Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 11:07 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,963,782 times

Advertisements

I'm sure AnsleyPark will back me up on this....

I'm not sure what people are talking about when they say there are no good restaurants in the suburbs. Maybe they are talking about Cobb or something like that, but if you live in North Fulton, or the parts of Forsyth and Gwinnett around St. Marlo, there are tons of great restaurant options.

And it's much less of a hassle, you don't need to valet, and often you don't even need reservations!

I'm not going to say that there is EVERYTHING that intown has. But guess what? That's why you get a babysitter on Saturday nights and hop in the car and head into town to go to that restaurant you miss, or new one you want to try. Because you live in the suburbs certainly doesn't have to mean that you never go into town to do anything anymore.

I remember even living intown, lots of people still ventured to Chamblee to try the ethnic cuisine on Buford Highway. Well, Duluth and Suwanee have ethnic restaurants that are comparable to those. There are also lots of great local eateries. I'd rather go to Provino's (in fact, even living in Buckhead I would sometimes drive to Duluth to eat there!) or Luciano's than Brio or Veni Vidi Vici. There's a Cheesecake Factory at North Point in Alpharetta. Down the street from me is a cajun restaurant where the owner drives to Louisiana once a week and brings back live crawfish and other seafood (it's MUCH better than the Crawfish Shack!). Park Cafe in downtown Duluth has an amazing chef and makes creative meals. We have a Marlow's Tavern. Mojito's in Norcross has as good Cuban food as anywhere (the cook is literally a little old Cuban lady who doesn't speak English). The list goes on and on.

Oh, and in some ways, the dining options are even better in the suburbs. The whole time I lived in Buckhead, I could never find decent Chinese. Most people just went to Chin Chin, and that place sucks. Out here, the Chinese and Thai options are endless, from the totally basic Americanized menus to menus that aren't even in English. I prefer middle ground, I like the regular American items I'm used to, like Mongolian beef, chicken and cashews, etc., but cooked in a more flavorful and authentic way. We have tons of that!

The biggest thing you have to get over is a lot of these places don't LOOK like they would be authentic. For example, Luciano's is about as good Italian as I've ever had....but it's in a shopping center near a Kroger. Thai Diner makes a coconut soup that is incredible and I love the curry dishes....but it's in Sugarloaf Mills and it looks like it's a national chain (it's not). That's why I laugh at the notion that the best food has to come from hole in the wall secret places. Yeah, those places exist, but there's no rule that says kitchens in strip malls near Krogers aren't allowed to cook wonderful dishes. Take a step into Luciano's and I guarantee that you will think you've been transported to Buckhead or midtown. They do the interiors the same.

Sure, every once in a while I feel like I want Atkins Park or Top Spice or Two Urban Licks. But those are places to go once in a while. If you do decide to come to North Fulton, don't buy into the hype. You're going to have a ton more to choose from than Applebees and Ruby Tuesday! In fact, I've lived in the suburbs for over 3 years now and haven't been to a single Applebees.

It's not like you'd be moving to the moon. You can still go intown for the things you like. Now, if you like to go out to the VaHi restaurants every night of the week, then maybe staying there is right for you.

I guess it's all about how you live your life and what you do, but I don't feel isolated from the city at all. The biggest downside is when you first move out, a lot of your friends will gripe and won't want to come "all the way out there" to see you. That happened to us when we first moved. But since then, most of our friends have had kids and have moved out of the city too. The ones who bought one bedroom condos in the city are waiting for the market to get better so they can sell. Even the ones without kids are jealous of houses and sick of living in shoeboxes in the sky. That's why I always advise people that buying a 1 bedroom condo is always a bad idea. Regardless of whether you get married or have kids, you will almost definitely outgrow it. That's not my personal opinion, it's just what I have watched happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 12:38 PM

259 posts, read 392,279 times
These posts make wonder what people in NYC do once they get older. Some people just like a ton of space for a bunch if junk and others value convenience and not depending on the car.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:44 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,665,272 times
AnsleyPark, time to update your location and say hi to your new neighbor, livinginbuffalo

Old 06-16-2013, 02:18 PM

616 posts, read 1,107,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangejelly View Post
These posts make wonder what people in NYC do once they get older. Some people just like a ton of space for a bunch if junk and others value convenience and not depending on the car.
Troll post.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:30 PM

418 posts, read 902,682 times
ATJTLJ, you sure you're not a realtor because you've got me almost sold. For us its likely a matter of when. We are committed to one more year of private school so this gives us time to look. I'd like to live on a golf community like Ansley in St Marlo,or St Ives. That sounds like our sort of thing right now given our kids' interest. Buffalo and Ansley, is there a strong community sense or do people just keep to themselves? We'd love to find great neighbors and kids so that our guys have neighborhood kids to play and grow up with

Old 06-16-2013, 04:56 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,963,782 times
I should be a realtor! I love real estate and it sure wouldn't be too difficult to do a better job than most agents.

I'd probably feel a LITTLE more comfortable in St. Ives just because it's districted for Northview and is in Fulton county. Not to say anything bad about St. Marlo, it's an awesome area, too. It would probably just come down to personal taste. St. Ives is a little too "old" and gothic looking for me.

But what I really want to know is....if you're young enough to have kids in school, work from home, and can afford to pay cash for a St. Marlo house, what in the world do you do and how can I do it too?

Last edited by ATLTJL; 06-16-2013 at 05:35 PM..

Old 06-16-2013, 06:08 PM

924 posts, read 1,447,982 times
Not sure if it interests you at all or not but I would suggest looking at parts of Cobb County if you are having to go to the airport a lot. Having the chance to take 285 west or the connector to the airport can sometimes save you a ton of time on a Monday morning.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:28 PM

16,626 posts, read 29,284,217 times
This has been a good thread.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:31 PM

528 posts, read 1,276,963 times
Wow! I really like this thread! I don't live in St. Marlo but right down Old Atlanta in Laurel Springs. Both hoods are great. We looked at both but wanted a private golf club that we could get on when we wanted to. St. Marlo is public and residents have no special privileges so that turned us off but if you aren't a golfer, you might not care about that. Both elementary schools are great (Sharon for LS and Johns Creek for St. Marlo) and both feed into Riverwatch Middle and Lambert High.

I can only speak for Laurel Springs as far as community. Tons of kids, very tight community and very friendly. Neighborhood swim team in the summer and tennis all year long. About half of people are transplants and half are native Atlantans. If you narrow it down to one community or the other, I would STRONGLY recommend getting an agent who lives in the neighborhood you want to buy in. The agents that live in my neighborhood know of homes going on the market before they hit the market and many have been selling lately without ever hitting the MLS. Home prices are on the rise in my neighborhood which is good news for us. Only 11 homes currently on the market out of 750 homes. I can't tell you how much we love it here. If you want any realtor referrals or any other info, feel free to PM me.

Also, wanted to add that we have never eaten at Applebee's since we have been here (almost two years) and there are so many restaurants that are local owned. I never get why people ITP think we are all chains!

PS We also looked at St. Marlo, St. Ives, Windward, Sugarloaf. We looked at every golf course community near Duluth and chose Laurel Springs. Hubby liked St. Ives but we visited the elementary school and were turned off. I have spoken to graduates of Northview who intern for my husband at work that attest that if you aren't in the top percent of your class, you don't get as much attention. I didn't want to have my kids be left behind. They are smart but not in the top echelon of their classes. That turned me off to Northview but my kids only elementary at this point and when we visited Wilson Elementary (St. Ives elementary school) that scared me as well. After we left there, we went to visit Sharon and it just felt like home. I highly recommend you visit the schools when deciding where to land.

Last edited by livinginbuffalo; 06-16-2013 at 07:43 PM..

Old 06-16-2013, 09:02 PM

418 posts, read 902,682 times
ATLTLJ and Buffalo, my internet is down but will want to continue this thread for more input. You guys have been great and a huge thanks for the input.

It's great to have choices in our metro
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta