Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 08:41 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,236,752 times

Advertisements

Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 08:44 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,236,752 times
From the article: Atlanta’s latest approach to reduce homelessness in the city calls for the creation of a non-profit organization under the control of the mayor.
The proposal arises from the city’s work conducted with a portion of the $3.3 million innovation grant from Bloomberg Philanthropies. The new non-profit is to raise money from public and private sources, hire an executive director, invite relevant partners to join the program, and comply with all federal laws.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:49 AM

4,688 posts, read 7,983,187 times
We should do like NYC did and just give him a one-way ticket to any city that they want to go to lol

Old 05-28-2013, 09:13 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,967,513 times
Unless the plan has meaningful provisions for addressing mental health and substance abuse, I don't see how it would make a difference.

Certainly, money is a problem, but homelessness is not a problem that can be solved by throwing money at it.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:31 AM

31,993 posts, read 36,521,236 times
I don't like the idea of putting such a program under the control of the mayor.

We've got tons of dedicated and superb non-profit leaders and there's no reason to create another program for political appointees, who are beholden to politicians.

Politically appointed boards do not have a great history in this town (or elsewhere for that matter). Think Grady, for instance.

From the article:

Quote:
... the mayor will appoint the chair and at least half the members of the permanent board. The permanent board is to have at least 11 members who represent a range of interests, according to the legislation. The legislation does not mention any role of the Atlanta City Council in confirming the mayor’s appointees or overseeing the program to reduce homelessness in Atlanta. There is no mention of a process for selecting the members not appointed by the mayor.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:11 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,380,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
From the article: Atlanta’s latest approach to reduce homelessness in the city calls for the creation of a non-profit organization under the control of the mayor.
The proposal arises from the city’s work conducted with a portion of the $3.3 million innovation grant from Bloomberg Philanthropies. The new non-profit is to raise money from public and private sources, hire an executive director, invite relevant partners to join the program, and comply with all federal laws.
Sounds like a recipe for corruption and waste.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:01 PM

554 posts, read 973,356 times
We can host the Olympics again.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:49 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,201,444 times
How about....

We take a base scheduled for closing, convert it to house, feed, and shelter the homeless.

Why? Well, bases were designed to house, feed and shelter large amounts of people, cheaply. Having lived on one for 4 years I can promise you, you can't do it cheaper (less all the motor transports, airplanes, etc).

Benefits...

YOU have already paid for them
They are complete with chow/mess halls
Medical facilities (more on this shortly)
Theater
Training and classroom facilities
Private with a sense of dignity
Secure....to some degree

How to make it work....

Those who are capable turn out for "muster" every morning. This labor pool is farmed out for labor jobs. Use some old buses for transport to and fom the employers who can use this help. Use the classrooms at night to retrain and teach new skills with volunteers and contractors. Take a portion of the earnings to pay for the overhead (lights, food, etc). Subsidize the rest.

Bring medical volunteers on base during the weekends for dental and healthcare needs (there's a group of dentists that do this today in Piedmont park....for free....I'm confident there is a battalion of medical volunteers to continue the charge).

Use those that are not as capable for laundry detail, base maintenance, cooking in the chow hall, cleaning. ...

Use the other half of their pay and put it in a guarded account to accrue until at such point the homeless person can successfully move back into society.

It's a rough sketch and this has been on my mind since 1998. Just seems like a more efficient way to get those that need and want to, back on their feet. They might just need a little help. A buffer, if you will, as they save enough to move on. All this while they are afforded a safe, dignified dwelling that is safe for both they and their families.

Are there challenges? (mentally ill, violent, drug abusers, ets). Yes. Would we have to subsidize it? You bet. However, what is it costing us NOW? Every time one gets sick it's off to Grady. What is the social service cost today?

Some are obviously not suited for this. Some belong in more appropriate facilities. But for the other 60-70% who are capable and can handle this, I'd say it would work. We have the facilities, the cost can be shouldered by large metro areas (yes, this means shipping the homeless from around the region to it, if so desired and capable and willing) however,the cost would be spread or, more appropriately, spent more efficiently by the metros currently affected today.

In short, we are already paying the cost today across a broad area with even less of a success rate than this model.....don't you think? A typical base can house 1,500 to 10,000. Sure, there would be some retrofitting necessary and security would be a challenge but, again, we are facing this already. We are just doing it across dozens of counties.

Aggregation is the key. It always is. By aggregating the people who need the service, the cost for all services would be cheaper as everyone is located at one location. The bases merely serve as a shell ready to be modified and serve another worthy cause. We don't need another "commission". We need to use what we have. Between the business leaders and brainpower we have here today, I can't see why we couldn't conquer this challenge too?

Between donations, exceptional management skills from food, utility, transportation, education, ecumenical, and so on, we could probably take an old base or two here in Georgia and try? The military/national guard could even help phase it in.

Being homeless doent necessarily mean we have to leave people helpless and hopeless?

My downside is I can envision it but I don't know how to start it. I leave that for you logistics types out there to figure it out. Im pretty sure we could get enough donated transport busses, linens, food, kitchen utensils, dietitians, medical personnel,police, fire, supply, electrical, remodeling, plumbing and most of all rock solid project management types to make this work.

Afterall, the buildings and land are already there. Bought and paid for by the taxpayer, years ago. They no longer make economic sense for the military but, I can imagine a few thousand homeless that would just love to have a roof over their head tonight, food in their stomachs tomorrow morning and the hope that with a little help, they can get back on their feet again?

Thoughts?

Old 05-29-2013, 10:21 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,698,706 times
Quote:
We should do like NYC did and just give him a one-way ticket to any city that they want to go to lol
Straight to Skid Row in LA.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:48 AM

259 posts, read 392,409 times
What's the actual plan? I just see a bunch of rhetoric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: