Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 11:31 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
It makes relocating to the streetcar connected neighborhood and away from a highway commute more appealing. Easy access to work is one of the main considerations and drivers of moving. But yes, I agree that tolls and existing transit improvements could yield more cost effective solutions to certain issues.
But only so many people are going to do that. My brother and his wife are not going to sell their house, pull their kids out of their school, and move in town so they can be near a streetcar line. It's primarily the young and unattached that would be willing to do that, and as hard as it may be for you to believe, many of them don't get excited about streetcars. There are other things people value above streetcars such as ease of commute, neighborhood vibe, housing costs, etc. You have to think of the Metro area as a whole instead of a niche market of urbanists who have a preference for a particular mode of transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 11:37 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But how will people riding streetcars in the city alleviate traffic on I-285, 75, 85 and 20?

Wouldn't a simpler, faster and more cost-effective solution be...

(1) tolls; and
(2) bus and existing subway improvement?
1. Tolls won't ever be implemented on non-tolled Interstate highways anytime soon except with separate managed lanes.
2. To build the network Atlanta needs to alleviate congestion would cost tens of billions of dollars (at an average of $150-200 million/mile), and buses won't do the trick alone.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:38 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,983 times
Quote:
But only so many people are going to do that. My brother and his wife are not going to sell their house, pull their kids out of their school, and move in town so they can be near a streetcar line. It's primarily the young and unattached that would be willing to do that, and as hard as it may be for you to believe, many of them don't get excited about streetcars. There are other things people value above streetcars such as ease of commute, neighborhood vibe, housing costs, etc. You have to think of the Metro area as a whole instead of a niche market of urbanists who have a preference for a particular mode of transit.
We tried that already, and guess what happened....

Old 06-12-2013, 11:49 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
It makes relocating to the streetcar connected neighborhood and away from a highway commute more appealing. Easy access to work is one of the main considerations and drivers of moving. But yes, I agree that tolls and existing transit improvements could yield more cost effective solutions to certain issues.
Boom!
Quote:
It will attract those who are new to the area or are not tied down yet. It is not a niche, it was been a proven technology in decades past. Many of the old intown neighborhoods were developed as streetcar suburbs.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:56 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Quote:
Of course not everyone is going to drop everything and move in town because they built a streetcar line. But it is all part of the larger effort that tolls and improving heavy rail and bus service are a part of to provide options to commuters.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
We tried that already, and guess what happened....
So the reverse--putting the interests of a niche market of urbanists over the millions in the metro area--is preferable?

A streetcar network is very expensive and only addresses the transit needs of a relatively small number of people. People can't park and ride a streetcar the same way they can heavy rail or light rail. The streetcar is performing the same exact function of the bus, and as you can see, nobody is driving into cities to park and board buses serving local routes.

Tolls, on the other hand, can have an appreciable impact on nearly all Metro area commuters. And they do a lot more in terms of reducing emissions than transit would. And they obviously generate much needed revenue for jurisdictions.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:08 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Quote:
But how will people riding streetcars in the city alleviate traffic on I-285, 75, 85 and 20?

It's called last-mile connectivity. They aren't going to jump on a train to downtown, if they can't move around downtown.
Quote:
Wouldn't a simpler, faster and more cost-effective solution be...

(1) tolls; and
(2) bus and existing subway improvement?
You have been against extending MARTA rail in any way before. Why are you suddenly for "existing subway improvement?"

Old 06-12-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
It will attract those who are new to the area or are not tied down yet. It is not a niche, it was been a proven technology in decades past. Many of the old intown neighborhoods were developed as streetcar suburbs.
It is niche. Most people are not urbanists and many urbanists do not fawn over streetcars the way you do. I, for example, enjoy living in cities but have no preference whatsoever between a bus and a streetcar. I'm only interested in what gets me where I need to go the fastest and at the lowest possible cost.

And the past has nothing to do with 2013. Building out an entire streetcar network is pointless since it's not providing any new connections. The connections already exist; in most cases, they're served by just buses. And it's ridiculously expensive. It's basically "status" transit the same way a Mercedes Benz is status transit. The only difference is that the overwhelming majority of people care much more about the status associated with their personal vehicle than they do the public transit they are riding.

Too much emphasis is placed, imo, on the mode of transit and not the quality of the system as a whole. Some people think that the mode necessarily enhances the quality of the system, but I don't think that's true. There are certainly some people who would not ride a bus because they think it's low class or whatever, but many people simply won't ride a bus because it doesn't do what they need it to do. If transit agencies simplified bus maps, reduced the number of stops, built improved, covered stops and other infrastructure, and increased the frequency of buses, then more people would start riding them.

They could do all of that without really spending that much money. Would it be as cool as having a streetcar? Probably not. But you'd be much closer to having a world-class transportation system.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:20 PM

280 posts, read 389,767 times
Quote:
So the reverse--putting the interests of a niche market of urbanists over the millions in the metro area--is preferable?

A streetcar network is very expensive and only addresses the transit needs of a relatively small number of people. People can't park and ride a streetcar the same way they can heavy rail or light rail. The streetcar is performing the same exact function of the bus, and as you can see, nobody is driving into cities to park and board buses serving local routes.

Tolls, on the other hand, can have an appreciable impact on nearly all Metro area commuters. And they do a lot more in terms of reducing emissions than transit would. And they obviously generate much needed revenue for jurisdictions.
Because we live in an urban area, we are suddenly a "niche market" and not full citizens like the rest of the state? Despite being one of the major hubs of economic development with > 5% job growth over the last 2 years, we are not worthy of investment by the people who spend our state tax money? And somehow you believe that we should not even allowed to spend our money building something we want? The TSPLOST passed inside the city limits! Remember, the streetcar currently is being funded by City of Atlanta funds, matching federal funds and by the Beltline TAD. No state money, no suburban money. People do ride heavy rail into cities and take light rail/street car networks to their final destination and people who live in the areas served by the light rail/street car network car reach the heavy rail. It feed out existing network and leverages the existing investment.

I have nothing against tolls except they slow you down. Raising the gas tax seems more efficient to me, but if voters want tolls I will support them..

Old 06-12-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
It's called last-mile connectivity. They aren't going to jump on a train to downtown, if they can't move around downtown.
You missed my point. If my brother is commuting from Stone Mountain to Alpharetta, how are a few streetcar lines improving his commute? There are a lot of people in Metro Atlanta that have commutes just like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
You have been against extending MARTA rail in any way before. Why are you suddenly for "existing subway improvement?"
Because MARTA rail is already there. And it's had all types of service and funding issues in the past. As a practical matter, the priority, imo, should be on improving what you already have rather than rushing off to build more transit that will also be underfunded and underutilized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta