Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2013, 05:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,218 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Planning to move in August to Georgia with my husband and my 2 younger kids which are in middle school. I'm
Interested in the Milton, Alpharetta,Duluth area, would also consider Covington area. Need some advice or feed back on these areas, also when I move I don't have a job lined up and that scares me. I have been looking at the classified adds and craigslist and find that their are plenty of job opening in the medical field for medical assistants.

We don't have any family in Atlanta all of my family is in Miami, but cost of living is getting very expensive here and the people are rude!!!

My budget for a rental property is from $800-1000.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 07:06 AM

24 posts, read 61,014 times
We're planning to move there by the end of summer from Orlando actually, to Alpharetta. We were just there last few days checking out the area and houses/apartments. It's actually very nice. It reminds me of Winderemere (in Orlando), but with even more trees. Feel free to message me privately. We can always use some new friends in a new area.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:32 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,302,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcermeno71 View Post
Hello everyone,

Planning to move in August to Georgia with my husband and my 2 younger kids which are in middle school. I'm
Interested in the Milton, Alpharetta,Duluth area, would also consider Covington area. Need some advice or feed back on these areas, also when I move I don't have a job lined up and that scares me. I have been looking at the classified adds and craigslist and find that their are plenty of job opening in the medical field for medical assistants.

We don't have any family in Atlanta all of my family is in Miami, but cost of living is getting very expensive here and the people are rude!!!

Thanks
As I am sure most will tell you, it should scare you not have a job lined up. I am assuming your husband will be working and that's why you are moving, but not having a job is not having a job, thus you will be relying on his income. There is no guarantee you will get a job, you just have to interview better and have better qualifications for others competing for the same job.

In terms of a rental property, you haven't said SFH or apartment. With your budget it is doable, but someone else I'm sure will speak to the quality of the apartments you would be renting in those if areas. Chances are with your budget if you want a quality apartment in Alpharetta or Duluth you are going to be pushing your budget for a two bedroom. Milton is probably a non-starter. But why Covington? That is a pretty wide geographic range. Where is your husband going to be working? That will play a major role in where you should decide to rent.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:34 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,478,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcermeno71 View Post
Hello everyone,

Thanks
...That is really good advice from Steelers10.

Each of the cities that you named are good areas, though with Milton and Alpharetta literally being right next door to each other in North Fulton County in the Georgia Highway 400 North corridor of North Metro suburban Atlanta and Duluth not being much farther away east of Georgia Highway 141 and the Chattahoochee and mostly (but not completely) west of I-85 in Gwinnett County in North Metro suburban Atlanta, Covington with its location relatively far to the east/southeast out the I-20 East corridor in Newton County in East Metro suburban Atlanta is a geographic outlier.

As Steelers10 stated, both you and your husband should most likely try to have a job lined up first before moving to Metro Atlanta if possible, then you should try coordinating your search according to where your jobs will be.

That's because, for example, you don't want to be renting in the Covington area of East Metro Atlanta and have to commute 50-60 miles each way back-and-forth through what can sometimes be very severe traffic congestion to a job in on the Northside.

Also, with Atlanta and North Georgia slowly coming out of a severe economic downturn just like South Florida, you don't want to move up here and not be able to quickly find a job in a slowly-recovering job market while living on a budget.

So try and line up a job first and then comeback after you have a job lined up and ask about what kind of quality living arrangements you can find near or relatively close to your job in Metro Atlanta.

But most importantly, GET THE JOB FIRST BEFORE YOU MOVE, if at all possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta