Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 05:59 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,136,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Both yankee and rebel have negative connotations where I live.
Except that the word rebel is a noun with an objective definition. Calling someone a "rebel" when they're engaged in rebellion is merely pointing out the obvious.

I don't know anyone up north who calls modern day southerner's "rebels" but there are plenty of southerners who continue to call folks from the north "Yankees" (many times proceeded by the adjective "damn") with the intent of it being a pejorative.

From Webster's: Rebel - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

1a : opposing or taking arms against a government or ruler

b : of or relating to rebels <the rebel camp>

2: disobedient, rebellious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 07:43 AM

100 posts, read 428,323 times
52% Dixie. Barely in Dixie

Strange, since I was born and raised in NJ. Lived there 33 years.

And one point of contention with this quiz....no true Jerseyan would EVER call a sandwich a "hero". It is a SUB everywhere in Jersey except the far SouthWest near Philly, where it is a "grinder".

Old 05-21-2013, 07:46 AM

7,469 posts, read 6,201,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
It's not a common way to refer to soft drinks anywhere. How can you ever have a Mountain Dew if you call it a Coke?

How can you have a Crescent wrench or a Stillson wrench? Both are the generic names now for a wrench that originally was the mfg. brand. I expect there are many more examples.
All soft drinks have always been coke to me. I got rudely introduced to the word "pop" in NJ during service many years ago.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:32 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,239,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
How can you have a Crescent wrench or a Stillson wrench? Both are the generic names now for a wrench that originally was the mfg. brand. I expect there are many more examples.
All soft drinks have always been coke to me. I got rudely introduced to the word "pop" in NJ during service many years ago.
Band-Aid and Dumpster are both brand names. Wrenches currently called Crescents are not unlike their predecessors are they? Same with Dumpsters and generic trash receptacles. Most people wouldn't know the difference. Anyone can tell the difference between Coke and Mountain Dew. That's what makes it silly to me.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:39 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,087,885 times
38% yankee. Not originally southern so I'm not surprised, though I picked up a very few things like 'yall'.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:40 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,987,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Except that the word rebel is a noun with an objective definition. Calling someone a "rebel" when they're engaged in rebellion is merely pointing out the obvious.

I don't know anyone up north who calls modern day southerner's "rebels" but there are plenty of southerners who continue to call folks from the north "Yankees" (many times proceeded by the adjective "damn") with the intent of it being a pejorative.

From Webster's: Rebel - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

1a : opposing or taking arms against a government or ruler

b : of or relating to rebels <the rebel camp>

2: disobedient, rebellious
Yankee is not a word that I use, but I hear it now and then. The use of "yankee" in the South is undoubtedly related to the number of transplants from the Northeast - and that's the context in which I have normally heard it used. Normally it seems to be said in a light-hearted manner.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:15 PM

31,995 posts, read 36,572,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
In the abstract "rebel" is just a noun but it is loaded with negative connotations when applied to southerners.

That's why I don't like it. I am an American through and through and have never advocated rebellion against the United State.

I also find "yankee" obnoxious when used in that context. That "damn yankees" crap also conjures up stereotypes that I totally reject.

I have lived with great pleasure in both the north and the south. We proudly have family members from all parts of the country. We're Americans. We do not use terms like yankee and rebel, and do not appreciate others applying them to us.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:28 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,224,039 times
14% Dixie here...Duke of Yankeedom. I left the last question blank because I had no idea what they were talking about. I lived the first 33 years of my life in New England, and the last seven in Texas. Btw, the term yankee represents nothing more than an demonic baseball team. LOL

Old 05-22-2013, 06:39 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,087,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
38% yankee. Not originally southern so I'm not surprised, though I picked up a very few things like 'yall'.
Just realized I made a mistake here. Meant to say 38% Dixie...for some reason I can't edit my post.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:36 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,832,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
14% Dixie here...Duke of Yankeedom. I left the last question blank because I had no idea what they were talking about. I lived the first 33 years of my life in New England, and the last seven in Texas. Btw, the term yankee represents nothing more than an demonic baseball team. LOL
people from new england (massachusetts, connecticut, maine, vermont, rhode island and new hampshire) are yankees, that's the term for them. i always found it weird that the new york yankees have that name since new yorkers aren't really 'yankees'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta