U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 9,375 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some advice and things to look out for in the Vinings area. We are considering a job transfer to Vinings around November. We are West Coast people and know that it is going to be a big change for us.
We have a 13 year old daughter so we are looking for a safe place. Some of the things we will be looking for:
Area with good high school (preferably with a golf team)
Ballet studio
Christian church
Safe neighborhood to walk in
Easy commute to Home Depot corporate office
Close to shopping
I am just hoping to find a starting point. We will have to do most of our research on line before we come for a visit to look for house. It would be nice to have an area narrowed down.
What is your opinion on Smyrna?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 08:50 AM

550 posts, read 847,125 times
I would look in the area zoned for Riverwood High School. Good luck!

Old 05-20-2013, 09:00 AM

2,466 posts, read 4,067,923 times
You will find most of what you are looking for in the Smyrna/Vinings area.

For Ballet - the various Atlanta Ballet locations are all easy commutes from Smyrna/Vinings and East Cobb

Dance Classes in Atlanta | Learn Ballet | Centre for Dance Education

For stronger high schools are going to be in East Cobb. I believe they have the better golf teams as well. Parts of East Cobb would not be a bad commute to Home Depot so you will want to consider that area if you can afford it (home will definitely be pricier than Smyrna).

Smyrna/Vinings are both very walkable areas

Old 05-20-2013, 09:11 AM

550 posts, read 847,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
You will find most of what you are looking for in the Smyrna/Vinings area.

For Ballet - the various Atlanta Ballet locations are all easy commutes from Smyrna/Vinings and East Cobb

Dance Classes in Atlanta | Learn Ballet | Centre for Dance Education

For stronger high schools are going to be in East Cobb. I believe they have the better golf teams as well. Parts of East Cobb would not be a bad commute to Home Depot so you will want to consider that area if you can afford it (home will definitely be pricier than Smyrna).

Smyrna/Vinings are both very walkable areas
I think East Cobb high schools are great and love living here, but Riverwood is also great, (IMO), (and better commute). I would bet money that Riverwood has a good golf team.
Riverwood High School

Last edited by deacongirl; 05-20-2013 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: add link to Riverwood golf

Old 05-20-2013, 09:28 AM

2,138 posts, read 2,214,671 times
Great advice re: high schools so far. Are you looking for a nondenominational Contemporary Christian church? Then I would suggest Buckhead Church which is part of North Point Ministries. If you want a more traditional church, what denomination?

Old 05-20-2013, 09:00 PM

7,436 posts, read 6,747,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmyq View Post
I am looking for some advice and things to look out for in the Vinings area. We are considering a job transfer to Vinings around November. We are West Coast people and know that it is going to be a big change for us.
We have a 13 year old daughter so we are looking for a safe place. Some of the things we will be looking for:
Area with good high school (preferably with a golf team)
Ballet studio
Christian church
Safe neighborhood to walk in
Easy commute to Home Depot corporate office
Close to shopping
I am just hoping to find a starting point. We will have to do most of our research on line before we come for a visit to look for house. It would be nice to have an area narrowed down.
What is your opinion on Smyrna?

Thank you in advance for your help.
...Vinings is a really nice area with high land values that will continue to rise because of the area's close promixity to the Cumberland, Perimeter Center/Dunwoody, Buckhead, Midtown and Downtown business districts.

Smyrna is a close-in OTP (Outside The I-285 Perimeter Highway) suburb that is on the rise with lots of new high and higher-density single family homes being constructed in what are the early stages of an emerging downtown and town center near and around what will presumably be a future rail transit stop within the next couple-of-decades.

Both Vinings and Smyrna are in the Campbell High School cluster of the Cobb County Public Schools district.

The Campbell High School cluster is a good school cluster, but Campbell HS and its feeder schools are in an area that is turning from a suburban area traditionally filled with lower-density single-family housing to more of an urban area that is filling up with higher-density single-family and multi-family housing.

As such, Campbell and its feeder schools have to deal with a rising amount of urban issues (impoverished students, transient students, students with limited English proficiency, etc) which means that the Campbell HS cluster is not anywhere near as highly-regarded as its counterparts in East Cobb (Walton HS, Pope HS, Wheeler HS, Sprayberry HS, Lassiter HS) which are some of the most highly-regarded high school clusters in the entire nation.

Because the Campbell HS cluster may not necessarily have the same reputation as its much more highly-regarded counterparts in East Cobb and North Fulton, some, though most certainly not all, affluent residents who live in upscale enclaves with the Vinings and Smyrna areas of the Campbell HS cluster sometimes elect to send their children to private schools.

Great Schools is an excellent online tool that parents and those concerned about how the quality of schools in an area may affect their property values can use to research the quality and effectiveness of schools in areas that are looking to relocate to.

Here is a link to the Great Schools page for Campbell High School in Smyrna that includes most if not all of the academic and demographic information that parents need to know to make an informed decision about the quality of schools in an areas where they are looking to relocate.
Campbell High School - Smyrna, Georgia - GA - School overview

If you like upscale urban living, then the Vinings area is definitely for you as Vinings, particularly the Vinings Village area, is somewhat adorable with a village architectual theme of 1830's-type historical buildings in a compact village area that is making strides to become more walkable over the long-term.

The Vinings and Smyrna areas are also really close (only a few minutes away) from a very-large shopping cluster in the Cumberland Mall/Galleria area at I-285 and US 41/Cobb Parkway which has every big-box and national store and restaurant chain imaginable.

The Vinings and Smyrna areas also are not too terribly far away from large shopping clusters in Sandy Springs/Perimeter Center/Dunwoody and Buckhead, though the traffic and the limited road network in getting back-and-forth to those areas on Interstates 285 & 75 can sometimes be a little challenging.

Smyrna is an area with a lot of long-term potential as a city that is in the process of reinventing itself during its continued transition from sleepy outlying suburb to vibrant urban district.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:35 PM

2,466 posts, read 4,067,923 times
Quote:
The Campbell High School cluster is a good school cluster, but Campbell HS and its feeder schools are in an area that is turning from a suburban area traditionally filled with lower-density single-family housing to more of an urban area that is filling up with higher-density single-family and multi-family housing.

As such, Campbell and its feeder schools have to deal with a rising amount of urban issues (impoverished students, transient students, students with limited English proficiency, etc)
Born 2 Roll - overall I agree with your comments about Smyrna. But one point of clarification - Smyrna has had a moratorium on apartments for 16 years due to the problems with impoverished students, transient students, students with limited English proficiency, etc. This is not a new problem for the Campbell High School cluster. The higher density homes that have been built in the area are primarily townhomes starting at $200,000

Old 05-21-2013, 12:33 AM

273 posts, read 366,339 times
Quote:
Born 2 Roll - overall I agree with your comments about Smyrna. But one point of clarification - Smyrna has had a moratorium on apartments for 16 years due to the problems with impoverished students, transient students, students with limited English proficiency, etc. This is not a new problem for the Campbell High School cluster. The higher density homes that have been built in the area are primarily townhomes starting at $200,000
Unincorporated Cobb has not had a moratorium, however. I can think of at least three large complexes that would feed into Campbell that have been built in the last 12 years.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:53 AM

Quote:
...But even with the 16-year moratorium on new apartments within the city limits of incorporated Smyrna, there are still plenty of apartments both within incorporated and unincorporated Smyrna that were built before the moratorium went into effect.

The numerous apartment complexes along roads like Village Parkway, Cobb Parkway and Spring Road immediately come to mind as existing apartment complexes that are located within incorporated areas of Smyrna and predate the city's 16-year-old moratorium on new apartment construction.

The numerous apartment complexes along and near I-285 in unincorporated areas of Smyrna, Vinings and Southeastern Cobb County come to mind as areas of multi-family housing outside of the city limits of Smyrna that feed students into the Campbell High School cluster.

There is nothing wrong with an area having multi-family housing as every major city and large urban area on the North American continent has areas with large clusters of multi-family housing.

But there also is no denying that the greater Smyrna and Vinings area of Southeastern Cobb County are home to a large cluster of multi-family housing complexes that directly affect how the Campbell High School cluster is perceived by the public, rather rightly or wrongly.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperanita View Post
Unincorporated Cobb has not had a moratorium, however. I can think of at least three large complexes that would feed into Campbell that have been built in the last 12 years.
...LOL! That should come as no surprise to anyone as Cobb County has never met a building permit application that it didn't like.

Cobb County's continued zest for the never-ending construction of new development (overdevelopment) is a major reason why the county's population has more than doubled over the last three decades, growing by 138 percent from 297,718 in 1980 to 707,442 in 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta