Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 11:19 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
Every city in America is segregated. Do a search on here for the thread regarding segregation in American cities and the maps that showed the segregation. You will see that Atlanta is less segregated than most cities.

By the way every city on earth exactly how u described Atanta as far as downtown and the suburbs
That's not true. There are plenty of cities that are majority white (New York, Philly, Denver, Chicago, Phoenix, San Diego, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 11:22 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
That's not true. There are plenty of cities that are majority white (New York, Philly, Denver, Chicago, Phoenix, San Diego, etc.).
No I ment that every city has jobs and entertainment downtown and suburbs for families.

Why arent Alaskan cities diverse?

Old 07-17-2013, 11:23 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Except most of the black population of the Atlanta metro lives in the suburbs. Atlanta is also continually dropping it's black pop. in the city itself. Soon, the black percentage will no longer be over 50% and the white population of the city of Atlanta continues to increase.

It's clear you don't know much outside your little state of Alaska so just stay there.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:25 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
I can't believe this guy said NYC and Chicago are majority white. Wow. He even said Philly LOL. Who is this guy? It's very clear he does not know about the cities in the lower 48. As I just said, stay in your little isolated state of Alaska.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:27 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
When I visited a few years ago, it seemed almost like there was a self-imposed segregation. I mean, Atlanta seemed to be overwhelmingly black and the surrounding suburbs are overwhelmingly white.
That has sort of been reversing itself in the past few decades. Many of the suburbs are now heavily or completely black. In contrast, the city proper has been losing its black population and gaining whites. The metro area is also home to a growing number of Asians, Hispanics and other minorities, but again, most of the diversity is in the suburbs.

As to why our quality of life is so high, I think it comes down to the basic fact that we have a remarkable number of good folks here. We care about our neighborhoods and don't want to be run over by developers.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:31 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Atlanta has such a high quality of life because it has jobs and low cost of living. You can earn dollars and they will go farther. Being a transportation hub and having plenty of land are the main things that contributes to that. Plus we have good weather, lush foliage, and easy access for travel.

Quote:
When I visited a few years ago, it seemed almost like there was a self-imposed segregation. I mean, Atlanta seemed to be overwhelmingly black and the surrounding suburbs are overwhelmingly white. It also seems as if most people mainly go to Atlanta for work or maybe to catch a ball game but their homes are in the suburbs. If this is true, then why?
I have traveled a lot and Atlanta is probably the most diverse city I have been to (Granted I have seen a lot more of Atlanta. The lines are a lot more blurred than other cities, especially compared to a lot of the cities in the north east.

Race and ethnicity 2010 - a set on Flickr

Of course some parts of OTP are your typical white suburbia but any metro area has that. But contrast that with areas on the east side and Buford Highway.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:38 AM

259 posts, read 394,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
What street would that be? Certainly not my street or any other street I know of.
Check the white celebrities thread.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:40 AM

63 posts, read 79,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
By the way every city on earth exactly how u described Atanta as far as downtown and the suburbs
I think the point was that nobody actually lives in the city, which has its merits. Until the past ~10 years there was not a meaningful amount of vertical residential options. Sprawl, in its most basic sense, seeks space and affordability and high-rise living wasn't prevalent here. It's my opinion that the combination of traffic and transplants accustomed to that kind of residence shifted the demand in favor of the multitude of high rises in Midtown, Buckhead, Atlantic station; even Brookhaven has a mid-rise apartment or two.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:49 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Quote:
Doesn't get too hot or humid in summer.
Are you sure you live in Atlanta????

LOL!

Old 07-17-2013, 11:55 AM

259 posts, read 394,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Are you sure you live in Atlanta????

LOL!
You have already proven that anything over 80 degree and 40% humidity is "too hot" for you. Aren't you from Florida?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta