Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2013, 04:30 PM

75 posts, read 553,749 times

Advertisements

How long can a tennant pay an estimated water bill. My meter has been broken for a year and a half...supposedly. Since then I have been over paying the water bill and have consistently been told that when the meter is fixed I will get a 'true' water bill. I know that will never happen because apartment complexes are notorious for 'reselling' water. Some months the bill is probably correct then other months its almost 4 times the amount. This seems so unfair! Does a tennant have any recourse? Besides moving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 01:34 PM

I would really like some input on this situation. Can anything be done about apt complexes ripping off tenants? For the past 4months the water bill has tripled. 6more months on lease. Any recourse?

Old 06-25-2013, 01:44 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
This looks relevant:

Quote:
I rent an apartment in a complex with more than 20 units. My unit does not have a water
meter. My landlord bills me for water. I think I am paying more than my fair share of the
water bill. What can I do?

Under Georgia law (O.C.G.A. §12-5-180.1) your landlord can have only one water meter
for the apartment complex and charge tenants for water usage and waste-water service, plus a
reasonable fee for establishing, servicing, and billing for the water service. The amount billed
includes water used by the tenants and water used in the complex’s common areas. The amount
the landlord collects from each tenant must not exceed the amount the landlord is charged for
water and waste-water service for the building and the common areas, plus the landlord’s fee.
From page 30: http://www.dca.state.ga.us/housing/h...t_Handbook.pdf

Old 06-25-2013, 06:37 PM

Thanks. I read that before. In the handbook it states that the landlord must state how water is calculated. I have been told several lies about how it's calculated from the readings being beamed by satellite...to basing the usage on what it was a year ago to the meter is broken. No one can tell me specifically. I can't wait til the lease is up.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:03 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
I'd try to get them to give you how they claim they are doing the math for your water bill in writing. Then contact your local water utility and try to get the info from them. If they are distorting it and lying to you, you should be able to take them to small claims court.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:38 PM

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta