Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2008, 02:36 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,743 times

Advertisements

We're on the same page, kaday.

Lots of people on the forum report, like you, that they are surrounded by other transplants. Everyone in my (older, cheaper) East Cobb neighborhood seems Very Southern, and I get the feeling they are not particularly keen on the northern invasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 03:20 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,037 times
We do still encounter the Northern invasion stuff.

It is funny to be considered a "New Yorker" you have to have lived in the city for ten years so that did not happen, in Massachusetts we were always and would always be outsiders. I wonder how long it will be until I am not the "Jersey" girl here. I guess maybe I'll have to finally lose the accent!

Old 05-02-2008, 11:38 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Maybe I'm an aberration, a native, but I have never been around people who were that interested in 'Yankees or transplants', meaning they didn't classify people in that way.

As the traffic/air quality has gotten worse I have 'blamed' anyone/everyone connected to bringing this slice of H into my life.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:28 PM

That is refreshing. I'd rather Just be a person. Sorry about all the traffic issues we ar causing. Hopefully you don't mind all the prosperity that comes when the population swells.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:38 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
That is refreshing. I'd rather Just be a person. Sorry about all the traffic issues we ar causing. Hopefully you don't mind all the prosperity that comes when the population swells.

Somebody needs to let DOT know about all the prosperity and then they can magically create roads and rail lines. Then I'd like something done about the environmental noise.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:59 PM

That would be nice. Maybe they could magically create some bike lanes too! Then we'd have fit people instead of fat and clean air instead of dirty.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:05 PM

Actually one thing that attracts people to this area is how nice people are! Maybe if you were all just a little bit saucy the word would get out! People for the most part are so darn friendly, how could anyone resist?

Old 05-03-2008, 01:58 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
If I could go back to 2002, I'd probably want to look for housing ITP. We're very happy with the East Cobb schools, but we don't feel at home in the community. Everyone is SO conservative and Republican. But nobody warned us about that.
I get the impression that East Cobb is somewhat conservative compared to much of the rest of Cobb County.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:21 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I get the impression that East Cobb is somewhat conservative compared to much of the rest of Cobb County.
Thanks, RC. This is really Off Topic for the schools thread, but actually this forum is making me feel that the metro area is more socially and politically diverse than I had been able to perceive, and that's cheering me up a bit.

My family would certainly be left-leaning if we could vote (not citizens yet). My 8th grader is aware of exactly two kids at school whose families vote Democratic. Social and political views get discussed a lot at middle school, it seems, in social studies class, at lunch, etc., and it's very clear that literally 99% or more of her fellows have been raised to believe that non-Republican sympathies are so outlandish they are practically akin to supporting Osama Bin Laden or joining a satanic cult. It makes one feel isolated.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:10 PM

5 posts, read 14,538 times
Greg,

Good idea! I like to use GreatSchools.net and publicschoolreview.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta