Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 06:58 PM

15 posts, read 46,604 times

Advertisements

I am debating between 2 homes, one in Lithonia (Dekalb county - 30038) off of Brown's Mill road (beacon mountain), very close to Conyers and another in Camp creek off of enon road (regency oaks). Which location is better? I know camp creek is near the airport and not too far from the city of atlanta. But what about lithonia? The lithonia home is almost 3 times the size of the home in camp creek while the home in camp creek is in a nice subdivision.

no plans on having children for AT LEAST 3-5 years.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 09:51 PM

630 posts, read 1,265,220 times
Where are you working? Is one area closer to your job than the other? That's an important factor. For me, looking only at both areas, I am partial to camp creek. I really like it and see it as an up and coming area. There are a lot of nice developments and decent shopping, and the area is very hilly and rugged which creates a really beautiful landscape. Schools in both areas aren't the best, but I've heard more positive things about the public schools in south Fulton.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:54 AM

Thank you for the feedback...i am Not working in state right now, am relocating and buying first. I anticipate to work within Midtown/downtown Atlanta so i believe camp creek will be. I agree on camp creek landscape and up and coming potential. I am leaning towards camp creek but trying to rationalize giving up the home in lithonia for 3 times the size...Are there any arguments that can be made for that area of Lithonia? Any nightlife in Lithonia and about how far to midtown atlanta in rush hour?

Thank you

Old 04-24-2013, 09:55 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prendani View Post
Thank you for the feedback...i am Not working in state right now, am relocating and buying first. I anticipate to work within Midtown/downtown Atlanta so i believe camp creek will be. I agree on camp creek landscape and up and coming potential. I am leaning towards camp creek but trying to rationalize giving up the home in lithonia for 3 times the size...Are there any arguments that can be made for that area of Lithonia? Any nightlife in Lithonia and about how far to midtown atlanta in rush hour?

Thank you
It will take you about 30 minutes with no traffic and maybe 45 mins- 1hr to get to midtown with traffic.

Browns mill is a nice and quiet area and will have much less airplane noise than camp creek. Alot of things are around stonecrest, but i dont think much nightlife is around there.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:10 AM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Yea, the east side of Atlanta is dead, and Stonecrest isn't the best of areas. The area of your house however is probably fairly decent, it's a good ways away from I-20 and the congested areas. You're not too far from Conyers which I would rate as a better shopping area than Stonecrest, albeit lacking Sears, JCPenny, and Dillards and other stuff you find around malls.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the input everyone...

Which area do you think will have better resale value in the future? Is it true that camp creek is closer to midtown/downtown atlanta or is it about the same?

Old 04-24-2013, 02:28 PM

Taking a wild stab, I'd say the Dekalb County location would have the better value. It's closer to a corridor of development while the camp creek location appears to be way off and away from things.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:30 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,666 times
Are you planning to take mass transit? If not, please know that traffic on 20 coming from the east side of the metro is HORRIFIC in the morning and HORRIFIC going back there in the afternoon. It is major. I'm talking about I-20. I mean cars back up and sitting for miles. This could be your daily situation if you plan to drive or if the home is not located near mass transit. I am not familiar with Lithonia so I do not know the answer to that ... but I have seen the traffic on 20 in the morning and in the afternoon and it is very, very bad. Going to the Camp Creek area and to all areas in the west part of the metro is much, much better trafficwise.

I would caution you to buy in the Stonewall Tell elementary school area if you are set on Camp Creek area. That is the only decent elementary school in that area. Because it is hard to sell homes in Atlanta, it will be difficult probably at resale. Especially since that area appears to be saturated with new homes ... lots of competition. I would plan to get into the best possible school cluster Stonewall Tell/Sandtown Middle/Westlake, just in case I could not sell before I had kids. Do a search on this board - the schools in many areas of Atlanta are good...and this is just one of the many areas. FYI that the schools in south Dekalb are even worse, I think. Dekalb County is a mess and just cut a ton of funding. I keep hearing something like 25 kidnergarteners in a class, to give you an idea.

I would wonder why the house is three times the size of the other but less expensive....

Old 04-24-2013, 05:50 PM

@lovelysummer this is something i was afraid of. On my way to view this property on a friday around 6 i wanted to kill myself sitting in the traffic on 285 to lithonia. Im not sure if their is a station i can drive to for marta but def nothing in immediate area of home. The home in camp creek is in the school district you mentioned so thats good. Also home in lithonia which is bigger is 40k more for almost 3,000 sqft more finished space. I am guessing overall consesus would be camp creek....

Old 04-24-2013, 06:36 PM

Well, we do have an Xpress bus system. You could drive to the Panola Park and Ride and take the bus from there, but there is limited peak-hour, peak-direction service with nothing during midday and on the weekends. The closest MARTA station is Indian Creek a good ways up I-285 so you'd still be stuck in the I-20 mess, but at least you wouldn't have to contend with parking in Atlanta, or surface-street traffic.
Xpress system information here: Xpress...commuting made easy. Operated by the GA Regional Transportation Authority
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta