Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 03:40 PM

421 posts, read 749,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Maybe, maybe not. Still doesn't change that men still have more options here and finding a man that wants a serious relationship is nearly impossible.
How do you figure men "have more options"? If there are roughly same amount of women to men then how is that possible?

Old 07-24-2013, 03:45 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post
How do you figure men "have more options"? If there are roughly same amount of women to men then how is that possible?
You have to narrow it down to men that are single, quality, straight and emotionally available. It's not simply a one-to-one comparison. Bottom line is, Atlanta just isn't a good place for single black women. 40% of white women get married in Atlanta compared to 20% of black women.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
You have to narrow it down to men that are single, quality, straight and emotionally available. It's not simply a one-to-one comparison.
So your argument is that there are more "eligible" women then men here simply because men are more likely to be crazy or just undatable for whatever reason? Tons of you are lesbian, emotionally unstable, etc too. You think is easier to find a good woman in Atlanta or anywhere for that matter! Lets be real; men and women all over have same complaints.

I've heard complaints about dating in the almighty NYC. Dating is just hard and people aren't marrying like they used to.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:03 PM

My girlfriend's dad (black and attractive) who is a widower and in his 50s actually wants a woman with kids because he wants to raise another family. He can't find anything but crazy women with all kinds of odd issues or attitudes or some sort of drama.

He is retired military, ex Sargent and has a nice big house in Gwinett. Why can't he find all these awesome emotionally stable women in Atlanta?

Last edited by Freeminds; 07-24-2013 at 04:49 PM..

Old 07-24-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
It's not simply a one-to-one comparison. Bottom line is, Atlanta just isn't a good place for single black women. 40% of white women get married in Atlanta compared to 20% of black women.
I missed this. Black women all over the country aren't getting married much. It's a big issue. I say they just date outside the race.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:11 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post
I missed this. Black women all over the country aren't getting married much. It's a big issue. I say they just date outside the race.
It's not that easy because black women are the least desired of women of all races in this country, which is why black women don't get married much. Black women aren't marrying because they don't want to be married, black women aren't marrying because they don't have many options to choose from.

I agree that black women shouldn't limit themselves to black men. I don't myself. But men of other races also have to be open to wanting to marry black women and many aren't.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:50 PM

4 posts, read 16,583 times
The 20:1 ration is a myth that has been applied to the city. It started in the mid 80's through the early 90's and was in reference to the Female-to-Male ratio of the HBCU's in Atlanta.

The problem with the question you ask is how you may define professional or educated because both are used very loosely. The city and surrounding areas are full of black males and females that have college degrees and post graduate degrees working in a broad range of fields that earn $40K-$70K a year. Is this considered professional? Depends on who you ask. Of course the higher up the socio-economic ladder you go the smaller the crowd so the whole question of single black professionals in Atlanta is somewhat of an enigma depending on who's asking and who's answering. If you are a in a high-end position and earn $250K a year then the pool of similar positioned counterparts will be smaller relative to someone who makes less; but the raw number of single black men at that level will be greater than most other cities in the U.S.

Here's a link detailing some black demographic information for Atlanta.... but as a black male I can assure you that the 20:1 ratio is a myth BlackDemographics.com | Atlanta

Old 07-25-2013, 08:03 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Another factor in Atlanta affecting single black women dating single black men is the number of single black men who prefer to date other men honestly. Now that I'm living in another city Atlanta stands out to me as being the #1 spot I would choose to move to if I were a single black gay male.
Trust and believe, that scene isn't all what it's cracked up to be either. Too many men here have too many options, and there are a lot of flaky, shady bums looking for someone to take care of them. The people I know in the most stable [gay] relationships either moved here from someone else as a couple, or they found their partner in another city and moved there. While anecdotal, my observations aren't out of the ordinary.

As for women finding a good black man here, the further OTP you are, the more likely you are to find a decent, stable man who wants to settle down. That's a generalization because you can find a trifling man in Snellville just as easily as you can find one in the club/bar scene in the city.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:21 AM

While I don't agree with the whole " men have too many options" mantra, as if men will just settle with anything, doesn't that make you extra special to be chosen when that someone has many other options?

Old 07-25-2013, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 13,809 times
Quote:
It's not that easy because black women are the least desired of women of all races in this country, which is why black women don't get married much. Black women aren't marrying because they don't want to be married, black women aren't marrying because they don't have many options to choose from.

I agree that black women shouldn't limit themselves to black men. I don't myself. But men of other races also have to be open to wanting to marry black women and many aren't.
I strongly dislike it when people speak about black women as if we are a monolithic group. It may not be easy for some black women to attract suitable mates, but that's not the case for all of us.

In my experience, far too many black women waste time associating with the lowest quality mates, just to have a person around. In many cases, it's directly due to low self esteem and low self worth. Also, I find that some women set themselves up to fail by being overweight, having children outside of marriage and/or having a really bad attitude. In addition, some frequent the wrong locations and then complain about the selection. If you are a highly paid professional woman, your best bet is to join professional associations with like minded individuals. Another good idea is to find a professional match maker or join a well regarded online dating site, that requires "paid" memberships and some level of screening, so that you can set filters and only receive matches that meet or exceed your expectations.

I would never advise a woman in search of a committed relationship to frequent clubs or lounges, because they will be exposed to everything and anyone. This is not to say that people haven't met great mates in those venues, but it's just not usually the norm.

After living in Atlanta for a period of time, I knew that it wasn't for me, because I happen to prefer multi racial environments with a variety of different types of people and my dating preference has always been international men.

I currently live in CA and I'm in the midst of preparing for my wedding. My fiance' was raised in Victoria, British Columbia and he's quite the catch. If you want to be successful in the dating game, please stop viewing yourself as a low commodity, because this will surely set you up for failure. You can't change your race, or height, but you can dramatically improve your look by maintaining a healthy diet and overall attitude.

Lastly I will say, please don't be afraid to move, if your current environment doesn't suit you well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta