Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 01:49 PM

937 posts, read 1,134,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLfromJAX View Post
Came to ATL for college at Georgia Tech. Worked in Atlanta for 3yrs then worked in San Francisco for 4yrs. Enjoyed my time in San Fran, but decided to move back to start a business with friends (and to buy a house!).

I think each city has it's pros and cons. It really depends on personal preferences. I would probably never move back to the Bay Area, all things even, including cost of living.

However, I do miss the weather (great for my sinuses) and the food. I worked South of Market) But I'm not an outdoors person. I'm really into college sports. And the commute and traffic was worst than Atlanta's, especially on the weekends when everyone is trying get into the city.

And I think it's much harder to raise a family in a nice neighborhood unless you hit the riches with a tech IPO. The social/family vibe is a lot different. So it depends on what you're comfortable with.

But working in San Fran is a great experience and good for your career. I would definitely recommend working there for a few years and see if it works for you.
Thanks, but I already have my warrior marks from my time in Manhattan. I did the daily grind for 6 years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 01:55 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
Yeppers, that's why I decided to stay put for the time being. But my friend is bound for ATL.
Just keep in mind that if you are young, unattached, and have few responsibilities, the chance might not come up again, or would be then entirely too impracticable.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:56 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Thanks, but I already have my warrior marks from my time in Manhattan. I did the daily grind for 6 years!
The West Coast is a different mindset. Different world.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:59 PM

183 posts, read 352,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Just keep in mind that if you are young, unattached, and have few responsibilities, the chance might not come up again, or would be then entirely too impracticable.

Exactly, I agree!! There is NO WAY I can move back now with family...

Old 06-05-2013, 02:00 PM

937 posts, read 1,134,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Very true, but at this stage in my life, I don't want to blow 3K on a studio apartment, or rent a two bedroom w/ a roommate. I would feel as though I was regressing, not progressing.

I travel for work related purposes to regional meetings in the Bay area. It's a beautiful place, but again, due to income restrictions (unfortunately a low six figure salary is just not enough) I can not relocate there at this time. Of course things would be drastically different, if I was married and my husband also made a six figure income.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:15 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Imagine their astonishment when they come to cheaper cities, and view the great lofts and homes for only a fraction of the cost.
I realize that its not a priority for everybody, but like you I can't help but think about how much better my income could be utilized.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:48 PM

259 posts, read 394,069 times
Quote:
When I lived in Midtown ATL, in all honesty, I felt rich. I always had excess money even after paying my bills and putting away ample money into my retirement and savings accounts.

Moving back to DC snapped me into reality. When I, along with my work colleague received the offer to relocate to our organization's San Francisco office, initially, we both jumped at the opportunity. I was very excited; it was like a dream come true --until I connected with a few colleagues in the San Francisco office and they provided the scoop. A few of them were in negotiations to transfer to the DC metro area, in the hopes of cutting their overall expenses.

I quickly decided against the relocation, but my work colleague/friend decided to transfer to ATL, because she wanted the milder winters and cheaper cost of living.

The ATL regional office has a second opening, but I don't think that I will interview for the opportunity. I've lived in ATL and it was a nice experience, but at this stage in my life, I enjoy dating different types of people, and I know that I won't have the same range in ATL, as I do in my present location.

But if I was making 250K, I would gladly jump at the opportunity to relocate to San Francisco. I just don't see that happening in the very near future.

What kind of men are you looking for that aren't in ATL?

Old 06-05-2013, 07:07 PM

268 posts, read 344,720 times
wow if you could afford the real estate in SF this is a no-brainer, outside of cheap houses the ATL is just ok .no scenery got to watch your back too much at night and a lot of miserable folks there who will not admit they made a mistake moving there lol. but nice houses cheap but after you cut grass what else is there

Old 06-05-2013, 07:11 PM

268 posts, read 344,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangejelly View Post
What kind of men are you looking for that aren't in ATL?
she may want to date other races the south is still too racial.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:39 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
but the culture and people of Norcal just can't be beat.
The culture and people of Norcal are the number one reason I plan to move out of SF and never come back again! After living in both places I definitely prefer Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: