Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 08:54 PM

141 posts, read 297,944 times

Advertisements

Can anyone here give me a more recent account of what's going on in the Capitol View neighborhood? I've seen some older posts about the area, but since it's so transitional I'd like to see if there's anything anyone can add. My husband & I drove through CV a couple of times and were pleasantly surprised with what we saw. It had a lot of adorable older homes, a good mix of people out and about, and a really great park. I've seen the neighborhood association's website which looks nice and it seems to have an active community that cares about the neighborhood. My main concern with this neighborhood is safety. Southwest Atlanta doesn't have the best reputation and CV seems to have it's share of boarded up homes, but for the price of the homes there it's not surprising. It's a transitional/up-and-coming neighborhood and I get that. But I am concerned with safety anywhere I live and I don't want to live in fear of being burglarized of having my car stolen from my driveway. Does anyone here live in Capitol View or have recent experience living there? I'd love to hear from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 10:45 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,702,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish27 View Post
Can anyone here give me a more recent account of what's going on in the Capitol View neighborhood? I've seen some older posts about the area, but since it's so transitional I'd like to see if there's anything anyone can add. My husband & I drove through CV a couple of times and were pleasantly surprised with what we saw. It had a lot of adorable older homes, a good mix of people out and about, and a really great park. I've seen the neighborhood association's website which looks nice and it seems to have an active community that cares about the neighborhood. My main concern with this neighborhood is safety. Southwest Atlanta doesn't have the best reputation and CV seems to have it's share of boarded up homes, but for the price of the homes there it's not surprising. It's a transitional/up-and-coming neighborhood and I get that. But I am concerned with safety anywhere I live and I don't want to live in fear of being burglarized of having my car stolen from my driveway. Does anyone here live in Capitol View or have recent experience living there? I'd love to hear from you.
It is really charming. My great granddad's house is in the area. I grew up visiting him there every weekend as a kid. Saw the area in the worse of times. It is better, however still fairly bad.

Before the recession, thanks to the Beltline movement, you started to see all the early signs of transition. The recession put a stop to that. Home values in the area plummeted pretty far and the transition didn't gain a huge foothold like if did to areas further northeast of CV across I-85.

For whatever it is worth...if you keep looking in the area. I would highly recommended checking out Capitol View Manor across Metropolitan. It is its own little nook bounded by the freeway, and the industrial areas off University. There is no thru-traffic/streets and traditionally the neighborhood has held better value in the area.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:34 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,829,678 times
it's a beautiful historic neighbourhood, but i will not lie— it is a higher crime area. the problem is that it's an island on its own in southwest atlanta— all the nicer neighbourhoods, west end, grant park, and the ones in east point such as colonial hills, are separated from capitol view by at least a mile. there are no grocery stores in the area, no restaurants, no shops, and they've had a hard time trying to bring these necessities to the area since it is in such an island by itself, surrounded by worse neighbourhoods such as pittsburgh.

i expect the neighbourhood won't see any real progress until the beltline section from adair park to washington park is completed, or at least started. that will be the catalyst for sustained interest in capitol view. until then it will be a beautiful neighbourhood in a rough area where you'll have to drive at least a mile to get anything to eat, to shop, or do much of anything.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:33 PM

Thanks for the input, cwkimbro and bryantm3. I was worried that might be the case. I might check out Capitol View Manor to see how it compares. But it is a bit concerning about the crime issues. I've lived in some not-so-great neighborhoods but I do hope to find something that's in a safe area since my husband and I want to start a family soon.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the input, cwkimbro and bryantm3. I was worried that might be the case. I might check out Capitol View Manor to see how it compares. But it is a bit concerning about the crime issues. I've lived in some not-so-great neighborhoods but I do hope to find something that's in a safe area since my husband and I want to start a family soon.
if you're looking for other areas in that quadrant of town that are getting a lot better that have a more urban layout, i'd recommend west end/westview; colonial hills, frog hollow and semmes park in east point; and the rugby avenue corridor in college park.

the beltline down there may be coming faster than you expect; construction could start within five years, so if you wanted to hold off moving to see how the situation changes, that could be a possibility.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
if you're looking for other areas in that quadrant of town that are getting a lot better that have a more urban layout, i'd recommend west end/westview; colonial hills, frog hollow and semmes park in east point; and the rugby avenue corridor in college park.

the beltline down there may be coming faster than you expect; construction could start within five years, so if you wanted to hold off moving to see how the situation changes, that could be a possibility.
Thanks bryantm3! We're not necessarily set on SW Atlanta. We're really open to anywhere except the NE side of town (it would be too much of a commute). I just saw some of the houses in CV and loved the style and when I drove through the neighborhood I was surprised with how cute it is. The home prices were also quite appealing. We're on a modest budget, but could afford more than what we want to spend. We're really hoping to spend no more $150K. We just don't want to end up putting too much of our income into housing so early on. It's been a struggle finding areas that are safe, affordable, and have a warm community feel. Where we live now everyone keeps to themselves and there is no community involvement at all. Suggestions on neighborhoods would definitely be welcome. Thanks again for your input!

Old 05-31-2013, 01:49 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,724,199 times
Quote:
Thanks bryantm3! We're not necessarily set on SW Atlanta. We're really open to anywhere except the NE side of town (it would be too much of a commute). I just saw some of the houses in CV and loved the style and when I drove through the neighborhood I was surprised with how cute it is. The home prices were also quite appealing. We're on a modest budget, but could afford more than what we want to spend. We're really hoping to spend no more $150K. We just don't want to end up putting too much of our income into housing so early on. It's been a struggle finding areas that are safe, affordable, and have a warm community feel. Where we live now everyone keeps to themselves and there is no community involvement at all. Suggestions on neighborhoods would definitely be welcome. Thanks again for your input!
Some very affordable homes and/or fixer-uppers in Edgewood. Safe area, occasional car break ins and burglaries.
Close to retail, restaurants, MARTA, and freeways.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Some very affordable homes and/or fixer-uppers in Edgewood. Safe area, occasional car break ins and burglaries.
Close to retail, restaurants, MARTA, and freeways.
Thanks cqholt! I have seen some nice homes in Edgewood! I do like the location as well. We're hoping not to do the fixer-upper thing again. Been there, done that. I don't care if a place is not super updated so long as it's well maintained. But yeah, I'll definitely keep my eyes on Edgewood.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
how northeast are you willing to go? is anywhere inside the city limits OK? i have a few suggestions in the northeast and northwest but they might be too far out of the way.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,375 times
Currently moving out of this area. We actually live in Sylvan Hills right now, but Sylvan Hills/Capitol View/CVM are all pretty connected (the neighborhood associations even host joint events pretty frequently!)

My honest opinion is that there are almost two neighborhoods existing simultaneously here. On one hand, you have an active neighborhood association with supportive neighbors and caring homeowners. On the other hand, there are a lot of run down rental properties and vacant homes, and a fair amount of crime to go along with it.

You are right that the housing stock is in general very nice and Perkerson Park is a great asset (beautiful with disc golf course and a splash pad that was just added last year!)

I think the neighborhood will come around, but you'd have to be willing to take a risk and wait a for a bit as it is not going to change overnight. We were "fortunate" that two years in this home were relatively uneventful, but we did deal with a break-in this year. The responding APD officer admitted that he was surprised we had made it so long without incident. Then, shortly after that, there was a shooting across the street. Gunshots are not that uncommon of an occurrence - I would say we hear them at least once a month or so.

Less dangerous than other parts of SW Atlanta? Yes... But you must be realistic when considering this neighborhood and recognize that the threat of crime is very real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta