Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 03:02 PM

15 posts, read 46,651 times

Advertisements

[quote=wilful;29903554]Also why do you need such a large home for just yourself?

quote]

I definitely don't need all the space but I feel like if I am going to be paying a certain amount then I would like to get the most that I can get for that amount and while I've looked into other areas like Gwinnett and Buford, homes that catch my eye are way outside of my budget ...

The other option would be to get a small townhome to start but interest rates and good deals may not be around for much longer?....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 03:03 PM

15 posts, read 46,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Here's an older thread on this topic: Camp Creek

I checked it out, thanks!

Old 06-06-2013, 03:04 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,402,766 times
If you haven't already, I would recommend that you call a knowledgeable real estate agent.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:22 PM

859 posts, read 2,121,380 times
Camp Creek area is pretty quite. Once you pass Camp creek Marketplace heading west, all you'll have will be miles and miles of residential areas until you get to I-20 Douglasville/Lithia Springs area (Which unfortunately, some people treat that stretch like they're on the Autobahn)Campcreek Marketplace is safe, there's an East Point police precinct within the marketplace for a little added peace of mind. The worst thing you'll have to contend with in the marketplace would be the boneheads blasting music from their cars. Don't know weekday traffic, but I would say on weekends once you jump on 285 from camp creek you're no more than 20-25min max from downtown/midtown.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:11 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,151,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prendani View Post
Those prices are double what I am paying for for 4800 sqft! I know location is very important but coming from a 200 sqft box in NYC its pretty hard not to go where I can get the most for my money.

I imagine those areas are a lot more developed and more diverse but is camp creek dangerous? I am not very concerned about schools as I won't have school aged children for another 10 years.

What do you think makes the areas you speak of much more desireable than camp creek other than schools?

Thanks!
Schools are a big factor in the price diferrential and keep in mind that in this area good school districts drive price appreciation. Know you don't have kids at this point but it should definitely factor into your decision making. For sure the areas I mentioned have and will enjoy better appreciation going forward the CC.

I wouldn't say Camp Creek is dangerous but the areas I mentioned are safer and where I would recommend my kids and their families reside if they asked me. Also, you will find better retail, and grocery options along with better restaurants and other types of amenities in general, such as medical, dental, fitness facilities,parks,etc.

You mentioned diversity and I need you to clarify what you mean before I can respond one way or the other on that subject.

I realize after living in NYC and finding what you can get here in terms of comparable housing is very impressive but keep in mind all that glitters is not gold. Obviously, it's your call and I would once again ask why not just rent for awhile, look around some, and then make what will undoubtedly be a better informed decision. I wish you the best and welcome to the ATL.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:54 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,305,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prendani View Post
Those prices are double what I am paying for for 4800 sqft! I know location is very important but coming from a 200 sqft box in NYC its pretty hard not to go where I can get the most for my money.

I imagine those areas are a lot more developed and more diverse but is camp creek dangerous? I am not very concerned about schools as I won't have school aged children for another 10 years.

What do you think makes the areas you speak of much more desireable than camp creek other than schools?

Thanks!
If you hang around the Atlanta forums long enough, you will notice a recurring trend of people being steered away from the Southwest. If everyone who had ever been steered away from the SWATs actually purchased there, it would be a far better place than it is, and it is not bad.

If you truly fell in love with a house along Enon Road I would say go for it. The deciding factor of whether or not I was going to come back to Atlanta was the salary. The ATL didn't get the money right so I did not come back. However, I was ready to purchase off of Enon Road (Wolf Creek Country Club) as well.

Too much house for you? I'm not sure why that is anybody's business. Before I left I was going to purchase the house as a single individual because I was tired of paying rent to slumlords. If you are prepared to maintain a single family home go for it. Because you are single with no kids you are actually going to have minimal wear and tear on the home if you ever decide to sell it when the market fully rebounds.

Crime is relative. I'm not sure what borough you live in but solidly middle class black neighborhoods in Queens with $600,000+ homes have far more crime and worse schools than you are going to find in the Enon Road area. I don't know Queens but my family in the boroughs lives mainly in Brooklyn (Prospect Park & Brownsville). To me Flatbush is alright; I never fear walking down Flatbush so it would be ridiculous to be concerned with any crime Camp Creek had to offer.

You don't have children but when I was moving up I checked out the schools in the area. Stonewall Tell Elementary School is actually a good school. Like every predominately black upper middle class area in the country I've seen, the problems in public school start with middle school. That is an entirely separate board topic but the good elementary school should aid the value of your home. My wife and I literally hung out when the school bus was letting the kids off to make sure they weren't Bebe's Kids and also checked out Sandtown Middle and Westlake High. Once again, not up to the standards of the "northside" but not exactly housing gangbanging miscreants. The "thug life" of the Southwest is lightweight as far as I'm concerned. The prospects of being hardcore are severely limited by living in low-density single-family homes in wooded subdivisions.

Now I lived in one old townhouse community just south of Camp Creek Parkway and east of Washington Road. I'm not sure if things have changed but the airplanes could be deafening. But this was three miles away from the airport when planes were fully on their descent. Where you are looking is ten miles out and I can't say that I noticed the noise was as bad but maybe someone else can address how loud it is now.

In sum, if you like the area like I did and you can get the financing make the investment. What makes for viable neighborhoods are people who love their community and feel connected to it. Commuting could be an issue depending on where you work but if you are working downtown, transit is an option as well (I was fortunate enough to work by the North Avenue MARTA station so I could take the bus to the College Park Station, ride the train, and walk across the street to work). It's all about seeing how comfortable you are with the people in the community and driving to the various amenities (the nearest Publix is 3 miles away) as I'm sure you know that this is an automobile-oriented side of town.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:50 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,150,252 times
The problem is that I am told that a re-zoning happened a couple of years ago and she is probably now zoned to Randolph Elementary - NOT STONEWALL TELL Elementary. Randolph is not a very good school. Stonewall Tell is.

OP, you will want to sell your house one day. If you want to be in this area, I would recommend looking at houses that are in the Stonewall Tell elementary school district - post-re-districting. You will get many more looks and offers from families that will want to buy your home than those in the neighboring communities that are districted to Randolph.

Just my two cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post

You don't have children but when I was moving up I checked out the schools in the area. Stonewall Tell Elementary School is actually a good school.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:36 AM

16,714 posts, read 29,560,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
If you want to be in this area, I would recommend looking at houses that are in the Stonewall Tell elementary school district...

*Considering the discussion on this thread, the OP should also look into the Cliftondale Elementary and Renaissance Elementary school districts. See the maps/feeder patterns above for more information.

Steelers10's post is spot on. Read it carefully.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:12 AM

7 posts, read 12,380 times
Living in Vinings, Peachtree Corners, or Brookhaven is an absolutely different feel than Camp Creek....not sure why those areas would be suggested (Smyrna has similarities). But since it was brought up, I disagree that overall quality of life and suburban feel will be better. Thats a matter of opinion and certainly depends on how you define those things....Camp Creek can hold its own in suburban feel. Also, I didn't see you ask how much house you should buy... only you can determine whats right for you and your circumstances.

Anyhoo....there is a Walmart less than 10 minutes from that neighborhood on Thorton Rd. (Camp Creek) and I-20, this will be closer than Cascade Rd.

Camp Creek is fine, but it is South of the city so you automatically will get people pushing you elsewhere.

More details sent to you via PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta