Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 01:53 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,245 times

Advertisements

I had no idea that that the crime rate was so high in the Lindbergh area.

Lindbergh beat had most violent crime in 2012

"Reports of violent crimes in one of Buckhead’s crime hot spots were up in 2012, but Atlanta police say the higher numbers are the result of more crimes being reported by Hispanic residents.

The police beat surrounding the Lindbergh/Morosgo area generated more reports of violent crime in 2012 than any other beat in Buckhead..."

Lindbergh beat had most violent crime in 2012 - Reporter Newspapers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 04:55 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,024 times
Is this the area near Sidney Marcus? I looked on the map included in the article but could not quite tell. So, does this mean that there has been more violent crime in this area but that it is now being reported?

Old 04-09-2013, 05:51 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,724,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Is this the area near Sidney Marcus? I looked on the map included in the article but could not quite tell. So, does this mean that there has been more violent crime in this area but that it is now being reported?
It looks to me like it includes the area around Sidney Marcus over to LindBergh Station, then up Buford Highway to the North Druid Hills Rd area. Hard to tell exactly though. The article doesn't surprise me because it includes that lower half of Buford Highway. Late nights its loaded with prostitutes, drug deals, etc. I used to drive through a lot and saw them going down on the sidewalks late nights.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:19 PM

Wow. Is the lower half of Buford highway where you saw that activity the portion just below the Lenox mall area near 85? Care to give any cross streets? I am trying to gain an understanding of what goes on in certain areas around town and the Buckhead area as we are considering that area.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
It looks to me like it includes the area around Sidney Marcus over to LindBergh Station, then up Buford Highway to the North Druid Hills Rd area. Hard to tell exactly though. The article doesn't surprise me because it includes that lower half of Buford Highway. Late nights its loaded with prostitutes, drug deals, etc. I used to drive through a lot and saw them going down on the sidewalks late nights.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Wow. Is the lower half of Buford highway where you saw that activity the portion just below the Lenox mall area near 85? Care to give any cross streets? I am trying to gain an understanding of what goes on in certain areas around town and the Buckhead area as we are considering that area.
Thanks
No, the area I saw it going on is the DeKalb County side, not the Atlanta City (Buckhead-ish...I don't really consider the Lindbergh area Buckhead) side. Basically, the intersection of North Druid Hills Rd and Buford north towards Clairmont Rd. I was in that area all the time and never would have considered it dangerous. There are a few good restaurants and stuff over there. If you know where the Pink Pony is, that small stretch of Buford. But at night, it was definitely more obviously an underground area with prostitutes and drug deals on the sidewalks. For some reason though, it's not threatening in any way like some people feel about parts of downtown. I lived in a complex on the access road (one block in from that section of Buford) and never had any problems. I actually really liked living over there, but walkability was awful, which drew me away from that side of the city in general. I would compare that area to Boulevard between Ponce and Freedom Parkway if you are familiar with that. Boulevard itself is gritty, but move a block or two in any direction and it's really nice, and you probably wouldn't think twice about living on those blocks, even though Boulevard is crime ridden.
If you like Buckhead, I would not worry about buying a house anywhere in "true" Buckhead. The areas I am speaking of are close to the Atlanta City limits, but are actually unincorporated DeKalb County.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:28 PM

This information is very valuable. Thank you. Actually, uh, yes, I would think twice about moving a block or two from Boulevard. LOL. But that's just me. Thanks again for the information. I'm going to look into that area and familiarize myself as I cannot currently envision that part of town. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
No, the area I saw it going on is the DeKalb County side, not the Atlanta City (Buckhead-ish...I don't really consider the Lindbergh area Buckhead) side. Basically, the intersection of North Druid Hills Rd and Buford north towards Clairmont Rd. I was in that area all the time and never would have considered it dangerous. There are a few good restaurants and stuff over there. If you know where the Pink Pony is, that small stretch of Buford. But at night, it was definitely more obviously an underground area with prostitutes and drug deals on the sidewalks. For some reason though, it's not threatening in any way like some people feel about parts of downtown. I lived in a complex on the access road (one block in from that section of Buford) and never had any problems. I actually really liked living over there, but walkability was awful, which drew me away from that side of the city in general. I would compare that area to Boulevard between Ponce and Freedom Parkway if you are familiar with that. Boulevard itself is gritty, but move a block or two in any direction and it's really nice, and you probably wouldn't think twice about living on those blocks, even though Boulevard is crime ridden.
If you like Buckhead, I would not worry about buying a house anywhere in "true" Buckhead. The areas I am speaking of are close to the Atlanta City limits, but are actually unincorporated DeKalb County.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
This information is very valuable. Thank you. Actually, uh, yes, I would think twice about moving a block or two from Boulevard. LOL. But that's just me. Thanks again for the information. I'm going to look into that area and familiarize myself as I cannot currently envision that part of town. Thanks again.
Haha To each his own! Yeah, after I typed that, I realized that Boulevard is definitely a turn off to most people, so even though a couple blocks in from it really isn't bad (think all the new apartment buildings going up on Glen Iris), the proximity is probably a turn off.

If I knew how to do that highlight thing on google maps, I would do that for you and post it here, but I have no idea how people do that. But hopefully the cross streets help! Personally, I wouldn't buy a house anywhere near that stretch of Buford (about from North Druid Hills on north, though just south of there isn't desirable to be either). I just don't think it's good investment wise - too many strip malls, horrible pedestrian safety, not near a MARTA train, etc. etc. That said, I have a friend who bought a condo on Lenox road about a half mile off the far southern end of Buford Hwy, and that is a completely different feel. Although the walkability over there still bugs me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta