Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 08:40 AM

402 posts, read 703,638 times

Advertisements

According to the study on fragmented government:

Quote:
Mellander's analysis finds fragmented government to be negatively associated with the affluence of states. The number of local governments per capita is negatively correlated with three key measures of state economic performance — average incomes (-.51), average wages (-.61) and high tech industry (-.30).
I bet you can extrapolate these results to metro areas as well. Thus, the creation of John's Creek, Sandy Springs, etc. may have a negative economic impact on the entire metro region.

Does Having Lots of Local Governments Help or Hurt Economic Development? - Richard Florida - The Atlantic Cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 07:19 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,299 times
Well, the Twin Cities has over 300 individual cities in the metro, but is a wealthy area. Likely an outlier.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:41 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,775,164 times
I think this is just flawed science, where they (or you) see a correlation but interpret it improperly. Old industrial cities, which are usually struggling rust belt communities, tended to be very small.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:17 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,854,475 times
I don't get how an area looking to have more local control instead of letting the larger county run all municipal services changes anyone's income level. This might cause someone who has a cushy crony county job to suffer, but who else would be affected?

And looking at the map, Georgia is at the bottom of the heap in terms of local governments. How can the OP come to the conclusion that Sandy Springs and Johns Creek are affecting the economy in any shape or fashion when Georgia is still so low on the totem pole?

Last edited by Saintmarks; 05-14-2013 at 05:47 PM..

Old 05-15-2013, 08:47 AM

348 posts, read 434,293 times
I definitely wish every area or section of a county would stop trying to be it's own city. People wonder why nothing gets done to connect the region. It's because every section of the region wants it's own plan and wants to do things there were. Once they become a city they can but it doesn nothing but create regional issues. Most people don't just work, play, and live all in one area, unless you are talking about Atlanta, which is the only true city. People are going to want to govern their own streets separately from the next street over the way this is going!

Old 05-15-2013, 09:10 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfarley30 View Post
I definitely wish every area or section of a county would stop trying to be it's own city. People wonder why nothing gets done to connect the region. It's because every section of the region wants it's own plan and wants to do things there were. Once they become a city they can but it doesn nothing but create regional issues. Most people don't just work, play, and live all in one area, unless you are talking about Atlanta, which is the only true city. People are going to want to govern their own streets separately from the next street over the way this is going!
There could be individual cities, but ARC needs to have more power given to it by the state to make decision for the whole region.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:22 AM

348 posts, read 434,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
There could be individual cities, but ARC needs to have more power given to it by the state to make decision for the whole region.
To me that's part of the issue. If you have a bunch of lobbyist from different cities telling the state what they want, how are you ever going to get on the same accord? Johns Creek wants this and Sandy Springs wants that while Brookhaven wants the third.

And we all know with the current leadership the state is just going to "give" the ARC the power to do what's needed to improve the entire region. Would I like it to happen, YES !! Will it happen, no .

Old 05-15-2013, 09:34 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Quote:
Oh, I don't know about that.

It seems to me that you have to break it down as to what kind of governance issues you are talking about.

For instance, things like regional transportation and water obviously call for broader planning and management.

On the other hand, I don't see any reason at all why matters such as parks, zoning and land use, procurement, and policing shouldn't be under local control.

Huge bureaucracies -- especially those that aren't subject to the accountability of the marketplace -- tend to become bloated, inefficient and non-responsive.

Smaller cities demand higher scrutiny. Can you imagine, for example, something like APS existing in the city of Decatur? They'd never permit a widespread teacher-led cheating scandal. They wouldn't create a ridiculous structure that spends several times as much money as comparable systems on "central office personnel" and outside vendors. Nor would they tolerate schools that graduate under 40% of students.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:59 AM

402 posts, read 703,638 times
It would be nice if Atlanta did something like Tokyo did in 1943. Basically combining the city and county government into one, while retaining some characteristics of the other smaller municipalities that existed around Tokyo. This removes a layer of government and retains the local control many are concerned with. Combine Dekalb, Fulton and a few of the suburban counties to form one big area, so we are all working towards one goal and not bickering about who gets what.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:27 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,775,164 times
Quote:
I definitely wish every area or section of a county would stop trying to be it's own city. People wonder why nothing gets done to connect the region.
I grew up in a state, CT, that had no county governments. Yet, they have commuter rail on the coastline and are adding commuter rail through Hartford to Springfield, MA. The problem of nothing gets done is fixed by a DOT that is qualified, adequately funded, understands that adding lanes only works to reduce traffic in rural areas, and actually gets things done. CT had the opposite, like GA, for the longest time. Then they changed up the leadership, and things changed.

It's too bad we didn't get TSplost passed to get some teeth behind ARC, but the project list also was not great so I am not surprised. Now people are wasting their money on a stadium instead of finishing the beltline and rail to Cobb County. (the beltline is getting done, but the rail component is on hold)

By the way, the whole "small government being less wealthy" thing is lost on CT because it is one of the wealthiest states in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta