Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 01:12 AM

8 posts, read 25,824 times

Advertisements

I've been living in Duluth/Johns Creek/Alpharetta area in the past 15 years under my parent's hood but I am thinking about purchasing a brand new townhome near the Lindbergh Center MArta area - specifically, Fountainhead LN for about $315k (2300 sqft, 3 bed, 2 door garage)

https://maps.google.com/maps?safe=of...en&sa=N&tab=wl

but..I was wondering if that area is safe? How about walking to MARTA? I work at midtown (around 3rd street) and if I do get the house, I will be walking to the station and get off at North Ave..from at 12 noon and - 11pm at night...is this not safe for the area at all?

p.s. do you think that area will develop in the next few years? Dropping 320k for a townhome is a stretch for me but I think it is kind of fair for that area, but I think I am wrong? Thx for the advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 06:17 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Safety wise, you should be fine.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:26 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Its a safe area.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:55 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,459 times
You probably won't be killed, but I'd hardly call it safe. I don't know what your tolerance for risk is... I guess you always have statistics working in your favor, because even in the worst neighborhoods the crime rate is less than 50%... still, I'd certainly never live there myself, and I definitely wouldn't invest in any property. Look at some apartment reviews and you'll see all kinds of stories about drugs, prostitution, rapes, kidnappings, rampant burglaries, etc. It's quite shocking.

It's always had a notorious reputation and I doubt it's grown out of it. For a neighborhood which isn't terribly dense or attractive to visitors, it certainly has quite a few crimes... in fact it has roughly as many robberies as the area south of Five Points. Don't believe me? Look at some crime maps.

Funny, this reminded me that the last time I passed through Lindbergh I saw the police body slamming someone on the sidewalk. I wasn't surprised.

EDIT: Just to expand on the investment part a little... I wouldn't take that risk, honestly. It's possible the neighborhood will turn around, but I'd be afraid it's just as likely--if not more likely--that it's going to continue to deteriorate. It's kind of off by itself and not near anything desirable other than MARTA. Midtown and Lenox are both extremely bullish with development right now, but the only recent activity I know of in Lindbergh is a failed attempt at building a suburban Walmart.

Maybe you should look at Atlantic Station... it's also somewhat risky given its history with oversaturation, but the homes are very cheap right now, and with the dramatic upward swing that neighborhood has been taking lately I'd think it's much more likely to be a good investment in the long term. If the transit hub ends up being built there, I'd imagine values will soar.

Disclaimer: I know absolutely nothing about real estate, so don't listen to me about that

Last edited by erick295; 06-27-2013 at 09:10 PM..

Old 06-27-2013, 09:02 PM

924 posts, read 1,456,274 times
Personally I think the area around the Lindbergh station is safer than the area around the North Ave. station.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:08 PM

8 posts, read 25,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
You probably won't be killed, but I'd hardly call it safe. I don't know what your tolerance for risk is... I guess you always have statistics working in your favor, because even in the worst neighborhoods the crime rate is less than 50%... still, I'd certainly never live there myself, and I definitely wouldn't invest in any property. Look at some apartment reviews and you'll see all kinds of stories about drugs, prostitution, rapes, kidnappings, rampant burglaries, etc. It's quite shocking.

It's always had a notorious reputation and I doubt it's grown out of it. For a neighborhood which isn't terribly dense or attractive to visitors, it certainly has quite a few crimes... in fact it has roughly as many robberies as the area south of Five Points. Don't believe me? Look at some crime maps.

Funny, this reminded me that the last time I passed through Lindbergh I saw the police body slamming someone on the sidewalk. I wasn't surprised.

Thanks for the input. It makes me to have 2nd thoughts on getting this new townhome in the area for 320k+. I'm gonna look up the reviews of apartments in the area in a little bit. I am just surprised how cheap the new townhomes are in that area comparing to some of the newer townhomes less than a mile away. I drove by there today and saw some "abandoned" buildings but I think the area will develop in the next few years but can't really tell. The only modern building I see in that area is the AT&T building and I am not too impressed with those little shops across the street from it.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:17 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,459 times
Keep in mind that apartment reviews always skew negative, but when you read about the same types of things over and over again, there's probably something to it.

You should spend some nights or weekends walking or driving around there and see how comfortable you are.

The APD has some useful crime maps:

APD Find My Zone

Like I said, I know nothing about real estate, but if I had to put my money on the future of that neighborhood, I don't think it's very promising... there are just too many areas in Atlanta which are much more desirable.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:55 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
I live about 2 miles from that area. I think that $315K for a townhome in that neighborhood is a generous price. There are definitely homes in a 3 mile radius for less than that, though they probably are not as big.

You do have relatively fast access to I 75, I85 and GA400, but you are also in a high traffic area half a mile from a highway overpass with little or no buffer from the streets.

Is it a good investment? Long term, probably. That zone is one of the few areas with undeveloped/underdeveloped space, but there is a condo complex on the next block that has sat 1/8th built for years. No one can predict the future or time the market... but this is not a property that I would expect a quick turnaround profit on.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:09 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,995,264 times
I live a mile or two from here. I think that price seems very high for a town home in that area, depending on the finishes, etc. You are solidly in the price range for older single family homes in the nearby neighborhood of Lindbridge/Martin Manor...I would buy one of those houses before I would pay $300K for a townhome near the Marta station. . .The townhome fits your lifestyle now but in a few years you may regret the purchase. What if you get married? Want a dog? Decide the neighborhood is too noisy or crime-infested? There are apartments all around there. Maybe rent first and see if you like it...

Old 06-28-2013, 09:15 AM

368 posts, read 539,409 times
I know several people that live in the apartments right there (AMLI) and they've never had any problems.
Looking at the APD's online crime maps, in the past month the only crimes in that area were auto-related (two auto break-ins and one auto theft). That's a big problem almost anywhere in the city, including Midtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta