Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 09:06 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,145,028 times

Advertisements

I see that the question that I should have asked was - would you think that a child that simply said "yes/no" did not have good manners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 09:11 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Sir/Ma'am is not just a Southern thing. My grandchildren are growing up in London and they have been raised to address adults in this manner.

Last edited by Iconographer; 04-23-2013 at 09:48 AM..

Old 04-23-2013, 10:34 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
I see that the question that I should have asked was - would you think that a child that simply said "yes/no" did not have good manners.
Our kids were born in NJ, and moved here when still young, but we've never pushed the whole "sir/ma'am" thing on them. As long as kids are polite in general, calling me "sir" isn't required. A simple "yes, please" or "no, thank you" is adequate.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:27 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,031,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Sir/Ma'am is not just a Southern thing. My grandchildren are growing up in London and they have been raised to address adults in this manner.
Very true...I was raised in the South and my parents did not insist on ma'am and sir unless a specific situation called for it, but they did insist on polite manners and respect. It's not really a southern thing to my knowledge, but just an option that some parents choose to employ.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:54 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrob View Post
Politeness in kids will take them a looooong way in life. It's also a great reflection of their parents. So yes-no/ sir/ma'am, is completely acceptable no matter where you live.
Where I'm originally from, sir and ma'am are used only to very elderly people. If a middle-aged or younger person is addressed that way, they are very likely to take offense and ask, "Do I look THAT old?!"

My sister-in-law, who is 50, even posted on Facebook recently that a clerk in a store had called her ma'am that day, so she figured it must be time to get her gray roots touched up! It's definitely only for old people in some places!

Old 04-23-2013, 08:24 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
If you are talking to somebody important -- say a police officer, a judge, your boss or your teacher -- wouldn't you probably use sir and ma'am?

Or if you are trying persuade someone to do something -- cash your out of town check, let you get a seat on the last flight out, allow you to sign up for a class after the deadline -- aren't you likely to use sir and ma'am?

If it's important in those situations, why not for other folks you encounter in everyday life?

Old 04-23-2013, 09:22 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If you are talking to somebody important -- say a police officer, a judge, your boss or your teacher -- wouldn't you probably use sir and ma'am?
I honestly don't. I address them as officer, judge, and Mr or Mrs. The only time I can conceivably see myself using sir or ma'am, is if I was trying to get the attention of a complete stranger as in "Sir, I think you dropped your phone".

But, as I said, we moved here with young teens, and they quickly picked up the terms. I'm not sure whether to attribute it to teachers, coaches or peers, but it has stuck, even now that they are in college. It certainly isn't a bad thing, in my opinion.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:24 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,132,310 times
How I address each of the people you mentioned:

Officer: Yes, Officer
Judge: Yes, your honor
boss: Yes Mr/Mrs.Name
teacher: Yes, Mr/Mrs.Name

The only time you MUST use sir or ma'am is probably the military.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:44 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,236 times
Growing up, my parents were nearly tyrannical about manners. While they didn't ask that I say sir or ma'am to them, I was required to say 'yes, please' and 'no, thank you.' Also, one of my favorite memories is often asking permission to do something and my daddy replying back, "Yes, you can. But no, you may not." It was very annoying growing up, however, now in my late 20s when I hear people speak without proper language or respect it makes me wonder what kind of environment they are from. I think in the long run it is important to teach your children these simple rules. It becomes of great use later.

This should also include proper table etiquette!

Old 04-24-2013, 06:02 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
Growing up, my parents were nearly tyrannical about manners. While they didn't ask that I say sir or ma'am to them, I was required to say 'yes, please' and 'no, thank you.' Also, one of my favorite memories is often asking permission to do something and my daddy replying back, "Yes, you can. But no, you may not." It was very annoying growing up, however, now in my late 20s when I hear people speak without proper language or respect it makes me wonder what kind of environment they are from. I think in the long run it is important to teach your children these simple rules. It becomes of great use later.

This should also include proper table etiquette!
Sounds like my household. My mother was a tyrant at the dinner table. Her biggest bugaboo was not sitting straight-backed in your chair. I remember that she had misgivings about my sister's engagement because she did not approve of her fiance's table manners. She felt it would have negative consequences to their social life and his career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta