Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 04:31 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Ok, fine. Make sure you have your passport ready next time you take your kids down to Disney World in that case and prepare for a 1 hour customs inspection at the state line. What's the point of a country, if it's cut up into completely independent pieces?
Good lord. Pick up a history book and learn about your own country.

I am anti-whatever system educated this guy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 10:45 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Exactly. We need to make sure that there is flexibility of different students to learn different things. For example, Massachusetts may force it's students to believe that 2 + 2 = 4. But Georgia students should have the right to think critically, because 2 + 2 = 4 is a theory, not a fact.

Give me a break. Nothing good has ever come from letting individual school boards set policies. NOTHING.
I would rather deal with stupid localities that are relatively easy to reform than the current and GROWING monster that is the federal government. It is downright foolish to continue handing freedoms over to the feds. They are quite literally out of control and it will only get worse. They do not follow the rules set for them, they just do what they want. The checks and balances are appearing to just be window dressing.

We should have cut off handing power over to the feds a long time ago. What is your breaking point toll? If it's not now, then when?

I know I will fight the expansion of federal power at every chance. If it takes some inefficiencies in education, SO BE IT. At the local level, at least the local populace can effect change without massive amounts of money and time.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:38 AM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Good lord. Pick up a history book and learn about your own country.
What is that supposed to mean???? The poster I was responding to seems to think that states should be entirely separate entities like countries, which means customs inspections at the borders.
Quote:
I am anti-whatever system educated this guy
Glad you finally admit you're anti-real world.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
What is that supposed to mean???? The poster I was responding to seems to think that states should be entirely separate entities like countries, which means customs inspections at the borders.
At what point did I say I want states to be completely separate countries? I think you just inserted that into what you understood me to say.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:35 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I would rather deal with stupid localities that are relatively easy to reform than the current and GROWING monster that is the federal government. It is downright foolish to continue handing freedoms over to the feds. They are quite literally out of control and it will only get worse. They do not follow the rules set for them, they just do what they want. The checks and balances are appearing to just be window dressing.

We should have cut off handing power over to the feds a long time ago. What is your breaking point toll? If it's not now, then when?

I know I will fight the expansion of federal power at every chance. If it takes some inefficiencies in education, SO BE IT. At the local level, at least the local populace can effect change without massive amounts of money and time.
The American people had a chance to accept these kinds of beliefs, and they rejected them. The silent majority's message was clear.

Your highlighted sentence is simply absurd. To commit to ideology over practicality never results in anything good. Especially when children's futures are on the line.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:59 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Quote:
At what point did I say I want states to be completely separate countries? I think you just inserted that into what you understood me to say.
Quote:
We really are not supposed to be. What's the point of states if they all have the same laws and standards?
Right there ^
If we're not unified, then we're separate, like countries. What do you want? Unified, or separate states, pick one.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
The American people had a chance to accept these kinds of beliefs, and they rejected them. The silent majority's message was clear.

Your highlighted sentence is simply absurd. To commit to ideology over practicality never results in anything good. Especially when children's futures are on the line.
Absurd? I am the absurd one? Do you watch the news? Is this not a big deal to you? Do you expect things to get better? You can't deal with fixing things on a local level, so you will continue to feed the beast.

Giving more power to an already powerful entity that has showed complete willingness to abuse that power, that is screwing our kids over.

Our parents did what you are promoting, and they put us in this position. They were dead wrong and we are just now beginning to comprehend the consequences. I'm not going to be a jerk and follow in their footsteps. You keep doing it under the guise of helping, but man are you making a terrible problem even worse.

Quote:
Right there ^
If we're not unified, then we're separate, like countries. What do you want? Unified, or separate states, pick one.
I want what we are supposed to have, a UNION of STATES. You can have, and are supposed to have, differences in laws between states. Along with a union between the states based on very general, but important laws. It is a good thing to have differences between states.

Last edited by tikigod311; 06-27-2013 at 06:39 AM..

Old 06-27-2013, 06:43 AM

31 posts, read 40,217 times
I don't know if I should actually ask people to attend to the standards they are discussing, but you can find them here:

Common Core State Standards Initiative | Home

Of course, the political debate--such as it is--has almost nothing to do with the standards themselves.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:46 AM

550 posts, read 989,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl parent View Post
I don't know if I should actually ask people to attend to the standards they are discussing, but you can find them here:

Of course, the political debate--such as it is--has almost nothing to do with the standards themselves.
Yes, thank you.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:04 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl parent View Post

Thanks. You can have common standards without common administration. In fact, it seems to me the most successful initiatives have set common standards and then allowed states/localities to innovate and develop their own unique strategies to meet them, even competing against each other for resources where appropriate.

But, you know, FREEEEEEEEEEEDOM!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta