Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 01:55 PM

52 posts, read 290,366 times

Advertisements

What/where are the affluent Black or Racially DIVERSE suburbs around Atlanta? 70-80% white doesn't work for me.

Edit-More Information.
I'm looking for somewhere to relocate where I can enjoy a suburban home living while having a nice night life. I think Atlanta is that place. My husband and I are young successful black citizens with two young daughters. It is really important to me that my children grow up in a diverse area where they can be themselves. I have seen first hand (not me) where black children grew up in predominantly white neighborhoods and have encompassed themselves in hatred for themselves and other black people.

I've been searching city data. I prefer a neighborhood with homes that are no older than 20yrs, racially diverse with the median income around 70k. School districts are somewhat important, we are willing to pay for private schools.

Last edited by KenyasWorld; 05-13-2013 at 02:57 PM..

Old 05-13-2013, 02:09 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,242,785 times
Parts of Lithonia, specifically off Evans Mill going south of I-20. I know some one that lives off of Rockland. Camp Creek is not that bad either. Maybe even parts of Conyers and South Fulton??

Old 05-13-2013, 02:09 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenyasWorld View Post
What/where are the affluent Black or Racially DIVERSE suburbs around Atlanta? 70-80% white doesn't work for me.
Sandtown
South DeKalb County
Gwinnett County

Old 05-13-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Parts of Lithonia, specifically off Evans Mill going south of I-20. I know some one that lives off of Rockland. Camp Creek is not that bad either. Maybe even parts of Conyers and South Fulton??
According to city data the majority of people in Lithonia makes under 45k/year. I'm not sure about ATL but in the SF bay that's low income.

What about 70k and higher earners?

Old 05-13-2013, 02:40 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
Do realize that you are looking up stats for Lithonia, many affluent suburban areas are going to be outside the city limits. You will find numerous instances of concentrations of wealth in rural areas. Large lots and a rural setting are quite desirable.

Just curious, why do you want to know these things?

Old 05-13-2013, 02:41 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Quote:
According to city data the majority of people in Lithonia makes under 45k/year. I'm not sure about ATL but in the SF bay that's low income.

What about 70k and higher earners?
I think they are spread out. All of S. DeKalb has nearby pockets of low income. It impacts the schools tremendously, in my opinion.

There are neighborhoods with higher income but not an entire city.

Many upper middle class blacks have chosen to live in more integrated areas like Gwinnett.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:56 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:

Areas that you might prefer:

*1. Sandtown

*2. The Langston Hughes High School District in South Fulton County

*3. North Fayette County

4. North Henry County

*5. The Shiloh High School District in Gwinnett County

*6. The Peachtree Ridge High School District in Gwinnett County

*7. The Grayson High School District in Gwinnett County

*8. The Nickajack Elementary School District in South Cobb County

9. Cascade/Outer Southwest Atlanta

*10. The Western Camp Creek Area

11. The Stephenson High School District of East DeKalb County

12. The Martin Luther King High School District of South DeKalb County

13. The Redan High School District of East/South DeKalb County

14. The Cedar Grove High School District of South DeKalb County

15. The Rainbow Area of South DeKalb County

*16. Rockdale County

17. Western Newton County

18. The Arabia Mountain/Stonecrest Area of South DeKalb County

19. The Lake Spivey Area of Clayton County

20. The Miller Grove High School District of South DeKalb County

*21. The New Manchester Area of Douglas County

*22. The Chapel Hill Area of Douglas County

I hope this helps. Good Luck.

Last edited by aries4118; 05-13-2013 at 03:07 PM..

Old 05-13-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Do realize that you are looking up stats for Lithonia, many affluent suburban areas are going to be outside the city limits. You will find numerous instances of concentrations of wealth in rural areas. Large lots and a rural setting are quite desirable.

Just curious, why do you want to know these things?
Thanks.. in my area of Cali we do not have rural areas... basically, what you see on city data is correct. I updated my OP with more information.
The elementary school my daughter will be attending in September has only 9 black students out of nearly 1000 pupils. In the bay area, the majority of suburbs or 80% white or asian. There is a huge economic divide between Black/Latino and White/Asians.
I am looking to relocate and I thought Atlanta was a great place for the professional AA community. On city data however, I'm only noticing a lot of white people in the cities where the median income is 70k plus.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:06 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Thanks.. in my area of Cali we do not have rural areas... basically, what you see on city data is correct. I updated my OP with more information.
The elementary school my daughter will be attending in September has only 9 black students out of nearly 1000 pupils. In the bay area, the majority of suburbs or 80% white or asian. There is a huge economic divide between Black/Latino and White/Asians.
I am looking to relocate and I thought Atlanta was a great place for the professional AA community. On city data however, I'm only noticing a lot of white people in the cities where the median income is 70k plus.

Look into the areas I listed above. In particular, the areas with an *.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Areas that you might prefer:

I hope this helps. Good Luck.
Thanks... I'm going to look up all of those places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta