Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 03:19 PM

144 posts, read 399,442 times

Advertisements

Ok, has anyone seen brown recluse spiders, or any other giant spider species in their homes in this area? We will be living in a masterplanned community more than likely. Our home will be back up to the woods with a lack in the back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 03:53 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,991 times
haven't ever seen them inside, but I've seen them outside, rarely.... I've actually seen more widows.... your worst enemy will probably be mice and rats. I stepped on a scorpion once when I was in high school, early morning coming down for breakfast. They're small though.

I've never seen or heard from anyone getting them in the house (30 years, Acworth).

I spray a general in-house insect killer once every two months around the house.... it's amazing how many insects it kills.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:06 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,102,565 times
I have found several black widows under pieces of wood in my yard, but never in the house. I have seen a few scorpions in the house over the years, and a few ugly looking wolf spiders, but never a brown recluse.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:01 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
I have found several black widows under pieces of wood in my yard, but never in the house. I have seen a few scorpions in the house over the years, and a few ugly looking wolf spiders, but never a brown recluse.
wow don't scare people

Wolf spider aren't from this area
they are from Australia

I have lived in GA for over 12 years and we live basically in the woods.

I do have arachnaphobia and don't like spiders at all (not even a little)
I have only seen 1 BR and 1 widow

my bigger fear is mosquitoes.. the only good thing to come out of the drought is that the population of them was lower this year

And also I have seen several (although not lately) Cow killer ants....which aren't really ant they are wingless wasps they look like a fuzzt red and black ant but are the size of a wasp DO NOT GET BIT BY THESE the bite won't kill you but it hurts so bad you would think it could "kill a cow"

Old 11-09-2007, 09:36 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,102,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
wow don't scare people

Wolf spider aren't from this area
they are from Australia
Wolf Spiders are found in most of the United States, with the species H. carolinensis (Carolina Wolf Spider) being the most common in GA. I see them all the time, fortunately not very often in the house. Do a Google search to check your facts.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:13 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otoatlanta View Post
Ok, has anyone seen brown recluse spiders, or any other giant spider species in their homes in this area? We will be living in a masterplanned community more than likely. Our home will be back up to the woods with a lack in the back.
We have a wooded backyard, but all I've seen for the past two years are a ton of house spiders with long legs and some garden spiders that seem to like weaving big orb webs across our front porch.

I once saw a smallish black shiny spider under a box in the garage, but it didn't seem to have any red markings.

Nothing "giant", though.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:45 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otoatlanta View Post
Brown Recluse spiders are very small, FYI. It's sometimes hard to I.D. them unless you get close enough to see the "fiddle" design on their heads. Some folks have them in their homes and never know it, but it's not an everyday thing. Keep in mind only a small percentage of people have the extreme reactions to the venom you see/hear about online or on TV. I was bit by one 3 years ago, and it caused a nasty sore about the size of a dime on my arm which did take a long time to heal, and required antibiotics, but my arm didn't rot off.

Wolf spiders are the most common in homes. They're actually good.. they hunt down and kill Recluse spiders, FYI.

Black widows are more common outside. They leave you alone unless you threaten their nests. Just don't reach under stuff outside (brick piles, wood piles, junk) unless you have thick gloves on.

Writing spiders are cool - HUGE and leave designs on their webs, but they never come in a house... just hang out around bushes and porch corners.

Note: Just keep your house sprayed on a regular basis. Once a month should drastically cut down on any you see. Honestly, you'll probably see more SNAKES near that lake you want to live in front of than spiders in your house.
http://bestsmileys.com/scared/2.gif (broken link)

Old 12-23-2008, 12:54 AM

1 posts, read 7,295 times
everything u said, including the part about how u live basically in the woods,is true for me. I also have a bad case of arachnaphobia and don't like doing alot of yard work where i have have to move stuff that has been sitting in the same place for a long time becuase of the fear that i might run into a spider. Those cow killer ants u mention, i see plent of those, especially under old piles of leaves where it is damp. Until u wrote about them, I just thought they were fire ant and black ants that had mated together and I thought I was the only won that had ever seen them. Well, I know to stay away from them now thanks to u.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: