Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2019, 09:41 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Delta applies for Atlanta to Tokyo Haneda Airport. I expect the current Atlanta to Tokyo Narita to end once approved.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/airport/del...1LVHsT9PSWMaI/
I really wish Atlanta had more direct flights from international carriers instead of just Delta everywhere. Delta's new DeltaOne is great, but it's still nothing compared to other big international carriers. I'd love to be able to fly direct to Tokyo via JAL or ANA. I just hate that Delta has such a monopoly on this airport that they are the default choice for almost every nonstop, and the lack of competition allows them to keep prices high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 10:13 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,034,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
I really wish Atlanta had more direct flights from international carriers instead of just Delta everywhere. Delta's new DeltaOne is great, but it's still nothing compared to other big international carriers. I'd love to be able to fly direct to Tokyo via JAL or ANA. I just hate that Delta has such a monopoly on this airport that they are the default choice for almost every nonstop, and the lack of competition allows them to keep prices high.
Turkish Airlines seems to be an exception. It has a flight between ATL and IST, which Delta does not. Yeah, I'd like to see JAL return to ATL as well. Meanwhile DFW has one American Airlines AND one JAL flight to Tokyo Narita, and DFW's Japanese population is not much higher, nor is the demand to fly between those two cities higher than Atlanta. I know JAL and AA are codeshare partners, just like Delta and Korean. There are multiple flights between Atlanta and Seoul-Incheon.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:20 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Atlanta had more international airlines in the 1990’s-2000: Sabena, British Calendoian, Japan Airlines, SwissAir, South African, Varig- some went out of business, and other shifted flights to their alliances hub. I hope Delta brings back Tel Aviv flight.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:51 PM

3,708 posts, read 5,982,315 times
Big news: TAP Portugal is planning to fly to ATL nonstop next year!

https://onemileatatime.com/tap-air-p...inations-2020/

Old 03-18-2019, 07:22 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post

That author of the article has doubts about the Atlanta route...

Old 03-18-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:

OMG! That is huge. What is Emirates waiting on? The article throwing alot of shade on Atlanta though. If Qatar, Turkish, British Airways, and Lufthansa are successful without Skyteam - I expect the same from TAP.

Last edited by Atlwarrior; 03-18-2019 at 08:07 PM..

Old 03-18-2019, 09:06 PM

16 posts, read 35,883 times
Quote:

TAP has a good relationship with jetBlue, which will give it some feed at ATL. Can't wait.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:34 PM

Virgin Atlantic adds A340-600 Atlanta service in 2Q19

Virgin Atlantic during the month of April 2019 is adjusting operational aircraft for London Heathrow – Atlanta route, as the airline scheduled Airbus A340-600 operation, replacing A330-300 (except 16APR19).

VS103 LHR1010 – 1440ATL 346 D
VS104 ATL2000 – 0920+1LHR 346 D

Old 03-29-2019, 01:24 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
If Qatar, Turkish, British Airways, and Lufthansa are successful without Skyteam - I expect the same from TAP.
I'm afraid I share the author's skepticism.

Focusing on fliers traveling in and out of the the Atlanta market, not connecting...

Qatar & Turkish have excellent connections options for the Atlanta passenger to multiple destinations in the middle east and India, which are not as well-served by Skyteam and leaves them open to the competition.

British Airways is Atlanta's O&D #2 international destination.

Frankfurt is actually a top 10 international destination (final destination not connection point) for Atlanta's O&D market and Munich is in the top 20.

Lisbon doesn't even crack the top 100. For the Lisbon-ATL to work, it has to depend heavily on connections.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I'm afraid I share the author's skepticism.

Focusing on fliers traveling in and out of the the Atlanta market, not connecting...

Qatar & Turkish have excellent connections options for the Atlanta passenger to multiple destinations in the middle east and India, which are not as well-served by Skyteam and leaves them open to the competition.

British Airways is Atlanta's O&D #2 international destination.

Frankfurt is actually a top 10 international destination (final destination not connection point) for Atlanta's O&D market and Munich is in the top 20.

Lisbon doesn't even crack the top 100. For the Lisbon-ATL to work, it has to depend heavily on connections.
I really like TAP Israel and African cities connections through Lisbon. I would definitely use the flight to connect to Israel and I’m sure others would as well. I wonder what’s in store especially after the WOW airlines collapse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta