Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 02:14 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
I have always found it interesting that private schools don't publically post thier standardized test scores. There are some that make their average SAT score available but none (at least any of those that I have researched) publish scores for middle or elementary schools. I did read a report from 2003 which if I can find will post a link here that showed virtually no difference (with the exception of public school 8th graders scoring higher than private in mathematics) when you looked at the students from a socio economic perspective. I think the bottom line was students living in upper middle class and upper class neighborhoods and attending the public schools that served those areas and students in private schools had virtually the same skill set.

My thinking has always been if you can afford to live in an area with good public schools you are better off taking those private school funds and putting them away for college. Just my thoughts.

There was a lengthy article published by Money Magazine that extensively analyzed and outlined this very phenomenon. Overall conclusion: Save your money and send your kids to public schools...even in the so-called average school districts! The article also concluded by stating that the problem is not the schools but the lack of initiative of students/families to take advantage of what schools offer. Bottom line: for just about any schooling situation, it comes down to parenting/student initiative--a good education is for the taking just about anywhere. Teachers are dying to get those motivated, inquisitive students and your child will receive the necessary "individualized" attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
There was a lengthy article published by Money Magazine that extensively analyzed and outlined this very phenomenon. Overall conclusion: Save your money and send your kids to public schools...even in the so-called average school districts! The article also concluded by stating that the problem is not the schools but the lack of initiative of students/families to take advantage of what schools offer. Bottom line: for just about any schooling situation, it comes down to parenting/student initiative--a good education is for the taking just about anywhere. Teachers are dying to get those motivated, inquisitive students and your child will receive the necessary "individualized" attention.
The article from Money Magazine is called "Forget the Myths--Why Private Schools are Rarely Worth the Money."

If interested, just google it and you will find it easily.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:37 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
I have a friend who is an educational consultant in a major metropolitian area. She says that her advice has changed dramatically in the past 15 years. She now tells families that if sending their children to private school will prevent them from being able to fund a college education and graduate school at top notch institutions then don't do it. If you can only afford some private, do private high school, then if you will have extra middle school etc...

Old 01-08-2008, 07:48 PM

525 posts, read 1,851,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
I have to disagree. My children attended school in a stellar Massachusetts school system. The East Cobb elementary here is far more advanced and offers so much more. I am sure there are some school systems here that are academically weak but not all of them. If you move here do your research.
Thank you for saying this! My dh relatives who live in Boston feel sorry for our son because he will be getting a southern (I guess redneck) education in Georgia.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:04 AM

27 posts, read 153,350 times
Default Top Atlanta Schools

Good idea. One site that is really helpful for schools is a local real estate site, but they went through and analyzed test scores for the top schools, elementary, middle and high school and ranked the schools. They also used those rankings and applied them to the feeder systems to come up with the top systems (elementary-middle-high). You can instantly see which homes are available in each school district and use that as your basis for further research. You can check it out at www.H2realty.com/schools

Last edited by SmyrnaVinings; 01-11-2008 at 09:46 AM..

Old 01-11-2008, 03:31 PM

10 posts, read 46,562 times
Default Metro Atl Schools

don't over look the school just bec it "looks bad on paper"... test scores do not tell the whole story.

Check out the NewsWeek article
"The Top of the Class, The complete list of the 1,300 top U.S. schools" This outlines the top 5% HS in the nation... yes, there are several GA school listed. Also, Marietta HS gets a bad rap on a lot of posts. It is actually a very nice school... folks might be mistaking their avg test scores (yes, this school services a diverse community) as a "bad mark".

Old 01-11-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmy2cents View Post
don't over look the school just bec it "looks bad on paper"... test scores do not tell the whole story.

Check out the NewsWeek article
"The Top of the Class, The complete list of the 1,300 top U.S. schools" This outlines the top 5% HS in the nation... yes, there are several GA school listed. Also, Marietta HS gets a bad rap on a lot of posts. It is actually a very nice school... folks might be mistaking their avg test scores (yes, this school services a diverse community) as a "bad mark".
Good post.

Marietta High is a great school.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:31 PM

Default International Baccalaureate Programme at Campbell Middle School

For the plethora of residents from Smyrna/Vinings on this forum...

The International Baccalaureate (IB) Middle Years Programme (MYP) will be starting at Campbell Middle School. This is an excellent asset/option for those of you who live in the area.

Good Luck.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:55 AM

5 posts, read 29,583 times
I agree with that....'cause I just posted asking that same question...sorry.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:27 PM
aeh

318 posts, read 1,621,434 times
Default What about North Atlanta HS??

Hi: Am wanting to know what people know about North Atlanta HS? My kids are average kids, not overly enthusiastic students, depends on the day. I am of the opinion that I would prefer my kids to go to public school. We have looked in other areas (Alpharetta namely) that have probably better reputations for schools but if my kids aren't overachievers as it is, will it make a difference between these two high schools? For the record, I am a former teacher. I know parents make a HUGE difference and after struggling for seven years now to try to help my boys be strong students, I am realizing part of me has to realize that while I can help them, there is only so much one can do. Hopefully, with maturity they will come around a bit more, too! Anyway, thoughts on NAHS???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta