Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 3,806 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are looking for a place to rent around the Duluth and Alpharetta area that allows "aggressive breeds." I have a pitbull and a boxer that are coming along with me as roommates. We are flexiable with the area and would like to have an apartment or a townhome. I have searched the forums and on google, but no luck so far.

Note: I also have a miniture yorkie, which is staying with my mom, she is more "aggressive" then my blue nose pit. She is the queen on the house. Funny how people get the wrong impression on these magnificiant breed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 09:55 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,829,292 times
Good luck finding an apartment complex that will allow them. Insurance issues have probably made that a near impossibility for many. You might have the best luck with smaller, independently owned buildings.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:39 AM

651 posts, read 1,562,063 times
^ same.... or better luck with a single family home.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:17 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,382,917 times
I think you will have better luck if you look into a single family home that being rented by the actual owner and not a management company. It will also help if you carry your own liability insurance. Maybe not so much because of the breed, but some may have a problem with you have two fairly large dogs (plus the small one).

Old 06-26-2013, 12:21 PM

141 posts, read 299,346 times
Sorry you're having a rough time finding a place for your family. Unfortunately it's not too surprising. Most of the larger complexes will have sweeping breed discrimination policies that will prohibit your pup. As others have recommended, I would try finding individual landlords that will be willing to work with you. They're out there, it's just a matter of finding them. You could try contacting landlords of places you're interested in through sites like Craigslist. Be sure tell the landlord about any training, certifications (good citizen, therapy dog, etc.), and referrals (previous landlords, trainer, vet) that you might have for your dog (actually do this for all your dogs!). The landlord may say that they don't pits but that it's an insurance issue. Keep in mind that Statefarm and Amica insurance do not discriminate against pit bulls. All in all, educate yourself the best you can and be prepared to educate potential landlords as well.

You may also want to contact some local pit bull rescue and advocacy groups to see if they have referrals for apartments or landlords that allow your dog. Here are some possibilities:
- Atlanta Underdog Initiative
- Shelter Angels Pit Bull Rescue
- Atlanta Pit Bull Parents

Good luck!

Old 06-26-2013, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,806 times
Thank you all for your responses. I will try to look around on Craigslist and ask around to see if there is anything available.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:10 AM

10 posts, read 14,455 times
I'm a landlord and honestly, I wouldn't rent my home to you. Three dogs is a lot and I have insurance issues too with pitbulls. Your pit may indeed be the sweetest most loveable cuddle buddy in the world, but insurance companies have decided they are too risky. I'd be concerned about yard damage and accidents in the house with three dogs. (I'm a multiple dog owner and my yard shows it).

But that said, you may find someone else who loves pits and will rent to you. Best of luck to you.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:24 AM

246 posts, read 374,320 times
I would also be sure to be up front with your dogs breeds when seeking a place, much like you are being up front here. The last thing you want is to vaguely tell someone you have three dogs, let them think they are poodles & labs, and then a couple months in they find out they are a pit & boxer & have them evict you.

And to echo what danachit said, you may think that your dogs are the friendliest ever, but isn't that what we always hear on the news when they interview someone after a pit attacks someone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta