Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 04:14 PM

632 posts, read 932,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post

it just has been for like 20+ years. there's also a "disco kroger" (buckhead on piedmont), "kosher kroger" (north druid hills and lavista), "gay kroger" (monroe at ansley mall), "hipster kroger" (edgewood)...
That is hilarious. I think every Kroger in Atlanta proper needs to be updated (except maybe Disco Kroger and Hippie Kroger). All the nice Krogers are in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 07:21 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,993 times
Regarding the name of that Kroger on Ponce, I believe that it's various nicknames began in the late 1980's when it was still a fairly new store. Someone was shot & killed in the parking lot in front of the store. After that point, it seems as though the fear factor changed the clientele & Kroger stopped investing the kind of money into the location as compared to what they spent on their Ansley location.
I've since heard it called Crack Kroger & Scary Kroger but the Murder Kroger name is a new one for me.
A couple of people here have posted some other Kroger store nicknames so I've got to throw something out here in response. When I moved here in 1979, the Ansley Kroger was in the actual mall in the present CVS Drugstore location & a SuperX Drugstore was right next door to it in the current Pier One Imports store. At that time that Kroger had nicknames too & I knew of Cosmic Kroger &...drumroll, Disco Kroger. It was called that because the clientele who gathered at all of the Midtown dance spots would be seen there in non-disco garb & during non-party hours.
After Limelight opened in a Buckhead strip mall in February of 1980 several months after my arrival here, the big Kroger up in that strip gradually usurped the Disco Kroger name & it stuck thereafter for that location.
Does anyone else remember that naming sequence the way I do? When I've asked a couple friends of mine about it, they have said that I'm wrong but given that I know there was already a Disco Kroger nickname being used when I moved here well before the Limelight night club ever opened, I swear that what I recall is the way it was.
Help with corroboration if you can!! Mr. Backstreet Tamborine Man are you there?

Old 07-24-2013, 09:42 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
It'd only be 20 or so steps to get from the Beltline to Ponce, but the alternative now if you're using the Beltline is to walk over to the Kroger parking lot and use the goat path. Or walk to Ponce, go left on Ponce Place, walk behind Paris on Ponce and catch it there.
That situation won't last forever. PCM will give Beltliners direct access to Ponce.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:53 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
That situation won't last forever. PCM will give Beltliners direct access to Ponce.
True, but that doesn't help people at the Whole Foods/Home Depot shopping center.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:56 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
True, but that doesn't help people at the Whole Foods/Home Depot shopping center.
Sure it will. They can cross Ponce and walk thru PCM to the BeltLine.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:01 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Sure it will. They can cross Ponce and walk thru PCM to the BeltLine.
They can already cross Ponce and get to the Beltline.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:35 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Yeah, via the Red Dirt Canyon discussed earlier.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:55 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
There is a big grade difference between Midtown Place and the BeltLine.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:57 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yeah, via the Red Dirt Canyon discussed earlier.
It's actually more like a ten foot long dirt hump the size of a little league pitchers mound.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:58 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
There is a big grade difference between Midtown Place and the BeltLine.
We've been over this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta