Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 09:40 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,254 times

Advertisements

Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 09:42 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Because we 1. don't have to spend every winter shoveling snow and 2. if you like to spend every winter shoveling snow we have an airport that will deliver you to any number of places where you can do that.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:47 AM

259 posts, read 394,069 times
Word on the street is, no one lives here because they want to. Not sure where you get this "high" quality of life idea from.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Because we 1. don't have to spend every winter shoveling snow and 2. if you like to spend every winter shoveling snow we have an airport that will deliver you to any number of places where you can do that.
True. We never had a natural disaster, low cost of living, crime generally is not bad (we do not have to worry about 70 people being shot in one weekend like Chicago does) etc

Old 07-17-2013, 10:12 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Doesn't get too hot or humid in summer. Doesn't get too cold in winter. If it does snow it's just a few inches and lasts a day or 2. You can find some very good school and very safe areas. Traffic is bad but not the worst. Nice geography that isn't flat but isn't mountainous. Most places don't have to worry about flooding. Most important economic center south of DC, east of Dallas and north of Miami. Many top companies located here. Strong middle class. Many families from over the country move/ have moved here and have made a nice mix. Very good colleges like Emory, GT, Mercer, other colleges like Georgia State and smaller colleges. I'm not sure exactly what you wondering about, it's rather vague asking about quality of life since there are so many different factors.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:42 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangejelly View Post
Word on the street is, no one lives here because they want to. Not sure where you get this "high" quality of life idea from.
What street would that be? Certainly not my street or any other street I know of.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:52 AM

402 posts, read 703,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangejelly View Post
lol

Old 07-17-2013, 10:55 AM

246 posts, read 374,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
What street would that be? Certainly not my street or any other street I know of.
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...l#post30497604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
No one with means wants to stay in Atlanta unless they have to for work.

Case in point, there are virtually NONE HERE.

People who think they may want to stay here should they ever win an Oscar, you are delusional and/or high and need to get out of the city more often.

Guess what Miami has that Atlanta doesn't besides a great night life? WATER. Rich people tend to like that kinda thing.

By landscape I meant topography. There are no places where they can build their house on top of a mountain and have an expansive view...allowing them to say to themselves, "I'm king of the world". With all the trees blocking the views, and I love the trees, Atlanta might as well be flat. There are some exceptions, but not many.

Hey, I just heard that Brad Pitt and George Clooney want to buy a place here. How stupid did that sound?

Old 07-17-2013, 10:57 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
When I visited a few years ago, it seemed almost like there was a self-imposed segregation. I mean, Atlanta seemed to be overwhelmingly black and the surrounding suburbs are overwhelmingly white. It also seems as if most people mainly go to Atlanta for work or maybe to catch a ball game but their homes are in the suburbs. If this is true, then why?

Old 07-17-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
When I visited a few years ago, it seemed almost like there was a self-imposed segregation. I mean, Atlanta seemed to be overwhelmingly black and the surrounding suburbs are overwhelmingly white. It also seems as if most people mainly go to Atlanta for work or maybe to catch a ball game but their homes are in the suburbs. If this is true, then why?
Every city in America is segregated. Do a search on here for the thread regarding segregation in American cities and the maps that showed the segregation. You will see that Atlanta is less segregated than most cities.

By the way every city on earth exactly how u described Atanta as far as downtown and the suburbs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta