Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2007, 11:08 AM

6 posts, read 25,911 times

Advertisements

I recently relocated to Marietta (E. Cobb) from New Jersey where my total commute was about 15min. with two school drop-offs. I know that's like impossible here.

I just got a job in the Sandy Springs area (Glenlake Pkwy/Abernathy Rd.) and I totally want to avoid 75 and 285 so I'm wondering what the commute is like via Roswell Rd. and Johnson Ferry Rd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 11:38 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,373,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj_n_atl76 View Post
I recently relocated to Marietta (E. Cobb) from New Jersey where my total commute was about 15min. with two school drop-offs. I know that's like impossible here.

I just got a job in the Sandy Springs area (Glenlake Pkwy/Abernathy Rd.) and I totally want to avoid 75 and 285 so I'm wondering what the commute is like via Roswell Rd. and Johnson Ferry Rd.
Painful- very painful- that's how it would be....lol.

It actually depends on what time you'll be making the trip, but in general I'd say you'd probably be looking at 45 minutes +/- depending on where in East Cobb you start. As you can imagine, you're not the only one who wants to avoid 75 and 285, so if it was much faster to take the back roads, everyone would be doing it.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:11 PM

6 posts, read 25,911 times
I have to be in at 8:30am so I'm thinking I shouldn't leave any later than 7:30am. I would be starting at Barnes Mill Rd./Roswell Rd. near the East Lake Shopping Center.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:47 PM

582 posts, read 2,009,204 times
My boss travels Roswell Rd to Johnson Ferry and according to her the Johnson Ferry part is the worst. I get onto Johnson Ferry at Lower Roswell and I pass Abernathy within 20-25 minutes. I happen to leave at 7:15 so it's a little faster. From what I hear though I would try to research a few alternate routes just in case.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:52 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,545,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj_n_atl76 View Post

It's going to get a little more interesting when the construction along Abernathy(from JF to the 'real' Roswell Rd) begins next year. Most of the property along there has been taken by the DOT and many houses have been torn down. This is important because they have been TALKING about this road widening for 15 years but now something is actually being done. I'm at the tennis center just before Glenlake and I can get there in 6 minutes but I happen to live 3 blocks south of JF & Abernathy. Your challenge is getting across the river to Sandy Springs. Really only three ways from where you are...Powers Ferry to Interstate North to Heards Ferry into SS or Johnson Ferry(as mentioned) or some eastbound route that gets you to(the'real' )Roswell Rd north of Abernathy(then you are sitting on Roswell Rd for a long time).

If you aren't stuck in your residence, consider moving closer...even into Sandy Springs in order to save 45 minutes each way every day. Columns Drive(still Cobb County) has some reasonable condos(and UNreasonable homes)...that would cut off half of your commute. Heck, if you are going to work at your new location 'permanently', there are apts and condos right on Glenlake and Abernathy.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta