Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 07:06 PM

554 posts, read 977,322 times

Advertisements

I wonder if there are any fair housing laws that prohibit discrimination against the military. If not, there should be. If so, I hope the girl pursues it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 07:14 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
It is pretty much guaranteed the renter won't lose their job. Also, if there is any rent payment issues, write her Commanding Officer a note and you'll get paid. Military renters are my favorite for my rental property. The risk of a possible deployment is worth it IMO.

I'm former navy. Feel free to PM and I can give you a better idea if there is a chance she'll deploy.

Side note: what is with PMs charging a renters finder fee here in Atlanta? My PM in Virginia doesn't charge that and only gets 10% of rent. That is pretty much standard there.
Ok, let me start by saying, for the sake of the service member keep their command especially their commanding officer out of these types of matters. Most service members are good at paying their bills and yes financial downfalls happen to military as well but you will add even more stress by going to their commanding officer. Get an immediate supervisor's contact information such as a petty officer for the navy, sergeant for the army or SNCO for the marines, in case anything happens, but please keep it at a low level for the sake of stress on that individual.

In terms of going forward, talk to them. If they still need to maintain your property for family or what not, they can always set up what is called an allotment in which the funds will be subtracted from their pay, they will never see the money and it takes the headaches out of paying bills while forward which can be hard due to the lack of a secure internet connection and phones. Again talk to the individual and have them set it up via their unit S-1, it takes like 2 minutes to do and the funds will be in your account.

If I was not clear, the Commanding Officer should be the last resort for any issues.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:30 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,024 times
She has no interest in setting anything up to pay anything. No one else in her household works and they are all poised to move with her wherever she goes. She is not willing to even show me any part of her orders to even give me a clue as to how permanent she will be or for how long. Then we found out a few other things about other debts, etc. so it's not worth going into anymore but from this conversation I have learned that waiver is not technically possible, that she cannot in essence contract away her rights provided by law in this regard (although other members of the military have told me that they have done so). Good to know. Thanks for all of the advice everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Ok, let me start by saying, for the sake of the service member keep their command especially their commanding officer out of these types of matters. Most service members are good at paying their bills and yes financial downfalls happen to military as well but you will add even more stress by going to their commanding officer. Get an immediate supervisor's contact information such as a petty officer for the navy, sergeant for the army or SNCO for the marines, in case anything happens, but please keep it at a low level for the sake of stress on that individual.

In terms of going forward, talk to them. If they still need to maintain your property for family or what not, they can always set up what is called an allotment in which the funds will be subtracted from their pay, they will never see the money and it takes the headaches out of paying bills while forward which can be hard due to the lack of a secure internet connection and phones. Again talk to the individual and have them set it up via their unit S-1, it takes like 2 minutes to do and the funds will be in your account.

If I was not clear, the Commanding Officer should be the last resort for any issues.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:38 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
She has no interest in setting anything up to pay anything. No one else in her household works and they are all poised to move with her wherever she goes. She is not willing to even show me any part of her orders to even give me a clue as to how permanent she will be or for how long. Then we found out a few other things about other debts, etc. so it's not worth going into anymore but from this conversation I have learned that waiver is not technically possible, that she cannot in essence contract away her rights provided by law in this regard (although other members of the military have told me that they have done so). Good to know. Thanks for all of the advice everyone.
This is just bad business, I should have read deeper into the conversation first, my apologies. I personally would not deal with anyone claiming to be military who refuses to disclose their intent. All service members should disclose their orders to any landlord in case they have to break a lease due to things such as deployments. This person is trying to play you for a fool and they know it.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:41 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,024 times
There were numerous other "issues" that revealed themselves as we delved deeper so it's not an issue anymore in any case. She did not meet the requirements (we later found out). However, be clear that the issue was not status as service person, issue was getting paid. The government should really finish off that act and say that they will step in and finish off the lease or at least give a few months rent to allow the homeowner to continue on until someone else is found. Having an act that just says the service person can get out of the lease immediately if deployed or even simply transferred to another station in another state is half-baked. The rest of the meat that needs to be in the Act seems to be missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
I understand that as a landlord, you do not want to risk having your property vacant for a few months.
But, it doesn't seem right that you don't want to rent to someone just because they may get orders to leave to fight for his/her/our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: