Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 08:30 AM

687 posts, read 745,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I don't know how they expect "1,000 to 3,000" people to ride it every day, but I hope that figure turns out to be accurate.
A 1,000 target seems very achievable, especially as its open late. 100 people an hour over 10 hours - sorted. I did the CNN tour on a random Tuesday morning a few weeks back and there was at least 20 people going around with us...these attractions pull people even on off-peak days.

I'm back in the London office this week and just went past the London Eye on the train. It still looks completely out of place in between the River Thames and all the historical buildings....BUT is an absolutely fantastic addition to the City.

I think the Atlanta wheel will be the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 11:39 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,218,082 times
I rode the London Eye back in 2002, and I'm excited to see a Ferris wheel with full-on gondolas coming to Tree City. With all of these projects, Downtown will look completely different by 2020.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:50 PM

989 posts, read 1,742,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
yea but by that standard... every city in the US in a modern economy is full of sloppy seconds.

We just have to be proud of things that are home grown (Coke, Home Depot, Chik-fil-a, Waffle House, etc..) and appreciate the other things we attract.

My feelings are mixed overall on this. I mean it will be good for the convention trade we have. It will also help pull people into the Fairlie-Poplar district, which is a gym if more people could find it and its backdoor to Centennial/convention spaces wasn't parking lots.

However, this isn't like the previous defunct proposal. This isn't as big as the London-eye. It isn't used for dinners, parties, etc...

It is a daily walk-up and a quick ride in a smaller space.

Also, in this city... I wonder how far 200 ft will go. There is a good amount of stuff over 200 ft in that area. No doubt the views will be good, but I wonder by how much.

Ferris wheels don't really blend in with any city, even London, but that doesn't mean they aren't appreciated and get a lot of fan fare. For this reason I'm not concerned how it will look in our city. I just hope they put a decent effort into the Light Design, so it looks good, creative and fun... but not tacky.
I think that was my point....

Old 05-21-2013, 07:33 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,593 times
When I saw the wheel located there for the Final Four I immediately thought they really need to have one permanently installed here.

It just makes sense to me in Centennial Park. If lit up properly it will be a nice compliment to all the decorative lights already located there including the fountain lights. And it would be one more fun attraction for all the tourist already hanging out looking for something to do in that area besides the park, CNN center, World of Coke and the Aquarium. A lot of families come there and kids would love it. Plus it would just add to the Downtown skyline and look really cool.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:35 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Not very excited for this, but if it can bring more people walking the streets, then fine by me. There's a reason that this keeps moving from city to city though.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:35 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Let's not forget it eliminates another surface parking lot, that alone is a win!

Old 05-22-2013, 05:34 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
I rode the London Eye back in 2002, and I'm excited to see a Ferris wheel with full-on gondolas coming to Tree City. With all of these projects, Downtown will look completely different by 2020.
Same here...the London Eye was great, but this is only about half the size - then again, Atlanta is about half the size of London so it should be a perfect fit.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:49 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Same here...the London Eye was great, but this is only about half the size - then again, Atlanta is about half the size of London so it should be a perfect fit.
i agree... i think having "the world's biggest ferris wheel" in atlanta would just be atlanta trying to show off again. this ferris wheel is reasonably sized and can become part of the urban culture rather than defining it.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:31 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Foundation being poured, piece delivered Monday.
Report: Ferris wheel construction starts Wednesday - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Old 06-20-2013, 07:37 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
This thing could be a game changer for downtown Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta