Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 12:02 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,970,554 times

Advertisements

Bah! Forget the haters, Brookhaven would probably be a great community for them. Not only does it provide pretty easy access to the city while being a few steps away from the hustle and bustle, it also provides easy access to Northside and St. Josephs, and I know retired people like to be close to medical care.

Brookhaven is hot, hot, hot for good reason. The only issue that would concern me is as has been stated, I really don't think they are going to be able to do it for their price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 12:32 AM

31,993 posts, read 36,529,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Still, worth checking into...the stretch of Peachtree that runs from Peachtree-Dunwoody to N Druid Hills Rd pretty much caters to seniors. Lenbrook, Renaissance, Canterbury, et al. My DH and I refer to it as our 'next stop'.
Oh, yeah, I'm totally with you. We've got several friends up there and have commented that it's sort of like retiring to the Ritz Carlton. Darn good living if you can swing it.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:17 AM

2,302 posts, read 2,964,173 times
I think they could find something in/near Brookhaven toward Chamblee. Are they intimidated by driving on Peachtree? It is a very busy area and that is the only complaint I've heard from seniors in the Lenox area. Smyrna would be quieter. They would not be as close to healthcare (although Piedmont Hospital wouldn't be a terrible drive), but Smyrna might fit the bill in price, and it has the nice, manageable shops around the new town square.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:38 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,961,664 times
There are a couple of senior communities on Ashford-Dunwoody and Johnson Ferry they might want to check into. I know they are cheaper than the ones on Peachtree Rd. As has been stated, it's going to be hard to find a house for them in that price range that doesn't need a lot of renovation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Still, worth checking into...the stretch of Peachtree that runs from Peachtree-Dunwoody to N Druid Hills Rd pretty much caters to seniors. Lenbrook, Renaissance, Canterbury, et al. My DH and I refer to it as our 'next stop'.
Well I just moved in next door to Renaissance, so we are soon to be neighbors!

Old 04-19-2013, 05:59 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,606,700 times
I would think they would want something a little quieter than Brookhaven -- somewhere without the traffic and busyness. Again, in my opinion, where their children live matters the very most.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:03 PM

454 posts, read 817,577 times
I would recomend Brookhaven as well. There are some nice townhomes close to Medical Station Marta and the Hospitals on that ranage. Also as mentioned the Dresden Road area where it hits PT.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:17 AM

68 posts, read 121,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Mansions, highrises, and dirty old apartments. There are a lot of nice rowhouses, though. But, as others have said, it's probably not the kind of place they would be their cup of tea. Decatur is a good choice, as well as Downtown East Point...but a lot of people will scare you about the latter (even though it's a bunch of nonsense). So, Decatur.
They went online and looked at some homes in Decatur that was in their price range. The homes were older and didn't seem like much for the price. What are your thoughts on Roswell? The homes were much more appropriate there, however I am unclear of what the community is like, as my stomping ground has always been midtown, downtown, and buckhead.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Could you define bedroom community?

Also a bit more about where you and your sister live (what part of town)?
Bedroom community is close enough to work/play in the city, however the actual community is right outside and has its own stores, restaurants, and everything that you need to where you don't HAVE to leave for the city if you don't want to.

My sister currently lives with her husband near the west end. I will be relocating back from DC next month and am looking into Old 4th ward, grant park, and mid town area. She and I both love being directly in the city.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
I would think they would want something a little quieter than Brookhaven -- somewhere without the traffic and busyness. Again, in my opinion, where their children live matters the very most.
Thanks! We will be living intown. Myself either in O4W, Grant Park, or midtown and my sister lives near the west end. Suggestions outside of Brookhaven?

Old 04-21-2013, 11:26 AM

454 posts, read 817,577 times
If not Brookhaven I would say Dunwoody given their price point. To me Roswell (although it has a nice downtown) is too detached from the city and not on the Marta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta