Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2013, 10:25 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I know I already said it, but Delta is not going to tolerate that much competition in their home base. It will likely always be cheaper to fly than take the train b/t those two destinations. I believe now up in the NE it is cheaper to fly the shuttle v train.
It isn't Delta's choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 10:53 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,520,959 times
Using trains should be a plus for Delta. Instead of having to land a dinky little Dash-8 turboprop with two dozen short-distance passengers, they can land a 777 carrying FOUR HUNDRED passengers from across the continent.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:58 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,868,878 times
I have serious doubts that someone in Alpharetta will drive down to the airport, park and board a plane to Charlotte. They can drive in 4 hours a lot more conveniently and still have their car to get around the city. I travel to Charlotte for business quite frequently. I would not take a plane. I think most folks wouldn't take a plane. Does it sound cool? Sure. Is it practical? Nopers.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:24 AM

725 posts, read 1,278,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
I have serious doubts that someone in Alpharetta will drive down to the airport, park and board a plane to Charlotte. They can drive in 4 hours a lot more conveniently and still have their car to get around the city. I travel to Charlotte for business quite frequently. I would not take a plane. I think most folks wouldn't take a plane. Does it sound cool? Sure. Is it practical? Nopers.
If there was an affordable train would you use it? How about if there was a stop in Duluth?

Also delta could use rail in Georgia as a feeder system, United code shares with amtrak in the NEC.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:42 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,374,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
Royalties, please.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:32 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
If there was an affordable train would you use it? How about if there was a stop in Duluth?
What is "affordable?" The cheapest roundtrip ticket between DC and NYC on Amtrak is $164 (before tax). And that's only if you decide to leave at 3:00 am both ways. If you departed on the 5:30 am train from Union Station and returned on the 6:00 am train from Penn Station, it would cost you $315 (before tax). If you made the trip during peak times, which is obviously what most people would want to do, your ticket would cost $473 before tax. Is that affordable?

There's no way Amtrak could build all of that additional infrastructure, hire all of those additional workers, and continue to charge $56 each way between Atlanta and Charlotte (which may be cost-prohibitive for many people already). There's no way a ticket would be "affordable" to the average person looking to take a trip to Charlotte of all places. It would make more sense to pay for the $20 oil change at Midas, pay for $60 bucks of gas, and drive there.

Sure, if Amtrak could build HSR between ATL and Charlotte for $1 million, and charge $20 for one way tickets, I'd be all for it. But that's just not realistic.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:15 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,234,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
It isn't Delta's choice.
That's not the point. They will price them out. They do it to every competitor that attempts to come in. Delta does not want to give up business to a train, I seriously doubt they will be working with HSR considering it is a direct competitor.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:09 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What is "affordable?" The cheapest roundtrip ticket between DC and NYC on Amtrak is $164 (before tax). And that's only if you decide to leave at 3:00 am both ways. If you departed on the 5:30 am train from Union Station and returned on the 6:00 am train from Penn Station, it would cost you $315 (before tax). If you made the trip during peak times, which is obviously what most people would want to do, your ticket would cost $473 before tax. Is that affordable?
No, it's $49 each way, if you book at least 2 weeks ahead. On Wed Jun 26, a number of trains from leaves NYC from 3-6 are $49.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:50 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
No, it's $49 each way, if you book at least 2 weeks ahead. On Wed Jun 26, a number of trains from leaves NYC from 3-6 are $49.
So, if I have the foresight to book a train ticket two weeks out, I can pay....

$200 roundtrip (me and the wife) but only if I leave DC at 3am; or

$70 on gas + $50 in tolls (less with EZ Pass) = $120 to drive; or

$32 roundtrip on Bolt for the same dates (for two people).

In a straight cost-to-cost comparison, the train only beats driving, and that's only if I'm by myself. If I have my wife and a couple of friends, there's clearly more financial incentive for us all to just pile into my car.

The only way I'm taking Amtrak is if my firm pays for it. The $80 to $168 I save by either driving or taking the Bolt is worth more than saving the environment to me. And the train is not saving time anyway since the cheap tickets are not express trains, but rather the regional connectors. If you want the Acela on the 26th, you're paying $199.

So I don't see any reason to take Amtrak unless someone else is footing the bill. It makes sense for business travel. But it makes little sense from a personal perspective unless you really just enjoy trains that much.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:07 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
I meant 3-6 pm it's $49 each way. The regional connector is still faster, since it's leaving NYC near rush hour (the bus will lose traffic time).

The train is a decent option from NYC to Springfield, MA if you book ahead; a friend who visits me uses it sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta