Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 02:58 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Nobody wants to live in a crime-ridden area where you're chances of being robbed or worse increases dramatically. Atlanta is still a top 10 most dangerous large city in the nation. There are multiple lists if you don't believe me.

I wonder if you'd be one of those people who'd live in The Bluff or English Avenue. It's real easy to talk, but I doubt you'd do the walk.
With all due respect with all your talk about talking and walking....

The conversation was partially talking about how people are financially being pushed away from the city.

That is a half-truth I was trying to point out.

I'm well aware of the problems in many areas of town coming from many generations of Atlantans and my family still has ownership of my great grandfathers house in a South Atlanta neighborhood.

However, people still live in these areas. They often can not afford better, but that doesn't mean they are priced out of the city all together and it doesn't mean they don't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 03:09 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
You don't need to tell me to get a clue. Just because you don't agree with someone's reasoning it doesn't mean it is wrong.

And anybody could get credit during the boom. If you were employed you would qualify for a loan. The Clinton administration encouraged less lending restrictions and the Bush administration continued the practice.
Actually sir, with all due respect, you are wrong and that isn't just an opinion.

The rise of poverty has less to do with people borrowing relatively little amounts of personal spending money on credit cards (and banks willingness to take the risk to let them have it). It has much more to do with people's overall ability to keep a job in the overall economic situation. People borrowed more money, because wages were suppressed before the recession (a leading indicator of a recession), however that is not the cause.

You can try to but the blame on them personally all you want, but it often isn't the individual's fault the economy fails to keep a certain level of jobs. It isn't their fault of the market conditions of supply and demand that sets wages. Merely it is only their fault how well they compete against others, but if enough jobs don't exist... some amount of people always lose out.

There is also little evidence to link a person's past borrowing practice to their current ability to get a job and stay above the poverty line.

You can also call out Clinton all you want. It is partially true, however it is also laughable you don't mention congressional Republicans either. As much deregulation as there was, some good/some bad, it was heavily negotiated with a very hostile Republican congress. In this case standard party politics need not apply in the blame game.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:30 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Nobody wants to live in a crime-ridden area where you're chances of being robbed or worse increases dramatically. Atlanta is still a top 10 most dangerous large city in the nation. There are multiple lists if you don't believe me.

I wonder if you'd be one of those people who'd live in The Bluff or English Avenue. It's real easy to talk, but I doubt you'd do the walk.
The Bluff and English Avenue are two small parts that make up the Southside of Atlanta. Most of the southern Metro is not crime-ridden - only small areas like the ones you mentioned. Acting as if it's all one big ghetto just perpetuates that misconception.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:45 AM

3 posts, read 6,025 times
One factor to also consider is the rate at which poor inner-city residents are relocating to the suburbs (especially Henry and Clayton Counties) and how it correlates to the rise in wealthier residents moving into the city, the City's demolition of public and low-income housing, the diminishing of section 8 vouchers and incentives, and , through re-development, rising property taxes putting pressure on low-income home owners leaving few options but relocation.

food for thought

Old 09-05-2013, 03:01 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Looks like another study out showing a big rise in suburban poverty in Atlanta:

Suburban poverty calls for regional approach; MARTA ridership affected by quest for affordable housing | SaportaReport
Data Show Poverty Has Swollen More Outside The Perimeter - Statistical Crunches - Curbed Atlanta

Old 09-05-2013, 05:49 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
For the first time in american history, more than 50% of those receiving EBT live in the suburbs.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:33 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,999 times
You cannot borrow from your future or do everything by credit. You must get out of debt at all cost. I work in the personal bankruptcy industries and you will be surprise at the people that filed. Most of them have several credit cards, alot of student loans, and of the course a mortgage, and car loan. My advice is for them to listen to Dave Ramsey and Suzy Ornman.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:40 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,999 times
You cannot borrow from your future or do everything by credit. You must get out of debt at all cost. I work in the personal bankruptcy industries and you will be surprise at the people that filed. Most of them have several credit cards, alot of student loans, and of the course a mortgage, and car loan.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:45 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
The Bluff and English Avenue are two small parts that make up the Southside of Atlanta.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:58 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
You cannot borrow from your future or do everything by credit. You must get out of debt at all cost. I work in the personal bankruptcy industries and you will be surprise at the people that filed. Most of them have several credit cards, alot of student loans, and of the course a mortgage, and car loan. My advice is for them to listen to Dave Ramsey and Suzy Ornman.
This applies to a small segment of poor people. The overwhelming majority of them simply do not earn enough to satisfy all their basic needs on a consistent basis.

Have you ever read Nickeled and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By In America? I recommend it, if you haven't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta