Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2008, 03:17 AM

46 posts, read 150,017 times

Advertisements

I am new to this thread, but do have a few others out there because we are moving to Ga in November. After reading pretty much all the posts in here, I didnt see much about Cherokee County schools
(Except by Bob, BTW...you have been very helpful and informative in my other posts, TY!)

Based on research I've done at greatschool.net they seem to rank really really well, which I'm happy about! I'd just like to hear what anyone might have to say about schools in that county in general or even any one school specifically. I'm interested in learning about elementary schools since my daughter will be in Kinder this year. We are really leaning towards moving to Canton or Woodstock. Nothing certain as of yet ~ we are also keeping our eyes out for homes in Cumming as well as Roswell and Alpharetta. Schools in those counties seem to rank really well also, we just like the prices of homes better in Canton and Woodstock . I cannot wait to actually GET OUT THERE and see these areas in person!!

TIA to anyone that can share what they know with me about the schools in this county!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 09:20 AM

33 posts, read 92,821 times
"I know this sounds harsh, but it is true. The best GA public school is below average in Maryland, NY, CT, MA, and other northern cities. I hate to say it b/c I was born in South Carolina and attended public schools there. Even the best SC public schools are not that good. "

I read this post while looking through this forum, and I have to say, being a 22 year old woman who was raised in NY (not the city..a suburban area with "great schools")... I really do not see how the school system in NY can be that much better than that of other states down south. Honestly, there were still many students in my high school failing out for one reason or another.. and I supposedly went to school in a VERY good school system for NY. I have to say it was really my parents who motivated me to do well. Sure, the teacher assigns the work, but if the student is not going to do the work.. then he or she will never learn! It takes a lot more than a cirriculum to make a good school system, and I DOUBT that the cirriculum can be lacking that much more in the south.

And honestly, maybe our teachers did push us more than the teachers in the south generally do.. but I feel that that mentality created more of a segregation between the "smart" kids and the "dumb" kids.. so to speak. The students who could not keep up with the work were labeled as dumb and were not motivated, just because they couldn't keep up with the fast paced cirriculum.

We also have a lot of levels in the high school systems... for example, for pre calculus when i was a junior in high school, we had math 4, math 4ACm and math 4CA.. all of which were different versions of precalculus, depending on how skilled you were, basically. Maybe this is different than in southern states, I'm not sure? Maybe this is one of the reasons that people rate NY school systems so well... because they separate students like that to "help them learn"? Well that can be good, but it also leads to the segregation between "smart" and "dumb" that I was referring to before.. which I feel do not exist as much in the southern districts.

Bottom line: a school system is more than just academics and test scores... a school should be a place for children to call home.. a positive environment that a child who doesn't have such a great home can go to escape his or her realities... just because NY pushes their cirriculum and their students DOES NOT mean that the environment is any healthier.. and if you are looking for your kids to be motivated in academics and are worried because the southern cirriculum is not as demanding..well then YOU will just have to set your expectations high.

PS.. I am considering moving down to the south (I just received my teaching certification in New York) and any advice or responses about my post or the school systems down there would be EXTREMELY helpful! I do not want to make the wrong decision if the school systems truly are horrible.. but for now I am keeping my wishful thinking, I suppose!

Old 07-20-2008, 07:11 PM

401 posts, read 1,728,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTeacher1 View Post
"Bottom line: a school system is more than just academics and test scores... a school should be a place for children to call home.. a positive environment that a child who doesn't have such a great home can go to escape his or her realities...
NYTeacher - that is the problem with public education today. No, a school system should not be more than academics. Public schools were never intended to be a "home." Public schools should limit their focus to teaching kids who are interested in getting an education, period. They do a terrible job when they try to also be mommies. Other institutions should be handling the "mothering" for those kids who have parents who refuse to bother - NOT the schools. Ever since public school administrators have gotten in their heads that they are responsible for indoctrinating and actually raising children, the quality of public education has suffered.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:10 PM

33 posts, read 92,821 times
cmtiger-

But... if you can relate to a child, you have a better chance to motivate them. I realize that you cannot reach every child, and your focus should never solely be on "mothering" the children, but I think it is extremely important for a teacher establish a good relationship with his or her students. If a student feels comfortable in the classroom, comfortable enough that he or she can forget about whatever problems exist, then the student will have a better chance to learn. You can't expect a child to learn if they are constantly distracted by what's going on in their homelife.

I am not saying that we should be hugging and kissing our students and treating them as our own children, but I am saying that we (as teachers) need to create a comfortable learning environment.... one that will motivate children to want to come to school.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:00 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,622,731 times
Hey guys, I need a web address that list the vocational schools that are in the Atlanta area. If no web address then I would like just some names of schools in the area. Thanks.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:12 PM

11 posts, read 35,599 times
Question Cobb County Schools help.....

My husband is working in the Windy Hills/Windy Ridge area of Atlanta. Being a northern born who has never yet been to Atlanta, I am not sure of what is around that area except for Marietta. His exit to work is the Windy Hill/Windy Ridge exit (or something similar) right near 75 and 285 expressways (I think!!!). We have 4 small children and are looking for a place to call home. We want the best schools as our oldest is in an IB PYP program in our hometown (she will be in first grade next year) and we also have a 5 year old, a 3 year old and a 2 month old. Thus, elementary schools are of utmost importance right now. However, I also don't want to be in an area where we have to move again in 5 years because the middle and high schools are horrible where the elementary is great. We are in need of a 4 bedroom (at least) home in the range of $150,000 to $185,000. We want a house in a family friendly and safe neighborhood and would prefer my husband's commute to be 45 minutes or less. Any help I can get with this would be appreciated as I am now living with family in the north with our children and am anxious to get to Atlanta, get a home and get the kids in school. I included the house specs as I know that there are probably things suitable that are WAY too pricey for us. So, help on cities to look into, neighborhoods and especially which schools to look for would be most appreciated. Thank you so much!!!!

Old 07-24-2008, 08:49 AM

97 posts, read 436,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kntk View Post
My husband is working in the Windy Hills/Windy Ridge area of Atlanta. Being a northern born who has never yet been to Atlanta, I am not sure of what is around that area except for Marietta. His exit to work is the Windy Hill/Windy Ridge exit (or something similar) right near 75 and 285 expressways (I think!!!). We have 4 small children and are looking for a place to call home. We want the best schools as our oldest is in an IB PYP program in our hometown (she will be in first grade next year) and we also have a 5 year old, a 3 year old and a 2 month old. Thus, elementary schools are of utmost importance right now. However, I also don't want to be in an area where we have to move again in 5 years because the middle and high schools are horrible where the elementary is great. We are in need of a 4 bedroom (at least) home in the range of $150,000 to $185,000. We want a house in a family friendly and safe neighborhood and would prefer my husband's commute to be 45 minutes or less. Any help I can get with this would be appreciated as I am now living with family in the north with our children and am anxious to get to Atlanta, get a home and get the kids in school. I included the house specs as I know that there are probably things suitable that are WAY too pricey for us. So, help on cities to look into, neighborhoods and especially which schools to look for would be most appreciated. Thank you so much!!!!
I think you are going to be very hard pressed to find a 4 bedroom home in that range in north metro Atlanta. If he's working in Cobb, I'd look at west Paulding county which is just west of Cobb. Cities like Dallas or Hiram. East Paulding is booming and the home prices are escalating to match Cobb. West is still quite affordable.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:52 AM

16,647 posts, read 29,360,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kntk View Post
kntk...I recommendm starting a separate thread of your own (with the exact information) instead of posting in this school thread. You will get a lot more responses this way. Good Luck.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 4,355 times
Default Cherokee Schools

Cherokee schools have a great reputation, (Small town vibe) but the only people who consider Cherokee county metro are people who are special enough to make that commute from Cherokee to the city of Atlanta every day. (Same holds true for a number of counties that are outside the metro area) The area is predominantly white with various economic classes. It's not diverse, but you may not care about that. If you want to get a feel for a school, the best thing to do is visit the county website that the school belongs to and then visit the school website. You may also want to visit the school during a football game to see how much community support the school receives.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:35 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,874,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_kiss View Post
You may also want to visit the school during a football game to see how much community support the school receives.
As a foreigner from an academic family, I think the purpose of schools and colleges is (or ought to be) academic, and that athletics is a very minor secondary feature of any educational institution. Evidently there are a lot of Americans, perhaps particularly southerners, who see things differently. I've never attended a football game in my life, and I'd probably regard strong community interest in the school's football team as a negative, if anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta