U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-19-2013, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
294 posts, read 401,118 times
Reputation: 157

Advertisements

Yet another great thing on the eastside beltline trail neighbothoods!

From Atlanta Business Chronicles:

Cincinnati-based The*Kroger Co.*plans to invest $1.5 million into its grocery store at 725 Ponce de Leon Ave., near the massive reurbanization project Ponce City Market.Renovations will include upgrading the store’s decor and expanding its pharmacy, according to*Glynn Jenkins, spokesman for Kroger’s Atlanta Division. “We continue to invest in communities so that shoppers have access to healthy, affordable food options, and to provide jobs and training for residents,” he said in a statement.A permit for $700,000 worth of work was filed in Atlanta on July 8. Jenkins said he’s not sure when construction will start. “I won’t have a tentative date until the project has been awarded to a contractor following bids,” he said.The deadline for bids is Aug. 6.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-19-2013, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
668 posts, read 897,220 times
Reputation: 600
About time, although it's too bad that they only do updates to this location when they perceive incoming threats. The last time they made any attempts at improvements was back when Harris Teeter announced they were opening in the location that is now Whole Foods on Ponce.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2013, 10:04 AM
 
Location: NW Atlanta
6,205 posts, read 4,808,016 times
Reputation: 3874
Too bad they aren't doing anything about the huge parking lot fronting Ponce.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2013, 10:21 AM
 
2,167 posts, read 2,446,794 times
Reputation: 1510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Too bad they aren't doing anything about the huge parking lot fronting Ponce.
What would you like them to do about it? That parking lot serves many nearby small business as well as the Kroger.

What they need (badly) is a better connection to the BeltLine. Right now there is not really any "front door" access from the Eastside Trail to a grocer. The steep little dirt path at Murder Kroger is pretty much the best current option. Whole Foods is inaccessible from the trail, and the grade changes there would make that a HUGE undertaking. Trader Joe's miiiight be able to make a connection via that little side entrance. The Kroger is sort of uniquely positioned in that they can easily make a trail connection without massive grade changes, that won't require cyclists or pedestrians to navigate a parking lot.

Once PCM is done, there will be a lot more retail directly from the trail. The grades make it near-imopssible but I'd love to see a way to access the HD/Whole Foods area directly from the trail. To make it a really "transformational" system, people need to have access to the things and places they shop on a daily and weekly basis.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2013, 10:31 AM
JPD
 
12,159 posts, read 16,469,275 times
Reputation: 7966
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
What would you like them to do about it? That parking lot serves many nearby small business as well as the Kroger.

What they need (badly) is a better connection to the BeltLine. Right now there is not really any "front door" access from the Eastside Trail to a grocer. The steep little dirt path at Murder Kroger is pretty much the best current option. Whole Foods is inaccessible from the trail, and the grade changes there would make that a HUGE undertaking. Trader Joe's miiiight be able to make a connection via that little side entrance. The Kroger is sort of uniquely positioned in that they can easily make a trail connection without massive grade changes, that won't require cyclists or pedestrians to navigate a parking lot.

Once PCM is done, there will be a lot more retail directly from the trail. The grades make it near-imopssible but I'd love to see a way to access the HD/Whole Foods area directly from the trail. To make it a really "transformational" system, people need to have access to the things and places they shop on a daily and weekly basis.
I read last week that Kroger is going to create a sidewalk connection to the Beltline. Can't remember where I read that. Seems obvious and easy enough to do. I agree about the Whole Foods shopping center connection. You have to go way out of your way to get there from the Beltline, and it runs right behind it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2013, 10:36 AM
 
2,167 posts, read 2,446,794 times
Reputation: 1510
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I read last week that Kroger is going to create a sidewalk connection to the Beltline. Can't remember where I read that. Seems obvious and easy enough to do. I agree about the Whole Foods shopping center connection. You have to go way out of your way to get there from the Beltline, and it runs right behind it.
I've pondered this more than I care to admit. Consider that when you are standing behind Whole Foods on the trail, you are looking down on the roof . . . so you've gotta drop like 50 feet (?) vertically to be at parking lot level. Pretty much no way to do that without switchbacks or stairs, neither of which are really attractive options.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2013, 10:43 AM
JPD
 
12,159 posts, read 16,469,275 times
Reputation: 7966
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
I've pondered this more than I care to admit. Consider that when you are standing behind Whole Foods on the trail, you are looking down on the roof . . . so you've gotta drop like 50 feet (?) vertically to be at parking lot level. Pretty much no way to do that without switchbacks or stairs, neither of which are really attractive options.
Either that, or begin a downslope immediately after the bridge, and ending near the Home Depot.

Or at the very least, a simple stairway to the sidewalk on Ponce.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2013, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
668 posts, read 897,220 times
Reputation: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
I've pondered this more than I care to admit. Consider that when you are standing behind Whole Foods on the trail, you are looking down on the roof . . . so you've gotta drop like 50 feet (?) vertically to be at parking lot level. Pretty much no way to do that without switchbacks or stairs, neither of which are really attractive options.
I thought I read that creating an access point to Ponce was going to be one of the undertakings in the upcoming year?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2013, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
23,728 posts, read 20,622,860 times
Reputation: 5637
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Either that, or begin a downslope immediately after the bridge, and ending near the Home Depot.

Or at the very least, a simple stairway to the sidewalk on Ponce.
The area to the west of the trail is reserved for future transit use, so a sloped ramp to HD is out of the question. There will be a direct connection from the BeltLine to PCM. People wishing to go to Midtown Place, could access PCM and walk across Ponce? North Ave is getting stairs from BeltLine to the street.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2013, 10:56 AM
JPD
 
12,159 posts, read 16,469,275 times
Reputation: 7966
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The area to the west of the trail is reserved for future transit use, so a sloped ramp to HD is out of the question. There will be a direct connection from the BeltLine to PCM. People wishing to go to Midtown Place, could access PCM and walk across Ponce? North Ave is getting stairs from BeltLine to the street.
In that case, a stairway from the trail to the sidewalk in front of Paris on Ponce.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top