Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 08:41 AM

38 posts, read 48,363 times

Advertisements

So are the schools following the Common Core Standards or have some opted out already ?
I know where I'm from (NY) there is a lot of debate about not participating in the program, mostly concerned parents opposing it, but the school system itself is pro-Common core for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 03:11 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,136,874 times
Quote:
We really are not supposed to be. What's the point of states if they all have the same laws and standards?
Even with common core, there thousands of local laws.

States are fine.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:34 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,143,261 times
Some of these posts are hilarious. Seriously. Thank you Altech for my afternoon laugh
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
We desperately need more federal standards in education since the GOP have proven they have a serious aversion to facts and basic tenets of reality in the last few years.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:45 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,143,261 times
The reality is, no matter whether it is called Common Core or whatever the individual state calls its standards, all of it straps the teachers to varying degrees of teaching to the test and prevents teachers from having true flexibility to address the needs/interests of the children in the class from year to year. All that being said, some ppl will instinctively just argue against amything promulgated by the fed govt as overreaching. I thought we ended this back and forth states vs fed rights thing with the Civil War. How did that end? I would say the states had to be spanked into understandi g that they are part of this country and they will adhere to the federal govt. If they don't want to, they are free to leave the country. Ppl. States are not stronger or on equal footing with the federal govt. I really hate to break it to you. It's just reality. And if you canfind a country in this world in which a state/province/region has the true ability and power to tell the leadership for the whole country what they will and won't do, go there. I do not think you will find too many places like this in the world although you could start by googling "coups," "terrorist groups" and the like. Sorry to be tge bearer of bad news.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:17 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,448 times
Setting the record straight: Sorting Through Some Common Core Debate Myths, with WABE's Martha Dalton | WABE 90.1 FM

Old 02-08-2014, 05:47 AM

550 posts, read 988,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl parent View Post
i don't know if i should actually ask people to attend to the standards they are discussing, but you can find them here:

common core state standards initiative | home

of course, the political debate--such as it is--has almost nothing to do with the standards themselves.
exactly.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:21 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,027,676 times
Common Core is awful...it severely limits creativity and has a very narrow scope. I agree that it would be nice to have a national curriculum, but this one is not it.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:09 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,884,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
The Marietta Daily Journal - State GOP group adopts anti Common Core resolution

If someone could come up with a sensible argument for this opposition, I'm all ears. Because I didn't find one in there.
Well, math, just for starters.

Another Common Core ‘math’ problem that ‘makes no sense whatsoever’ | Twitchy

Old 03-07-2014, 06:12 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,884,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Right there ^
If we're not unified, then we're separate, like countries. What do you want? Unified, or separate states, pick one.
That's a false choice and ignores the concept of FEDERALISM, the FOUNDATION of our country.

Before there was a federal government there were STATES. The federal government is only granted VERY LIMITED powers.

Why have they stopped teaching civics and history in the schools, resulting in a lack of awareness about this? Because Liberals want a behemoth central government country.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:47 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,374,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
That's a false choice and ignores the concept of FEDERALISM, the FOUNDATION of our country.

Before there was a federal government there were STATES. The federal government is only granted VERY LIMITED powers.

Why have they stopped teaching civics and history in the schools, resulting in a lack of awareness about this? Because Liberals want a behemoth central government country.
Ahm, there were COLONIES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta