Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 10:09 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,982,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
I'm not being negative but this is not "booming" as far I'm concerned other than a boom in apartment construction. Yes there is a lot of construction going on in the city at the moment for several reasons.

1)There is demand for intown housing and there were several years after the recession when there was virtually no new housing in the pipeline.
2)Its possible to get financing for rental buildings, especially in sub-markets such as Midtown and Buckhead, so that's what is being built for the most part.

Basically as someone said, Atlanta is growing again and the supply side is playing catch up with the demand for intown living.

A true boom in my opinion would include substantial job growth and though the local economy has improved, we are still below pre-recession job levels for the metro.
I'd say this is a fair and accurate description of what's going on right now. We are recovering pretty well, but not booming. Besides intown apartments, which are growing as fast as they ever have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 10:15 AM

298 posts, read 373,696 times
Here is a map of Atlanta developments:

Atlanta Development | A project by project display of Atlanta Development

I would definitely say construction is booming. Skyscrapers are not the metric on whether an area is "booming or not" - that era has passed.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:23 PM

858 posts, read 1,384,895 times
There's a lot more than apartments going up right now... retail, museums, offices, condos, townhouses, cultural centers, medical facilities, university facilities, even transit expansion... you name it, it's either being built or about to be built. If this isn't a construction boom (which I assume the OP means), I don't know what is.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:01 AM

28 posts, read 35,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLJR View Post
Here is a map of Atlanta developments:

Atlanta Development | A project by project display of Atlanta Development

I would definitely say construction is booming. Skyscrapers are not the metric on whether an area is "booming or not" - that era has passed.
That era has not passed... Skyscrapers are generally built later on during the economic cycle.. They'll probably get built when unemployment gets below 6 percent for Atl.

It's pretty amazing that at 8.7-8.9% unemployment Atlanta is 5th for construction development. I can't imagine what's in store for Atlanta when that rate gets below 6.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:43 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,651,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
There's a lot more than apartments going up right now... retail, museums, offices, condos, townhouses, cultural centers, medical facilities, university facilities, even transit expansion... you name it, it's either being built or about to be built. If this isn't a construction boom (which I assume the OP means), I don't know what is.
Yep! And don't forget traffic and more and more people.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:36 AM

298 posts, read 373,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avbanks View Post
That era has not passed... Skyscrapers are generally built later on during the economic cycle.. They'll probably get built when unemployment gets below 6 percent for Atl.

It's pretty amazing that at 8.7-8.9% unemployment Atlanta is 5th for construction development. I can't imagine what's in store for Atlanta when that rate gets below 6.
I'm not implying that skyscrapers won't be built, but the majority of companies no longer build skyscrapers as vanity projects in this day in age. People telecommute more than ever and many of the sectors of the economy that are growing and will grow in the future have workers who simply don't want to work in the environment that skyscrapers provide. Unique spaces like PCM will continue to trend as these companies attract talent. Some of Atlanta's office towers are being converted to other uses such as residential, because there's simply not a demand for that sort of office space.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Yep! And don't forget traffic and more and more people.
Um, if you have something against people and traffic, you probably don't belong in a city.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:14 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,651,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
Um, if you have something against people and traffic, you probably don't belong in a city.
Oh I live in a city alright, but not an asphalt jungle. Where I live can be considered a 'lot' more liveable that your Atlanta. And way more cool.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:35 PM

53 posts, read 104,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocca25 View Post
I have noticed that the pace of construction and development is starting to pick back up again all around the region. 2014 is projected to be a big year in Atl as major projects are complete and open.Ponce City Market, Buckhead Atlanta, Civil rights museum, College football hall of fame, and the new streetcar all open next year and will be game changers. I see a momentum going on. Is the pace of Atlanta's growth and boom starting to pick back up? Its exciting to see the city and metro area pick up speed post recession/economic recovery.
I was asking in reference to all of the projects that are under construction. I understand that it's not booming in terms of how it was pre-2007 and there aren't any skyscrapers going up like back then but you can't deny that construction has picked up recently.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Oh I live in a city alright, but not an asphalt jungle. Where I live can be considered a 'lot' more liveable that your Atlanta. And way more cool.
I meant a big city, and if you see it as an "asphalt jungle" it looks like I was right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta