Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2013, 04:26 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I still don't see what's to be negative about this. Again I not viewing this as some super symbol like the London Eye, I'm viewing it as a Ferris wheel being added next to a Park. In fact don't view it as a suppose symbol for Atlanta, view it as another Landmark for the Luckie Marietta area.

Luckie Marietta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Georgia aquarium
CNN Center
World of Coca-Cola
Philips Arena
For The GA Dome
College Football Hall of Fame
National center for civil and human rights
Skyview

All are surrounding the Park.

What's going to happen after people visit those places people are going to be thinking why not ride The Ferris wheel while where we here. It only adds to the experience of the neighborhood.
This is the first time I've heard that area referred to as "Luckie Marietta". I thought it was called Centennial Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 07:30 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
This is the first time I've heard that area referred to as "Luckie Marietta". I thought it was called Centennial Hill.
tbh.. thought it was the same, people refer it as just the Centennial Olympic Park area or something along that line. Technically Centennial Hill is to the north so it's confusing.

Luckie Marietta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Centennial Hill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-14-2013, 07:58 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times
Here are some photos that I took

Old 07-14-2013, 12:54 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
Here are some photos that I took

Thanks for sharing. Is it open to the public yet? I haven't seen the news in a couple of days.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:24 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
It is a relatively new name. It was started with private developers and picked up by the Downtown improvement district.

The idea is to create a relatively small neighborhood that is hemmed in by the park and GWCC and try to create a more visitor/entertainment oriented neighborhood.

Try to establish advertising, boutique hotels, restaurants that all the visitors in the area can use. Some, but limited amounts of office space and condos in upper floors, but the goal is make use of all the visitors in the area create demand for entertainment.

Centennial hill is a larger area to the north and a much longer known neighborhood. It is much more residential and office in nature.

It is dominated by two things.. the Centennial Place neigbhorhood that replaced Techwood and the Allen Plaza project

Old 07-15-2013, 06:52 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
I've never heard of Centennial Hill and I'm in the Centennial Park/Luckie Street/Fairlie-Poplar area five days a week.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:53 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornjacksonian View Post
Thanks for sharing. Is it open to the public yet? I haven't seen the news in a couple of days.
It is scheduled to open tomorrow.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:24 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
I don't see why we are dissecting a private business venture so much? This much pressure isn't put on an Appleby's opening in a suburban strip mall or a clothing store opening in a mall?
NO TAXPAYER money was used in the construction of the Ferris Wheel.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:30 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I don't see why we are dissecting a private business venture so much? This much pressure isn't put on an Appleby's opening in a suburban strip mall or a clothing store opening in a mall?
Regular complainers that complain about anything

Old 07-15-2013, 08:41 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The only two reasons I can think of that someone would gripe about this thing are that 1. they are under the mistaken impression that the ferris wheel is supposed to be some sort of crowning achievement for the city (It isn't, and nobody has ever pretended that it is anything other than an attraction for tourists) or 2. they are a generally miserable person that gripes about everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta