Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 09:01 AM

3,707 posts, read 5,982,315 times

Advertisements

INRIX National Traffic Scorecard

Despite the terrible reputation Atlanta has for traffic, only two corridors made it onto INRIX's list of the 163 most congested corridors. The corridors are Georgia 400 from Old Milton Road to Holcomb Bridge Road (ranked 89th most congested), and I-85 from Chamblee Tucker to Jimmy Carter Blvd (ranked 158th most congested).

What gives? I feel like traffic actually is pretty bad here, and I barely even drive. I live overlooking the Connector and it is regularly backed up in either direction. Maybe other places are worse? Maybe the methodology favors us somehow?

Some cities that have a larger number of top-congested corridors than we do:

Austin (4)
Minneapolis (3)
Dallas (9)
Houston (9)
Pittsburgh (3)
Seattle (8)

New York has 21, and Los Angeles has 35 on the extreme end of the spectrum. I often hear Atlanta tossed around as having traffic as bad as LA, but according to this study it is night and day.

By way of comparison, Nashville, Charlotte, Orlando, and Tampa each have 1 on the list. Denver, New Orleans, and Phoenix each have 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 09:11 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
What gives? I feel like traffic actually is pretty bad here, and I barely even drive. I live overlooking the Connector and it is regularly backed up in either direction. Maybe other places are worse? Maybe the methodology favors us somehow?

Some cities that have a larger number of top-congested corridors than we do:

Austin (4)
Minneapolis (3)
Dallas (9)
Houston (9)
Pittsburgh (3)
Seattle (8)

New York has 21, and Los Angeles has 35 on the extreme end of the spectrum. I often hear Atlanta tossed around as having traffic as bad as LA, but according to this study it is night and day.

By way of comparison, Nashville, Charlotte, Orlando, and Tampa each have 1 on the list. Denver, New Orleans, and Phoenix each have 2.
I lived for at least one year in New Orleans, Houston, Austin, LA, and Minneapolis before moving to Atlanta. New Orleans was in the 80s, and it's a different city now. I'll leave it out. But I felt that overall Houston, Austin, and LA were all worse, and Minneapolis was about the same.

I've said since joining this board that Atlanta traffic is overhyped. Of course, that doesn't mean that the city needs no improvement in its transportation infrastructure.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:13 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
I have said for years that the claim that Atlanta traffic is the worst is a myth. With a few exceptions traffic here zips along pretty well compared to other big cities.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:17 AM

616 posts, read 1,112,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I have said for years that the claim that Atlanta traffic is the worst is a myth. With a few exceptions traffic here zips along pretty well compared to other big cities.
I agree. It is no worse here than where I've lived before.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:53 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
People generally say our traffic is bad because of the number of lanes we have. We can have 7 lanes of traffic backed up on 75/85 going at 25mph but people will say that it is worse than 3 lanes of traffic going at 15mph

Old 04-25-2013, 09:58 AM

64 posts, read 133,914 times
I recently moved from the ATL area to the LA area. Holy Cow! I had no idea how good we had it in ATL. If I ever move back to GA, I will never complain about the traffic.

I would say though that Atlanta is worse at clearing wrecks and broken down cars. On CA freeways, wrecks are cleared immediately and vehicles on the shoulder are tended to immediately. CHP will actually use their push bumpers to push wrecked cars to the shoulder.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:27 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
I wonder, if less people working in this economy has something to do with us dropping in all the traffic categories lately.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:31 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I wonder, if less people working in this economy has something to do with us dropping in all the traffic categories lately.
Doubtful. It's not as if there are that many people out of the work force to affect traffic that much. Also, in some cases we have more people in the work force than there are people living in cities with worse traffic scores than us or we have a similar amount of the workforce out of work.

Really, the biggest problem with Atlanta are the bottle necks. The biggest of them all being where 400 and 285 and the Connector. They do cause a cascading effect for traffic in several directions, but after the initial rush is over it's smooth sailing.

Really, the key to Atlanta's traffic being better than those cities is that most of the major highways have a huge capacity. Which, as was mentioned, might lead people to think that traffic is worse than it really is due to a lack of information.

If one is driving through Atlanta, chances are you have to go through the Connector or 285. If one happens to do it during the afternoon, one may look around at the lanes jam packed with 10s of thousands of cars and assume that every where in Atlanta looks like that.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:55 AM

3,707 posts, read 5,982,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
For this to be true we'd have to be doing worse relative to everyone else. Right now that isn't really the case.

The US economy is ~2.7 million jobs below its March peak level (2008), or right around 2%. Atlanta is 50,000 jobs off of its March peak level, also around 2%. We actually got hit harder than the rest of the country during the recession, but are now recovering faster than average, and we are right around the point that we have caught up with the national recovery at the moment. So I don't think it really explains our improvement in traffic ratings.

Maybe 2 years ago, yes, this would be a plausible explanation. But not the 2012 data.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:03 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,027 times
Worse traffic means a better economy | www.clarkhoward.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta