twice during my 'dining experience' to check on things or fill up the cup. I shouldn't have to beg for the server's attention.

Even at some of the higher end spots like Longhorns or Arizona's, I've had a few terrible dining experiences.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:52 PM

644 posts, read 1,424,741 times
Why are any of us even responding to this thread??

Old 04-07-2013, 07:07 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,846,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
4/5 times I'm out by myself or with friends, I get terrible service. Usually, it's either, it takes forever for them to seat me, forever for them to take my order, or forever for them to come back and check on my table, if at all sometimes. Why is that such a problem here in Atlanta? When I vacation in LA yearly, 9/10 times I get great service and the people working seems enthusiastic about their job. Here, the waitresses/waiters seem lazy and don't want to do their job and just want to collect the paycheck. They do the BARE minimum required. And they wonder why they only get a 10% tip from me, if even a tip at all? For the rare times, I get incredible service(note, it is rare), I give a 30% tip. Sometimes, even when you're courteous, they will get an attitude with you. Like why? I'm not surprised to see new people working at places like Waffle house every week. Southern Hospitality at it's best.

Anyone else have this problem here?
Self-fulfilling prophecy is the first thing that came to mind when I read your opening post. I recall telling an unenthusiastic (rude) waitress that I was having a bad day until I met her. Subsequent encounters with her were very pleasant after that.

Ant, humble yourself when you're in a restaurant. Slow down and be patient. We all go into restaurants of our own volition. Try putting out positive energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I find that you often get back what you put out. I always try to be nice and friendly to people I encounter, and I usually get good service in return.
Agreed!

Old 04-07-2013, 08:14 PM

Humble myself? 99% of the time, I don't even know these people or never met them. I only judge their service after the fact. That's fine though. If I don't receive positive service, I'm simply not going to tip them and I know how much these waiters need tips. The good ones will receive a hefty 30% tip from me. That's how I reward good service and those who do their job properly.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:21 PM

924 posts, read 1,449,057 times
It is rare for me to have a bad experience here. I spent 2 weeks in Chicago in March and generally the service everywhere there was awful. Adequate service was the exception.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:29 PM

31,994 posts, read 36,548,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
That's how I reward good service and those who do their job properly.
And punish those who don't meet your standards?

I must say I've been going to Waffle House for 50 years and have always had good service. I've also had many a pleasant conversation with their cooks and wait staff, and have become friends with several. They are typically hardworking people and many have been with the company for years.

The few times in my life when I've had bad service in a restaurant I still tipped but spoke to the server directly, or, if they were not available, to the manager. I'd rather give them the benefit of the doubt and hear their side of the story. It's possible that I may have been the one causing the problem.

Either way I'd rather get it out in the open instead of just stiffing them.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:37 PM

How is it punishment if they didn't do their jobs to the best of their abilities? If the same were to occur in the business professions, they would get fired rather quickly. What makes blue collar jobs any different? I'm talking about very bad service. Normal service, I will give the usual 20% tip...Great or excellent service, I will give 30%. One time, I've given a 50$ tip due to how nice and friendly the women was.

Would you rather them be fired or simply not given a tip?

Old 04-07-2013, 08:40 PM

31,994 posts, read 36,548,100 times
What did they say when you told them about your complaints?

Old 04-07-2013, 08:45 PM

I don't report it to the managers. I simply pay for my food and leave. If it really isn't an anomaly, then they will eventually get fired. Why else do I see new people working at the WH's in downtown every 2 weeks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: