Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 04:54 PM

27 posts, read 26,350 times

Advertisements

So I am almost about to graduate college and I plan on doing graduate school/medical school after college. Then there will come time for me to pick an area of the US to live and since I live in Georgia for such a long time, maybe Atlanta would be a decent option. Now I have had certain experiences in Georgia that have made me want to get away from the state but I haven't really lived in Atlanta before.

Now let me say what I am looking for in a city:

1. I want a city that provides good outdoor acitivities

2. A city that has a good female to male ratio (single females aren't hard to find)

3. A city which has a good nightlife

4. A city that isn't like other areas of the deep south. Living in the deep south as an Indian guy I felt that my dating options were tightly limited, I could date Asian, Black and Brown (latino and persian) girls but White women were offlimits for me. Most would not date me due to skin color alone. Perhaps if you can tell me about how common White women - Indian men couples (not the other way around) are in Atlanta it would give some insight but I do want to be in a city that provides me a lot of dating options.

In case you are wondering, I am Indian like Kal Penn (Westernized), not an FOB with a heavy accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 05:26 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
Hahahaha I love the term FOB.

Yeah, Atlanta sounds good for you. I've met lots of Indians down here who are non-traditional and love partying!

Old 05-28-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Hahahaha I love the term FOB.

Yeah, Atlanta sounds good for you. I've met lots of Indians down here who are non-traditional and love partying!
known any Indian men with white girlfriends or wives?

Old 05-28-2013, 06:01 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Canister View Post
known any Indian men with white girlfriends or wives?
Nope but they have to exist. There are lots of interracial couples in every major city.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:49 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,467 times
Indians everywhere love partying (in my experience). There's a reason that they are the 2nd most populous country in the world!

As for interracial dating... Atlanta isn't horrible, but it still can't compare to true melting pots like California, NYC, D.C., etc. Asian male + Caucasian female couples are rare in my experience. The only ones I have personally come into contact with were college buddies who were the offspring of such relationships. Both of them were from big cities in Florida. Maybe you should consider Florida?

Old 05-28-2013, 07:34 PM

are White women in Atlanta generally very closed off to the idea of dating an Indian guy regardless of how attractive, confident, and successful he is?

I heard they have a lot of Indians and a lot of White women but it seems like the two never hook up.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:13 PM

259 posts, read 393,989 times
As long as you don't stink ( or stink up the office at lunch) and speak English I think you can get a white woman. Many of the Indian bros here are FOBish and stay in close groups with other Indians.

Probably H1Bs living with their brothers. You should have no issue getting white women of you are Americanized.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:23 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,364 times
Obviously, I can't speak for every white woman in ATL but in my experience, I usually see them with pretty typical looking white guys (occasionally, I'll see them with black men as well). That doesn't mean that you won't have any luck here. I'm simply stating an observation.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:28 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
I don't know much about your particular situation when it comes to relations between East Indian men and white women (though I do know that white women are often heavily-attracted to men with dark-skinned complexions so talking to them should not really be a problem for you if that's what you like).

But I do know that Metro Atlanta has an EXPLODING East Indian (and Asian) population with some areas of the region being home to heavy concentrations of East Indians.

This is particularly the case in parts of DeKalb, Gwinnett (which is one of the most-diverse counties in the entire U.S.), North Fulton and even out into South Forsyth counties.

Metro Atlanta is also home to what is supposedly the largest Hindu temple in the world outside of India, the BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir at the corner of U.S. Highway 29 and Rockbridge Road in Lilburn in Gwinnett County.
http://atlanta.baps.org/

If you choose to live in Metro Atlanta, you will be living in a major metro area with a very-large and fast-growing East Indian community.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:02 PM

That is my thing, I have never felt a part of the Indian community. I was raised around Black and White people my whole life. I love medium rare steak for god's sake lol.

Obviously you guys must know of some Indian men in Atlanta that are Westernised and Americanized, have they had issues dating interracial with White women too?

I put emphasis on White women because I used to be in Augusta for a while where I dated beautiful Latina, mixed race, and even a stunning Persian girl with no problems but White women seemed to just step away from me or any foreign looking man.

See, to me Indian food is a treat, I rarely get to have it, and notice I do sometimes have a smell going for me when I do have it. My diet constantly mostly of American foods and that is why I am concerned. I want to have a broad dating pool but in Augusta, when I was there, the White females just pretty much excluded me and many of them stayed away from me like I am some guy from another planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta