Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 06:58 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,653,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
JC and Alpharetta are along the 400 corridor, which is what I was referring to. The 400 corridor north of the perimeter is where the congestion is.
There are lots of jobs in that corridor. And for those who choose to commute in, it is a choice, often based on criteria that intown living simply can't provide. Let's start with the fact that the school systems are stable in those areas and you can be redistricted from one school to another and not feel much of a difference.

I wouldn't want to do that commute, but I totally get why people do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 07:05 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,471,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Sprawlanta! I love it!

"Oh so I hear you are from Atlanta"?

"Why I sure am!" (think Paula Deen accent)

"I want to go to downtown so how far is it?"

"Oh about 70 miles that a way"!
This planned community is about 30 miles from downtown. However, I've lived up this way for over 15 years and have only been downtown a handful of times. There's no reason to go downtown and in fact, I cringe just thinking about it. Alpharetta already has very good shopping, restaurants, parks and recreation and even a huge amphitheater for concerts.

On another note, this is a good sign that the economy is picking up!

Old 07-16-2013, 07:11 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,846,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
This planned community is about 30 miles from downtown. However, I've lived up this way for over 15 years and have only been downtown a handful of times. There's no reason to go downtown and in fact, I cringe just thinking about it.

On another note, this is a good sign that the economy is picking up! However, if you do the math, they are going to be very small lots. I guess some people prefer that?
Good, then stay OTP!
Reasons to go downtown:
Professional sports
world-class museums
tourist attractions
culture, something Forsyth County lacks.
oh and a brand new ferris wheel!

Old 07-16-2013, 09:21 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,365,359 times
My comments in bold:

Quote:
Good, then stay OTP!
Reasons to go downtown:
Professional sports- yay. Great if you're a sports fan, but useless to the majority of the population. You can only get 60-70,000 people in the Dome or Turner Field- the rest of the 5 million metro residents are smart enough to stay home and watch the game in the comfort of their homes instead of being gouged on ticket prices, beer prices, food prices, etc.

world-class museums- Great if you're into that. Even if you are, you're not going to visit the museums every week (at least most people don't), so if you want to go, you drive in- no need to live ITP to use the museums.

tourist attractions-the operative word their being "tourist"- most metro residents aren't going to the zoo, the aquarium or the World of Coke very often, so again- no need to live ITP to use the tourist attractions.

culture, something Forsyth County lacks- All I can say to that is, it's time to get over yourself. You're still stuck on the notion that everyplace OTP is filled with rednecks driving around with rebel flags on their pickup trucks, which is far from the case. On the contrary, you make it sound like the ITP neighborhoods are full of folks walking around in tuxedos and sipping tea with their pinkies out with your "culture" comment- again, that's far from the truth.

oh and a brand new ferris wheel! And to that I say again "yay"- another tourist attraction that most people will ride once at most, so big friggin' deal.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:22 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,973,067 times
Quote:
Good, then stay OTP!
Well, I'm happy to see growth. Growth means a more stable economy and more importantly, jobs. However, I do hope to see more smart growth and some actual planning!

There are ways to get a point across without sounding like a petulant child.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
My comments in bold:
Well the ferris wheel was sarcasm.
Families that buy season passes to the Zoo, aquarium, botanical gardens or any other attraction visit them on a regular basis.
Watching a sporting event in person can never compare to watching it in 3D on a 90' LED or whatever the most expensive home entertainment is. MLB is boring on TV, but exciting in real life.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:31 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,371,912 times
Quote:
But its adding to the degrading quality of life for the whole metro, adding more air pollution, and traffic to a corridor that is so over-capacity that the state turned break-down lanes into general purpose lanes. That was the worst idea ever!
This is an infrastructure problem, not a suburbs problem.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
This is an infrastructure problem, not a suburbs problem.
Its a state problem since its a state road. But by approving this project, it adds to the congestion and further degrades the quality of life for those that must use the corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta