Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 04:18 PM

6 posts, read 7,107 times

Advertisements

Since I didn't get much help in the previous thread. Can someone give me insight on these areas? Most importantly how are the schools in the areas as well?

Symrna
Austell
Dallas
Convington
Conyers
Kennesaw

Can you also recommend some good areas for a family of three! Aged 25 black latina with two children ages 8 and 2 w/ good schools. Rent between $600-$850 for a 3 bedroom home/apt (prefer a home)

(I prefer an area that isn't predominately African-American, but has diversity).

Should be based at Emory Hospital (Peachtree/Midtown vicinity) or at Howell Mill Rd NW zip 30327 of Atlanta, GA.

Also which areas would leave me with a good commute to work and to the area of Powder Springs?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 04:43 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,123 times
If you are working at Emory, none of those places are close to your job and will take you over an hour to get to work. I'd veture to say an hour and a half with traffic. If you want diversity and fun things to do, live near emory, thought it may be hard to find rents in that range in that area. The Emory area also has much better schools that the areas you are interested in.
***Correction

If you will be in Midtown the commute will still be a long one but not an hour and a half. Still I would look for apts in the Howell Mill area. There are plenty there bt you aren't going to be able to rent a three bedroom house or apt for that price. Just know that i f you insist on living in the areas you listed, the schools aren't that great (can't speak for Kennesw though) and you will have long commutes. No part of Powder Springs is close to the Midtown or Howell Mill areas.

Atlanta isn't as cheap as people claim unless you are willing to live in a bad area with your children.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 04-17-2013 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: correction..

Old 04-17-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
If you are working at Emory, none of those places are close to your job and will take you over an hour to get to work. I'd veture to say an hour and a half with traffic. If you want diversity and fun things to do, live near emory, thought it may be hard to find rents in that range in that area. The Emory area also has much better schools that the areas you are interested in.
That drive wouldn't be a bother for me. I just need insight on those areas below or recommendations on other good areas.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:51 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,114 times
Quote:
I believe the OP is referring to the Emory Hosptil Midtown which is just off of North Avenue on Peachtree Street.

Smyrna would be the most convenient location - it is 12+ miles from Emory (depending on where in Smyrna you live. It is right next door to Powder Springs

Smyrna is 57% White and less than 30% Black - if predominate AA is what you are looking for, you should check Cascade Heights. It would be a little farther to Emory Midtown and about 10 miles farther to Powder Springs

Old 04-17-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
I believe the OP is referring to the Emory Hosptil Midtown which is just off of North Avenue on Peachtree Street.

Smyrna would be the most convenient location - it is 12+ miles from Emory (depending on where in Smyrna you live. It is right next door to Powder Springs

Smyrna is 57% White and less than 30% Black - if predominate AA is what you are looking for, you should check Cascade Heights. It would be a little farther to Emory Midtown and about 10 miles farther to Powder Springs
I was going to suggest Smyrna but she seems to really want to be in Powder Springs.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post

Predominate AA is what I am NOT looking for .

Lol, Thanks for the insight!

Old 04-17-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I was going to suggest Smyrna but she seems to really want to be in Powder Springs.
I don't want to be in Powder Springs but at least less than an hour drive from it.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIrateJew View Post
I don't want to be in Powder Springs but at least less than an hour drive from it.
Start looking in Smyrna.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Start looking in Smyrna.
Thank you.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:45 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,145,453 times
Smyrna is a large area, and one that I have seen numerous threads about noting that there good areas and not good areas. Where should she look in Smyrna that is safe with good schools and in her price range? Do you guys know? I don't have any idea but didn't want her to go for an area that doesn't have the best schools or may not be safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta