Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 04:04 PM

13 posts, read 46,498 times

Advertisements

Our family just went through the dreaded "private school" admission process and I wanted to share our experience.

We attend the Suzuki School in Buckhead and our son has been there for 2 years. We have loved every minute of it and the teachers and staff have been wonderful. Compared with some of the other pre-schools in Buckhead it is very diverse. You have teachers and students from different ethnic/racial/religious backgrounds.

Suzuki did a great job of presenting the private school process. Although there were some parents who really seemed to get a little nuts on the process we stayed away from them (as much as we could) and just made the best of it. Yes, we saw ALOT of the "Buckhead Bettys" and some of the people at these schools were ridiculous. We are a working middle class family.

It is really true that you have to go and visit each school before forming and opinion. The school that our son is attending next year (Westminster) was not even on our list initially because of the random stories we heard. We are not from Atlanta originally so we had no clue. The school that we thought would be our favorite (Pace) turned out to be last on our list due to the overall attitude of entitlement that we got during the admission process and from our personal observations.

We used Dr. Noble for the JATP and she was not only nice but very down to earth. Our son came out of her office laughing and smiling. He scored very superior on the JATP and her insights after the testing were great.

If any parents are planning to go through this process next year and want to get their child ready I would STRONGLY recommend Learning Ladder Services, Inc. (Ladder Learning Services). Our son is currently taking lessons twice a week in Orton-Gillinham reading, handwriting and math. We didn't find them until AFTER this process but now I wish I had. They prepare a lot of kids for this process!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 05:18 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,856,309 times
Isn't prep or "coaching" for the JATP looked upon poorly by the schools? Why would a parent want an artificially high score that reflects coaching more than ability? Assuming their child is not identified as having been coached, why would parents want their child to attend a school where they may not actually be equipped to succeed? Just playing Devil's Advocate.

Last edited by CMMom; 04-17-2013 at 06:29 PM..

Old 04-17-2013, 05:38 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,144,225 times
I thought that he gave very good advice and I appreciate it. We are going the foreign lang immersion route for K-5 so we are not going to need to take the JATP but we may enroll our child in the Ladders program nonetheless because he loves to learn and is very sharp. It can only help.

CMMom,
Sometimes test taking is not all about intelligence, it's about preparation specifically geared towards what will be tested. I have taken several of the hardest bar exams in the country and I have never failed. Not because of native intelligence (although it helps) but because I have had excellent test preparation that directed me on what to study, how to present information, etc. Numerous people that may or may not be more intelligent have failed (I know personally).

Thanks OP. Many people would not want to tell others of a program that will help prepare children due to a competitive spirit. Kudos to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
Isn't prep or "coaching" for the JATP looked upon poorly by the schools? Why would a parent want an artificially high school that reflects coaching more than ability? Assuming their child is not identified as having been coached, why would parents want their child to attend a school where they may not actually be equipped to succeed? Just playing Devil's Advocate.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:24 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,856,309 times
I'm just saying that evidence of coaching will count against the family in the admissions process. Use at your own risk.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:45 PM

Actually I was not referring to prepping for the actual exam questions for the JATP (not even sure how you do that) but for the process as a whole in regards to the observation, basic things they ask the kids to do (it was interesting how similar each school's process seemed to be). The owner of Learning Ladder Services worked at one of the Buckhead pre-schools and knows the process. We were pretty clueless to be honest. The only "tip" we had was to make sure our son knew his address and phone number. I personally think that the more you stress out about this stuff the worse you make it on your child. Our son is really easy going so he just went in and did his best. I saw some poor kids in there that seemed to be on edge during the observations.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:16 PM

6 posts, read 26,066 times
The private school admissions process can be overwhelming. LeeLee2008, you are absolutely correct-- it is essential for parents to personally visit and tour possible schools. It is all about fit- for your child and your family- and you won't really know until you're physically there and able to see other students in action.

I also second the positive review of Ladder Learning Services. I worked with Dite years ago and was very impressed with her focus on how to engage each individual child to ensure a positive (and successful) learning experience.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:23 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,992,844 times
Wow, LeeLee2008, I am sorry to hear that you felt that way about Pace during your visit. As a Pace parent, I have experienced a very warm, welcoming, unassuming group of parents, students and administrators in action. My child has had some struggles this year, and I have been blown away at how understanding everyone at the school has been. I've gotten to be close with the other Pace parents as well, as there are many opportunities to volunteer. This is just a caveat to other prospective families that one person's perception may not be yours. Go and visit for yourself and talk to current parents.

That being said, I concur with you that Orton-Gillingham tutoring is not teaching to the test.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,839 times
Come on! This thread was clearly posted by Learning Ladder themselves! "LeeLee" - "LearningLadder" notice a pattern? And all posts within 24 hours? I guess we should all start writing our own Fan Fiction. Lame.

Last edited by AtlMom24; 09-15-2014 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-15-2014, 06:15 PM

LOL! Actually I am an attorney and no I don't work for Learning Ladder. I used their services which were amazing. I didn't realize we were not allowed to voice a positive comment about a company on this board. I'm not sure what prompted such a rant a year later but whatever. Your childish post is the only "lame" one here. I am guessing you work for a competitor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: