U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-06-2013, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Ono Island, Orange Beach, AL
10,674 posts, read 12,166,624 times
Reputation: 7003

Advertisements

I have serious doubts that someone in Alpharetta will drive downtown to the multi-modal station, park and board a train to Charlotte. They can drive in 4 hours a lot more conveniently and still have their car to get around the city. I travel to Charlotte for business quite frequently. I would not take a train. I think most folks wouldn't take a train. Does it sound cool? Sure. Is it practical? Nopers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-06-2013, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
30,714 posts, read 31,942,195 times
Reputation: 13798
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I have serious doubts that someone in Alpharetta will drive downtown to the multi-modal station, park and board a train to Charlotte. They can drive in 4 hours a lot more conveniently and still have their car to get around the city. I travel to Charlotte for business quite frequently. I would not take a train. I think most folks wouldn't take a train. Does it sound cool? Sure. Is it practical? Nopers.
How would that trip work logistically?

Traveling from NYC to DC is pretty easy. You can catch the train or take a cab to Penn Station.

Penn Station, New York, NY - Google Maps

And then hop a cab to Downtown from Union Station. You could also take Metro.

Union Station, Washington, DC - Google Maps

Peachtree Station is completely isolated.

Amtrak Station-ATL, Peachtree Street Northwest, Atlanta, GA - Google Maps

And Charlotte's station is even more isolated.

Amtrak Station-CLT, North Tryon Street, Charlotte, NC - Google Maps
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2013, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,242 posts, read 5,728,439 times
Reputation: 2766
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
the reason that is so is because the train service is so crappy between charlotte and atlanta. why don't you instead look at the number of people who fly between charlotte and atlanta, and who would be willing to take the high speed rail because it would be cheaper and faster than flying? that would be a lot of people. believe it or not businesspeople frequently fly between atlanta and charlotte all the time. and now imagine all the people who would rather take the train that have to drive for 4-5 hours. between those two, you've got a considerable amount of people that would rather take the train.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Almost 1.8 million people fly from Atlanta-Charlotte/Charlotte-Atlanta each year. I'm sure a lot would be willing to ride a train.
I know I already said it, but Delta is not going to tolerate that much competition in their home base. It will likely always be cheaper to fly than take the train b/t those two destinations. I believe now up in the NE it is cheaper to fly the shuttle v train.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2013, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,242 posts, read 5,728,439 times
Reputation: 2766
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I have serious doubts that someone in Alpharetta will drive downtown to the multi-modal station, park and board a train to Charlotte. They can drive in 4 hours a lot more conveniently and still have their car to get around the city. I travel to Charlotte for business quite frequently. I would not take a train. I think most folks wouldn't take a train. Does it sound cool? Sure. Is it practical? Nopers.
Good point. That is one of the reasons rail works in the NE. You don't have to have a car once you get to your destination.

Come into Atlanta or Charlotte, guess what, you will likely need a car. If I'm on business I'm trying to get things done. I can't wait for a bus or taxi, I have a schedule. This is the one of the biggest reasons why business people will not be using HSR in the SE in mass. This point cannot be ignored.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2013, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,242 posts, read 5,728,439 times
Reputation: 2766
PDF of potential station locations.
http://www.dot.ga.gov/travelingingeo...tationMaps.pdf

They are showing putting a station for the airport in Hapeville, not connected in any way to a terminal! That would be so stupid. They need to put it on the tracks behind the MARTA yard and add a station to the rental car train right above it. I drive by this every day and it is the perfect location.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2013, 11:54 AM
 
10,974 posts, read 9,845,324 times
Reputation: 3434
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Come into Atlanta or Charlotte, guess what, you will likely need a car. If I'm on business I'm trying to get things done. I can't wait for a bus or taxi, I have a schedule. This is the one of the biggest reasons why business people will not be using HSR in the SE in mass. This point cannot be ignored.
It is true. It should not be ignored. However, plenty of people still fly within the SE for business. Most of these distances are ideal distance for rail connections. As someone who travels for business, often just within the SE I find that many prefer to fly (I actually drive more often than others to cash out on the mileage payout since my car is a beater and gets good MPG).

Point is, even if you are not going to personally use it often, it is something we should be considering in the coming decades (Even if LA county has more people than 42 of the 50 states). And that means planning now, and starting a gauge exactly how much demand there is for it today and in the future.

Remember the current airport at ATL didn't even exist until 33 years ago, and planning started in 1967. The HSR lines will need that sort of time scale to be built out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2013, 11:58 AM
 
10,974 posts, read 9,845,324 times
Reputation: 3434
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
PDF of potential station locations.
http://www.dot.ga.gov/travelingingeo...tationMaps.pdf

They are showing putting a station for the airport in Hapeville, not connected in any way to a terminal! That would be so stupid. They need to put it on the tracks behind the MARTA yard and add a station to the rental car train right above it. I drive by this every day and it is the perfect location.
Good find.

I agree it should be connected to the terminal. It is not terribly far away from the international terminal, so they should connect that or even better build the station on the other side where the railroad tracks already run under the "ATL Sky Train".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2013, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
30,714 posts, read 31,942,195 times
Reputation: 13798
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
It is true. It should not be ignored. However, plenty of people still fly within the SE for business. Most of these distances are ideal distance for rail connections. As someone who travels for business, often just within the SE I find that many prefer to fly (I actually drive more often than others to cash out on the mileage payout since my car is a beater and gets good MPG).
But the airports are already there. You don't need to spend billions on additional infrastructure to get from Atlanta to Charlotte. What would be the point of that? Sure, it would be another mode of transit, but so would helicopters. Why not build hundreds of heliports so people can take a chopper from Atlanta to Charlotte? It would probably be more economical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Remember the current airport at ATL didn't even exist until 33 years ago, and planning started in 1967. The HSR lines will need that sort of time scale to be built out.
There's a big difference between building an airport and building HSR. The success of Atlanta's airport is largely owed to the fact that Delta and AirTran are based there. That ensures that passenger volume will be high. There's no such guarantee for HSR.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2013, 12:34 PM
 
10,974 posts, read 9,845,324 times
Reputation: 3434
I am sure our individual gut feelings and the random bits of trivia we have been able to Google for this thread is great and all but at what point should we begin to professionally estimate the costs and demands for a given high-speed rail line then? I really fail to see the problem with planning for the future. Do you think this means they are breaking ground on this line tomorrow?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2013, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
23,728 posts, read 22,576,627 times
Reputation: 5684
Quote:
And Charlotte's station is even more isolated.

Amtrak Station-CLT, North Tryon Street, Charlotte, NC - Google Maps
Looks like some country-bumpkin town's train station.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top